Scanning from PDF Xchange on Windows 10  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ChrisJ83
User

Scanning from PDF Xchange on Windows 10

Post by ChrisJ83 »

Hi all

Just upgraded to Windows 10 and subsequently having issues with scanning from within PDF Xchange.

It seems to load Windows 10 scanning options, which don't show options such as resolution and duplex.

Does anyone know if I can change which options it loads to give me the above options?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scanning from PDF Xchange on Windows 10

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi ChrisJ83,

Thanks for the post - please make sure that the option to Show Native UI is unchecked and it then use the Editor's scan dialogue.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

I have the same situation and the "Show Native UI" box is not checked. I have an Epson GT-S50 scanner. It is a duplex scanner. I have PDF-Xchange set to "Full Duplex (Hardware)" but it will not scan both sides.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello mleithman,

Thank you for the post and welcome to our forums.
I have the same situation and the "Show Native UI" box is not checked.
Could you please post a screenshot of the dialogue you see when trying to scan? With "Show Native UI" unchecked, you should see no dialogue other than the one shown below:

When "Show Native UI" is checked, clicking on "Scan" should bring up the scanner's default scan settings window:

To post your screenshots, please save them in a zip archive, and upload the file. Otherwise, you can place the images inline by posting the image to the internet (I use http://imgur.com), then place a link to that image location using special tags. See below for an example.

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.imgur.com/cihNVMW.png[/img]
Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

Here is the screen shot I am just getting back to this problem.
Attachments
Xchg screen shot.PNG
Xchg screen shot.PNG (227.86 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello mleithman,

Do you have any other instances of your scanner in the selection drop down menu? If so please try the second option and see if that helps.

Thanks!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

If I choose the other scanner option, I loose the "Full Duplex (Hardware)" option on the "sides" drop down.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello mleithman,

Thank you for the post. The issue for this topic states that "It seems to load Windows 10 scanning options, which don't show options such as resolution and duplex."

From your screenshot, it seems that you are able to change the resolution and select duplex scan. Please specifically describe the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

I can change it to duplex scan, but it does not actually duplex scan. I did not have this problem before Window 10.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you for clarifying. Are you able to scan duplex to Microsoft Paint for example?

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

I don't use Microsoft Paint. If I use the Epson Scan icon on my desktop I am able to duplex scan. I would prefer to use PDF-Xchange to scan all documents, but I need the duplex option to work.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello mleithman,

Please try scanning duplex using MS Paint as test and let us know the results. I suspect this is because your scanner drivers are not totally 64 bit. If that is true, you will not be able to scan duplex in MS Paint either.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

When I tried to scan in Microsoft Paint there is not an option to select types of scanning (duplex or simplex).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi mleithman,

Do you have any other duplex capable, 64-bit applications that you can test with? It's important that any applications you test with are the same architecture as the Editor; on a 64-bit OS, this should be 64-bit.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mleithman
User

Post by mleithman »

I do not have another program that scans. I did check to verify that Windows 10 is set to 64-bit. I verified that the Epson driver is set to 64-bit. I loaded the latest driver. We even deleted PDF Xchange Editor from the computer and reloaded it, but it still will not duplex scan, even when the dialog box is set to duplex scan. Is there a setting within PDF Xchange editor? I ask this because if I use the Epson icon to scan (rather than PDF Xchange Editor) I can duplex scan.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scanning from PDF Xchange on Windows 10  SOLVED

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

For other user's interest, this issue was indeed the 64 bit drivers through WIA. Using the 32 bit portable Editor allowed use of the 32 bit TWAIN drivers whose duplex functionality does work.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
dan deister
User

Post by dan deister »

Hello, I am facing the same issue, full duplex scan returns just 1 side, from the ADF (feeder). I am running on Win7 Pro, 64 bit, PDF-Xchange Editor Plus, 6.0, build 318.1, printer is HP OfficeJet Pro 7740. I have tried all three 7740 printers listed in the Editor drop list. If I scan using the HP printer menu, full duplex scanning works.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello dan deister,

Please try using the 32 bit portable Editor available here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downlo ... rtable.zip

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
dan deister
User

Post by dan deister »

Hi Patrick,

Yes, this works. And the Data Transfer Method: Native Mode with "Show Native UI", offers the "auto orient" option, which is nice.

So, what is the recommendation? Will there be a fix coming for the PDF Exchange Editor Plus I have now, with a license? Or am I to switch to the portable version? And if so, how do I transfer my license?

Thanks - Dan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the post - If this is working with the 32-bit Portable Editor and not the 64-bit installed Editor, then that means that the manufacturer doesn't supply this functionality with the 64-bit drivers, so no 64-bit application will be able to use this functionality. The Portable Editor is the only solution that we can recommend.
And if so, how do I transfer my license?
You'll just need to copy/paste your license key under Help --> Enter a License Key in the Portable Editor and you should be good to go.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
dan deister
User

Post by dan deister »

Hi Will, Actually, I was able to update my Editor Plus 6.0 from build 318 (64-bit probably) to build 321 32-bit (same build as the portable version that Patrick pointed me to), my license appears to have come over automatically, and the TWAIN is available and working just as with the portable version. So, I think I am set. Thank you for your prompt and helpful support! - Dan P.S. I may try installing the Editor Plus 64-bit version of build 321 and see what that does. But, we will see if I have time.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Dan,

If you installed via the 32-bit MSI, we strongly reocmmend that you do not do this. Installing using a 32-bit MSI on a 64-bit system is not supported by us or Microsoft, as it strictly speaking shouldn't actually work at all. It can and often does cause instabilities that we cannot assist with. I would recommend re-installing the 64-bit release and using the Portable Editor, or just sticking with the Portable Editor.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
dan deister
User

Post by dan deister »

Hello again, I am back to the same problem where the "duplex/double-sided" scan feature of my HP 7740 printer is not being used. Since getting this working above in April, my computer drive C: needed to be "flattened and reloaded", again with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I have installed PDF Exchange Pro latest version, 6.0.322.7. However, for scans, I am running the Portable version (PDFX-Edit6-PORTABLE) from the download link give on Mar 31. The Portable version offers the TWAIN printer choice, and the "Full Duplex" choice, but scans just one side of the paper from the feeder. I also notice that the "native UI" is not what it was in Mar/Apr above. For example, the "auto orient" option is missing. - Dan
dan deister
User

Post by dan deister »

Please Cancel above. User Error :) . The problem has been solved, I needed to install software from HP for the 7740 printer, rather than using just the driver that gets loaded when connecting the printer as USB. I now get the expected Native UI window, and the Duplex Scanning works! - Dan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Dan,

Glad to hear all is now resolved!

Cheers,
Stefan