PDF-XChange Editor not accepted as standard pdf-program

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Joepie
User

PDF-XChange Editor not accepted as standard pdf-program

Post by Joepie »

When opening a .pdf file in Explorer (Windows 10) it is opened by Microsoft Edge.
When opening Editor I get the message that I can set the Editor as default app through Edit>Preferences>File Associations. But when I am there it is not obvious how I can change Edge as current pdf-application.
How can I fix this?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor not accepted as standard pdf-program

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Joepie,

Thanks for the post - Using the options under Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations will set the Editor as the default PDF handler. There can only be one default handler for any given file type, so this will by nature remove Edge's association with PDF files.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
jigbon
User

Post by jigbon »

Hi I have followed all insturctions re making PDF exchange view my default pdf and wherever i look it is the default programme control panel, edit on pdf viewer programme etc .However wherever I try to attach my pdf viewer onto an email or send via the view itself it converts to the uselss EDGE and i lose all my mark ups etc.
Joepie
User

Post by Joepie »

jigbon wrote:Hi I have followed all insturctions re making PDF exchange view my default pdf and wherever i look it is the default programme control panel, edit on pdf viewer programme etc .However wherever I try to attach my pdf viewer onto an email or send via the view itself it converts to the uselss EDGE and i lose all my mark ups etc.
Same with me. Something 'kills' the change.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Does right clicking a PDF in Explorer, then selecting Open With --> Choose Another App --> PDF-XChange Editor with the check box to Always use this app to open .pdf files help?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I think we must make a very clear distinction between:
1) Windows (File) Explorer
2) Microsoft Edge browser
3) Microsoft Internet Explorer browser

1) In Windows Explorer, it can be set that PDF-files should always open with a particular PDF-viewer or -editor, like Will said, via a right mouse click > Open with > Choose another program > select your preferred application > check "Always use this app ..." and click OK.

2) In Microsoft Edge Browser, I am afraid that there is no way to change its behavior that opens PDFs with its own viewer.

3) In Microsoft Internet Explorer, PDFs are opened depending on the specific PDF-viewer or -editor where it has last been set to "Display in browser". If this should not work as expected, then please find more information in the following (long) topic:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 6&p=107700

The most important thing in that topic is the solution:
= delete the following key in Windows Registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\MIMEAssociations\application/pdf

and if it still would not work, also delete this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

It may be worth noting that Windows 10 will often restrict third party applications from being set as a default. Windows 10 has made a significant change to the way applications are able to set themselves as the default application for handling certain file types. To quickly summarize, since Windows 7, Microsoft has added a new registry subkey, named “UserChoice”, to certain file extensions under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts, and the contents of the UserChoice subkey dictate the default application for opening the file type. The contents of the UserChoice subkey are protected from modification by a Deny permission applied to the current user’s account.

A quick workaround is to manually set the defaults under Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

If the defaults continue to be reset to the metro apps, you may try the registry hack supplied here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windo ... ociations/

Disclaimer: This is an unverified source. Please use this registry modification at your own risk.

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America