pencil tool - turning off smoothing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

marcin19545
User

pencil tool - turning off smoothing

Post by marcin19545 »

Hi,

I use one of wacom pen tablet (intous pro) , when i'm using pencil tool (free hand) in pdf x-change editor after i finish my drawing all lines are automatically smoothed.

How do i can control its curvature and smooth level? Can i could turn it off to get all lines as i draw them?

My os is win10
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: pencil tool - turning off smoothing

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

A similar question was posted more than one and a half year ago:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 84&p=96285

On 7/12/2015, it was promised to "... bring this up to the attention of our devs ...", but since then there was no more news.

Tracker Support ?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Unfortunately we've heard nothing more that I can find, but I've put in another request for this.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

Hello, first post here. Love the software but the smoothing makes hand annotation unusable past a certain amount of zoom. Other software don't do it.
I use Xchange Editor for everything except for switching to Foxit when it comes to pencil annotations and placing signatures with a certificate (second issue is unrelated to the smoothing)

Thank you
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi ziopaper2,

Welcome to our forums.
the smoothing makes hand annotation unusable past a certain amount of zoom.
Could you please describe what you mean? In my tests, I see that certain lines become perfectly straight instead of containing the subtle curve one would expect from e.g. a handwritten "r". Is this what you are referring to?

Regarding this:
placing signatures with a certificate (second issue is unrelated to the smoothing)
Could you please post some details in a new topic regarding this issue as well as your reason for switching to Foxit for this operations?

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

Hi Patrick, thanks for the quick reply.
Regarding the smoothing, yes. I zoom in to draw electrical symbols and they are smoothed to a level that I do not want. The other users described this accurately, both in this page and at https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 84&p=96285

If you zoom to 1200%, most drawings are completely deformed and can't be used. At 600%, the smoothing is somehow less, but still the symbols I draw look completely different than what I would like. This I think could be a feature that the user should be able to activate or not, or even better select how much smoothing is applied.

Thank you
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi ziopaper2,

Thanks for the post - I've made a note to bring this up our next support meeting. We do have quite an old feature request ticket for this, so I've re-opened that too. The ticket number is RT-399, for those interested.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Just for an additional info:

1) With PDF-XChange Editor V6 you can have a line thickness for the Pencil comment tool of just 0,1 pt whereas in Adobe Reader DC and Foxit Reader 8.14 the minimum is 1 pt (or more).

2) I did a test by drawing a first letter "W" with the pencil tool in Foxit Reader (see attachment).
After that I added three more letters at the right of it, on the hand of PDF-XChange Editor.

You can see that I do not succeed to make something that resembles the first "W" made with Foxit Reader.
The smoothing is somewhat too pronounced in PDF-XChange Editor.
Attachments
Pencil Tool test.pdf
(18.68 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

adding to Willy's file, see attached.
I was trying to draw the symbol of an inductor, letter G, number 6 and letter S
First is done with Foxit, 2nd with Xchange.

I am using a tablet pen, not the mouse

Thank you - I appreciate that you guys participate and listen to our feedback
Attachments
Pencil Tool test.pdf
(27.1 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

The ticket RT#399 was created in 2010. This feature was intended for implementation for V3 (initial release of the Editor) but never made it to the publicly available releases.

With the increasing popularity and availability of touch screen devices and styluses, it is obvious that this is a crucial function which needs to be fixed or modified as soon as possible. As such, I have elevated the priority of this ticket.

Thank you all for resurrecting this. I suspect it is affecting a great many of our users.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
sjleejf
User

Post by sjleejf »

Hi Patrick,

Any news about implementing the ability to turn off pencil smoothing?

For me, I love the software, but the forced pencil smoothing is really frustrating.

At least give us the option to turn off this functionality.

Thank you.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi sjleejf,

Thanks for the post - As I'm given to understand, it's still planned, but I don't have any info. on when just yet.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Guys,

Please try the settings from the attached file. It contains two reg files.
The normal smoothing level is 100%, and the other file if double clicked will set the smoothing to 30% only - which should allow for a better result when using the pencil tool for e.g. writing.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
ChangePencilSmoothLevel.zip
(669 Bytes) Downloaded 358 times
sjleejf
User

Post by sjleejf »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a bunch for the files! It's certainly a lot better than before. ^^

1. Is there a way to turn off the smoothing effect completely?
2. After I have applied the 30% smoothing, when I draw a line with a pencil, the line gets shrunk down a little. I think this is an unintended bug. Right?

Thanks a lot.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello sjleejf,

You can open the .reg file in e.g. notepad - and change the value from 30 to a smaller number - and experiment if that produces any better results for you.
As for the shrinking - I will need to run some tests here at my end and see if I can reproduce it. Just to make sure - please check that you are at build 322.4 - to make sure that this shrinking issue is not already resolved in a later build!

Cheers,
Stefan
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

much better! at 800% zoom it looks pretty good!
thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to hear that ziopaper2!!!

Cheers,
Stefan
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

I have the same problem on a new Surface Pro (2017) with the Surface stylus. My handwriting is altered to the point of being unreadable. I tried a bunch of different setting for the registry keys, but the are all ignored. In fact, the keys are deleted by PDF-XChange Editor as soon as the program loads. OTOH, my handwriting looks good on my other pen apps in Windows 10 and on my iPad, and when using my Wacom tablet on anther computer.

I really wanted to be able to take notes on my pdf journal articles, but this is currently impossible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Can you please verify if you are working with the latest release of PDF-XChange Editor, namely Version 6.0 (build 322.4).

You can easily check this via the Help-menu > About.

With this version myself I do not see a problem (on my laptop) and the registry key remains after closing and restarting the Editor.
I can not tell you if the pen is "press sensitive" (I can not simulate this on my laptop).

You can always find the latest versions of Tracker Software via their product downloads page:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Best regards.
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

Yes, then latest: 6.0/322.4
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello RLM,

Thanks for confirming you have build 322.4.
Can you please try to set the registry value while the editor is closed down - and see if this reg entry sticks after an editor start and consecutive stop. (It should and if it doesn't then maybe something else is also altering the registry - e.g. your Antivirus)

Regards,
Stefan
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

Yes, this did work. Apparently the Editor writes its current settings when it closes down, overwriting my registry edit. On my Surface Pro, a setting of 10 (decimal) seems to work best. Not as good as OneNote, but MUCH better than before. Thanks for you help!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi RLM,

I am glad this is working better for you now. We are working on further improvements to handwriting in PDF.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

Hello,

this seams not to be working on 322.7

Can you confirm?

Thank you
Willy Van Nuffel
User

1) Myself, I can NOT confirm.
I do not have a tablet computer, but when I draw lines with the pencil tool while the InkSmoothLevel been set to 30 pct, I still see a much better behavior on my laptop screen, than when the InkSmoothLevel has been set to 100 pct.
You know that you must change this level while PDF-XChange Editor is closed.
I am using the most recent PDF-XChange Editor V6, build 322.7

N.B.: I see that the concerning Windows Registry key is not there by default in a totally fresh installation.
So maybe you have to re-apply this key on the hand of the REG-file (PencilSmoothLevel30perc.reg) included in the ZIP-file here above.

2) An other thing that can make a difference, when zooming in to lines that have been drawn with the pencil tool, is the "line thickness" switch.
You can switch the line thickness via CTRL + 5 (on the normal keyboard).
When you zoom in to max. 6400% you should clearly see a difference when you toggle this switch.
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

I applied the register tweak with the software closed. I do not see any changes. In a previous version (and different PC) the improvement was obvious

Marco
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

my bad, I was using the portable version. I am installing the regular version now. Most likely it will be ok
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Just what I still thought to ask: portable version or 64-bit ?
Myself, having done the test with the regular version 32-bit (PDF-XChange Editor V6, build 322.7).

Normally, the regular version 64-bit should work the same way as the regular 32-bit, whereas I am not sure for the portable version(s).

Maybe, Tracker Software Development can tell us something more about the synchronizing of changes/modifications between the regular and the portable versions of PDF-XChange Editor.
ziopaper2
User

Post by ziopaper2 »

I am still hoping to see this implemented as adjustable without registry tweak, especially without closing the software.
The 30% works great when the pdf is zoomed in, as soon as you zoom out you need more smoothing otherwise the notes look shaky

Tracker Software Development team, please.

Thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ziopaper2,

Thanks for your feedback. I am afraid that at the moment we are focusing on finalizing V7.0 of our products, and this one has been dropped a bit in priority.
Please bear with us while we prepare the new version and I will then bring this back up for discussion on one of the meetings!

Regards,
Stefan
toe78
User

Post by toe78 »

Hello

I would like to support the arguments in favour of an option to disable pen smoothing.

I would even go further. It should not be an option hidden in some menubar. There should be an explicit pen commenting tool without any smoothing, but with pressure-sensitivity. It should offer the same functionality as Windows Ink.

Smoothing simply makes no sense whatsover when you want to review a document in a professional way. You have to be able to comment by handwriting like you would on paper. Otherwise, PDF X-Change does not qualify as a modern PDF-tablet-compatible software, in my point of view.

I deem this option to be much more important than any ribbon design. It should be on the Top-Priority list of your software development.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Kind regards
Thorsten
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello toe78,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums! We appreciate the feedback. Currently, the pen smoothing adjustments are indeed hidden - this will not change for the next build release, however. I've just spoken to the dev team and they have informed me of their plans to completely redesign the pencil tool for pressure sensitivity and custom smoothing. It is a rather large project that should, as you aptly put it, vastly improve the Editor's validity as a "modern PDF-tablet-compatible software".

The PDF standards have not changed much since they were released to the public domain in mid-90's, and have remained totally unchanged since 2008 under PDF Standard 1.7. With the introduction of PDF Standard 2.0, many previously impossible functions could be developed in future versions. PDF 2.0 is still rather new, and changes will be gradual to ensure backwards compatibility across the PDF industry. As pdfa.org put it "PDF 2.0 will make it easier for developers to create tools to manage electronic documents with more and better features..." https://www.pdfa.org/what-will-pdf-2-0-bring/

Pencil tool improvements are some of the first changes taking shape in PDF-XChange Editor with regards to the updated standards.

Once again, I thank you for your voice on the matter. I have already let the dev team know just so that they are aware that this is something our users are still actively seeking.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
toe78
User

Post by toe78 »

Hello

Thanks a lot for your very quick and informative answer. I am glad you consider it a high priority feature.

Looking forward to the next version with pen support.

Kind regards
Thorsten
sjleejf
User

Post by sjleejf »

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your kind explanation.

Looking forward to the update. ^^
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:D
astrae_tech
User

Post by astrae_tech »

Hi,

Any updates on the better pen management in XChange? Can't wait to fully switch to it in my workflow.

Thank you!
sjleejf
User

Post by sjleejf »

I am also eagerly awaiting the update about the pen. ^^
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Thank you for the inquiry, With each iteration we are adding more functionality to our tools.
This in particular is a very large undertaking, and we cannot guarantee a fast implementation, as such we are phasing each tweak into releases as they are ready. However do know that, as always, we are striving to get you the features you want, as quickly as we can.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Hi,

Any updates on the better pen management in XChange? This was a 2018 request, since 6.322.7. We are at 8.332 version and no changes were made!
I´ m at the exactly same situation that marcin19545: using a wacom pen tablet to make annotations on pdf´ s, but when using pen, my handwriting notes is altered to the point of being unreadable.

I noticed that this smoothing problem is worst on this last update (8.332.0) :( :( :( :( !
Need this so much to work and study. Please, please, pleeeeeease!!!

I saw the .reg files, but don´ t know how to use them. :( :(
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I have no news of new developments in this area to bring at the moment.

Regarding the registry key that Stefan sent above, simply download the zip folder, and double click the PencilSmoothLevel30perc.reg to apply it. You will see a windows UAC prompt as this will make a change to the registry, please allow it.

After the key ahs been applied, restart the Editor and you should find smoothing is turned down a considerable amount.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:38 pm Unfortunately, I have no news of new developments in this area to bring at the moment.

Regarding the registry key that Stefan sent above, simply download the zip folder, and double click the PencilSmoothLevel30perc.reg to apply it. You will see a windows UAC prompt as this will make a change to the registry, please allow it.

After the key ahs been applied, restart the Editor and you should find smoothing is turned down a considerable amount.

Kind regards,
Nice!!! That .reg file solve my problem! Thanks!
But please, give to this request a little more attention and priority! :wink: :wink:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Ill see what I can do :wink:

Support@pdf-xchange.com
CaptainJohn_W
User

Post by CaptainJohn_W »

I vote for this to be corrected. I am marking up construction drawings on a Surface Go with a Surface Pen.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

We all do :-)
christian kuhlmann
User

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi,
Any news on this?
I just ran into this issue with 9.1 b356.0. The registry key gets deleted (editor was closed, normal installation, 64bit version).
Any other workarounds? The letters m and n very often just become lines, even when not zoomed in.

Kind regards,
Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, christian kuhlmann

We now offer smoothing options from the properties pane (Ctrl+~)when the pencil tool is selected:
image.png
image.png (26.42 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
I hope that this helps!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
christian kuhlmann
User

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply and pointing out that setting.
You might want to update the German translation of this feature, since it is called "Stifthärte" (pencil hardness) on my computer, which in ink applications usually refers to the pressure response curve and not the smoothing level. A better translation would be something like "Kurvenglättung".
I will test this setting and see whether it improves the readability of the resulting graphics.

Kind regards,
Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, christian kuhlmann

All translations are offered to us by volunteer translators, but our current active German translator has been quite responsive to suggestions like this, so I will bring his attention to this topic for his review.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
jorge.cassiano.jr
User

Post by jorge.cassiano.jr »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:35 am Hi Guys,

Please try the settings from the attached file. It contains two reg files.
The normal smoothing level is 100%, and the other file if double clicked will set the smoothing to 30% only - which should allow for a better result when using the pencil tool for e.g. writing.

Regards,
Stefan
Are these files still good?? Can I use It?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, jorge.cassiano.jr

It should not be necessary any longer to use those keys. We now offer a smoothing option for the pencil tool through the UI (specifically in the properties pane), you cannot disable it entirely, but I believe that the "low" smoothing level is 20 or 30%, while normal is around 50-60% and high is around 90%.
image.png
image.png (15.82 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com