Features I am missing in Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Features I am missing in Editor

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Timur,

Well the thing is that when you select text with the Select Text tool, then the Text Selection takes part, thus the content items are not being selected in the Content Panel. If you select the content item directly in the content panel, then that button becomes available as the Content Item Selection is being added. Basically, with this new Select Image feature, you would be able to create a new Content Item Selection directly from the Pages View and that means that it will be available in the Content Panel thus that button will be available for you to use.
Also, we are planning to tune the Edit Content tool a little so that it would be enabled in the protected mode, so one could select and look into the properties of the different content items. Though we will need to think this out thoroughly.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Looking forward to the changes. One bug I noticed: I tried to set up a keyboard shortcut for "Display selected item", but it does not work (nothing happens when shortcut is pressed), not even for content editable (unprotected) files. So the shortcut does not seem to be bound to the function properly.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Timur,

For that command to work, the focus should be in the Contents Panel.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

It's nearly impossible to focus the Content panel without deselecting the object in question. Using the Properties button is one workaround. But once you have to go clicking with the mouse to activate a panel the whole keyboard shortcut becomes useless anyway, since the reason for using shortcuts is not having to aim with the mouse in the first place. So panel shortcuts should work universally without needing focus on said panel first.

I effectively just want to click on an object (image, text, other) on the page, hit a shortcut and then have the content panel jump to the corresponding content item entry.

One question regarding text content: I have some files where every single line of each paragraph is listed as its own container + paragraph + line. After editing the paragraph (insert space, delete space) the whole paragraph is properly merged into a single contailer + paragraph + lines. Is this due to the original document structure or due to how Editor interprets the content?
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Timur,

We've updated the behavior of this button to what we think is more logical and easier to use(see gif attached):
AutoExpandCI.gif
Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Looks good. I see that it also automatically scrolls the content list now when an object is selected that is further down the tree. This all should make the Content panel easier (more useful) to work with on busy pages.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Glad to hear it Timur!

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:(My thought here being that if the "Join pages" operation is easier to implement - it might not be worth spending more time to improve printing of embedded fonts to send the extended character info to the printer for the only case where it's relevant - reprinting back to PDF).
Sorry, but I do not concur that printing embedded fonts as soft-fonts is only relevant for this special case. Thus I have to bring up old numbers I posted before:

"Ability to print text with embedded fonts

As far as I can tell Editor currently always transforms text (fonts) to vector graphics during the printing process. This considerably blows up the print data size and thus takes longer to print. For testing I printed a complex 698 pages document via Editor and Adobe Reader, Editor outputs text as vector graphics while Adobe sends it as softfont (using printer fonts curiously doesn't change the size, though). Here are some numbers:

HP universal PCL driver
Editor: 1.96 gb
Adobe: 0.65 gb

Device specific PCL driver (HP Laserjet 500 Pro)
Editor: 3.58 gb
Adobe: 0.7 gb

HP Universal PS driver
Editor: 49.1 gb
Adobe: 1.11 gb

Unsurprisingly the Adobe print-jobs finish much faster and even look closer to the original."
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Timur,

Were those tests done with "Auto" set for the "Text Rendering Mode" ?

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Those were done using the default settings when I did not know yet that "Auto" was needed to print embedded fonts. Nevertheless this demonstrates that printing via Outline is not a catch-all solution and can even have considerably detrimental side-effects. Proper uploading of embedded fonts is useful for both re-printing to PDF and printing to paper.

This includes using the right characters to represent letters, aka not using some mixture of wrong characters and special characters.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I just did a quick test, printing a single letter sized page from Editor using "Auto" rendering and Adobe Reader DC, both sent to the HP Universal PS driver. Editor = 37 mb, Reader = 3.2 mb. I can do more in-depth testing later, but the tendency is clear. ;)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I did in-depth tests using a document consisting of embedded fonts and two lines of Times New Roman.

- "Auto" = "Outline for embedded fonts", aka only the Times New Roman lines are printed as text, the rest as paths.
- Everything else (!) = "Outline Always", aka everything is printed as paths. Yes, even when I set "Bitmap always"!

I checked this both via reprinting to PDF (via X-Change and Primo) and by comparing print job sizes to my HP LJ 500 PCL driver. Adobe Reader reprints everything as properly embedded fonts and also creates smaller paper print jobs. So "Text rendering option" seems mostly broken for the time being.

As feature request I would really like an option to specifically "Embed (always)", because "Auto" seems too unpredictable and I don't always aesthetically like Editor's vector rendering output of fonts. Currently I am using Adobe Reader for just that.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I sent you an e-mail with two example files, one printed using "Auto" and the other printed using "Bitmap Always". Both render the embedded font (not installed on my system) as outline/vectors/paths. "Auto" at least renders the Times New Roman lines are text, whereas "Bitmap Always" even turns these lines into outlines.

While I understand that the example files are re-prints I also compared the various rendering modes for print-jobs sent to my printer and their print-sizes match exactly (Auto = Outline Embedded, everything else = Outline Always).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the files Timur,

Your original has Type1 fonts inside - and those are handled differently than TrueType fonts - and for the moment I believe we do not support printing them back as fonts.
I've passed your samples to our devs - and hope to have some further news for you soon!

Regards,
Stefan
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Timur Born wrote: As feature request I would really like an option to specifically "Embed (always)", because "Auto" seems too unpredictable and I don't always aesthetically like Editor's vector rendering output of fonts. Currently I am using Adobe Reader for just that.
Hi, Timur.
I am curious to see if you can do a comparison of print speed for Text Rendering Mode set to "Auto" versus (say) "Outline Always".
In my selective testing, it seemed that "Auto" was producing smaller file sizes. Indeed, my naïve impression is that the original fonts would use fewer 'longer' curves to define the glyphs (consistent for any given character), while the vector representation uses more 'short' curves to represent the glyphs (and not necessarily consistently) as per the attachment below.
Regards,
David
Attachments
PhD_thesis.Word.Editor-Lite.pp37ff.BitmapEmbedded.p1.png
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I would have to search for a good True Type example first, since we just learned that Type 1 fonts are always turned to outlines anyway, even when "Bitmap always" is chosen. For Type 1 fonts there is no difference between the two other than "Outline Always" also outlining the one True Type font (1 line) present in my sample document, "Auto" vs. "Outline embedded" creates print files (PCL) of exactly the same size.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote:Hello guys,

About image saving/selecting - check out this video:
Cheers,
Alex
I am confused. Weren't these changes meant to appear in the latest update? Will they come in version 6 or only when 7 arrives?
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Timur,

These features will be included in the next major build 323.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Ah, ok. Please take a look at how you implement the image "Copy" (to clipboard) function. Images copied out of Editor appear all white in Paint and Paint.Net, so something about your way of copying images to the clipboard seems off. Not a big deal, since I prefer to use images including transparencies anyway, but something to put on a checklist maybe.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Timur,

The new Save Image feature will be available from the next major build - probably it would be more sufficient for you.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Until then I will keep using PDFtools to extract all images for those files small enough (that don't include hundreds of images). ;)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Feel free to send me a beta version, I do plenty of image extraction.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

I'm afraid that we don't do beta builds. It takes a long time to compile the software after making changes, and a long time to make a viable installer, so one of our main devs. would be essentially useless for the better part of a day.

If all goes well, the next major release should be some time in September. This is obviously not a guarantee, but an approximation and subject to change.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Here are two more suggestions for features I am missing in Editor:

- One feature of X-Change Viewer that I like over all other PDF Software (including Editor) is that it always prioritizes page flipping/count over rendering. If I scroll quickly then the page count keeps up in asynchronous mode and even skips pages in synchronous mode.

In Editor it's the other way around, even asynchronous mode sometimes cannot keep up and synchronous mode absolutely prioritizes page rendering over page flipping. The latter can lead to Editor being busy rendering dozens of pages in between me stopping the scroll wheel and Editor finally being usable again, because it keeps rendering in between pages one after another.

- Is it possible to stop blanking new pages to white when non continuous modes are used? It makes using asynchronous rendering very strenuous for the eyes, especially with non white background content and it can even happen in synchronous mode for pages that take long to render. Why not just output the new page on top of the old page without cleaning the slate to white first?

Thanks and regards!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Timur,

Thanks for adding those two suggestions.
I believe the page flipping behaviour was changed due to popular demand and to be consistent with other PDF tools.
As for the white background - it is needed as in the Viewer you could see "blinking" between a rendered page, the Viewer window background and then the next page if the flipping was fast and the new page is slow to load. Alsowhen you change the zoom level the Editor will now keep the already rendered page (say at 50%) - and zoom that up to 100% (making the page shown a bit blurry) - until it renders it in the new zoom level. While with the Viewer there was blinking in that scenario as well. So the current behaviour is the better one from our perspective and that of most users and I am not sure how likely are any changes in that respect. But nevertheless - I will bring this up for discussion on the next meeting!

Regards,
Stefan
Special
User

Post by Special »

Timur Born wrote:Here are two more suggestions for features I am missing in Editor:

- One feature of X-Change Viewer that I like over all other PDF Software (including Editor) is that it always prioritizes page flipping/count over rendering. If I scroll quickly then the page count keeps up in asynchronous mode and even skips pages in synchronous mode.

In Editor it's the other way around, even asynchronous mode sometimes cannot keep up and synchronous mode absolutely prioritizes page rendering over page flipping. The latter can lead to Editor being busy rendering dozens of pages in between me stopping the scroll wheel and Editor finally being usable again, because it keeps rendering in between pages one after another.

- Is it possible to stop blanking new pages to white when non continuous modes are used? It makes using asynchronous rendering very strenuous for the eyes, especially with non white background content and it can even happen in synchronous mode for pages that take long to render. Why not just output the new page on top of the old page without cleaning the slate to white first?

Thanks and regards!
If the blinking white hurts your eyes then try changing that white to dark grey or something instead. Preferences > Accessibility > Page Background Color
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Hi Stefan,

thanks for getting back to me.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:I believe the page flipping behaviour was changed due to popular demand and to be consistent with other PDF tools.
Too bad, I always conceived it as a disadvantage of other PDF tools, especially for users of Logitech hyperscroll wheels that flip really fast. In Viewer I would not ever enter a page number by keyboard, but just flip the wheel and stop it right where I needed (give or take a page or two). Now if I flip it fast in synchronous mode I can go fetch a coffee while Editor is busy rendering all the pages and then I cannot even aim for the correct destination page number. I would use asynchronous rendering, which kind of keeps up, but the blinking is strenuous.
As for the white background - it is needed as in the Viewer you could see "blinking" between a rendered page, the Viewer window background and then the next page if the flipping was fast and the new page is slow to load.
But the blinking is exactly what I get in Editor when asynchronous rendering is used or a page loads really slow in synchronous mode. For non continuous page views when full pages are turned over I would like the new page content to just overwrite the old content, instead of first getting a white page and only then the rendered content on top of it. Because of the white page in between it keeps blinking with every turn of a page and thus makes using asynchronous mode rather uncomfortable.
Also when you change the zoom level the Editor will now keep the already rendered page (say at 50%) - and zoom that up to 100% (making the page shown a bit blurry) - until it renders it in the new zoom level. While with the Viewer there was blinking in that scenario as well.
This is a good solution and effectively the one I would like for switching pages, keep the old page visible until the new one is rendered, no blank in between.

Unfortunately it does not fully work for Zoom in Ribbon mode either. When non continuous page views are used with asynchronous rendering you still get the old blinking white page behavior while zooming. I assume this is a bug of Ribbon mode, because it does not happen in Standard mode or even in Ribbon mode with continuous page views.
Last edited by Timur Born on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Special wrote:If the blinking white hurts your eyes then try changing that white to dark grey or something instead. Preferences > Accessibility > Page Background Color
Thanks for the hint, but then I get dark blinking for white PDF files. I would prefer no blinking when pages are turned over.
Special
User

Post by Special »

Timur Born wrote:This is a good solution and effectively the one I would like for switching pages, keep the old page visible until the new one is rendered, no blank in between.
This sounds terrible, no, I like to have my programs feeling snappy and responsive, not a laggy mess.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I don't understand the response. Your program feels snappy because it inserts a blank page in between the old page and the new page rendering? Are you using asynchronous rendering mode anyway?

Personally I prefer programs to be snappy, not just feel like it. But if you need some kind of graphic feedback for pressing that button then maybe an animated page turnover or scrolling motion from one page to the next does the trick. It works pretty good on tablets

Talking about PDF viewing on tablets, another good solution I see with tablet PDF software (among pre-rendering) is to render the new page at lower resolution first and then change to higher resolution once the rendering is done. It effectively does the same thing is Editor's current zooming solution, but does so with new pages being displayed. The great thing about this is that you can turn over pages really quick without lag from synchronous rendering and without blank pages/spaces from asynchronous rendering. This is my preferred way of handling this (on top of pre-rendering).
andre lefebvre
User

Post by andre lefebvre »

Hi, I wanted to set a grey background color to read an ebook better. I was met woth a very stranfe message telling me this function needed me to purchase the program (which I own and renewed last April (2017). Not sure what this was about, I clicked OK or something and now I have this screaming yellow gear wheels on the top corners of every single page.

Add to this that I use NaturalReader Online to read the book for me as an audio book, it is excruciatingly reading each letters of the link on those wheels that ara a "reminder" that I should buy the program which I ALREADY own.

See a screenshot of the offending "reminder."

https://gyazo.com/d57291c9131001cc54f826e897bc8883

How can I get rid of this?

Thank you,

Andre
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Andre,

I suspect that you do not have your license key installed properly to your Editor.
Could you please send us the serial that you are using to support@pdf-xchange.com so we can check it for you?
Also, please include a screenshot of your Editor's Help -> About menu.

Please do not post your license key on this public forum. Thanks!

Regards,
Radi
andre lefebvre
User

Post by andre lefebvre »

Thank you for the quick help, Radi! I needed to know how to remove the watermarks as I already had the right license.

Thank you!
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

:)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote:Hello Timur,

As for the selection on page - after further investigation it appeared that this functionality is already present. Please use the select text tool and click it 4 subsequent times on one text part. That should select the text on the entire page.
The functionality to select paragraphs and pages still only is supported by the select text tool and not by the Edit tool, only double-click to select single words seems to work in Edit. Furthermore I am still missing the ability to drag a selection (select more) once I used a double/tripple click. Text selection works that way in every browser and word/text processor for years now, Editor should follow that standard.

It is so much easier to first double-click a word and then drag selection on, instead of having to aim for the correct beginning/ending of a word/paragraph.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur Born,

Thank you for reviving this! Seems those text selection methods have yet to be introduced to the Edit content tool. I've made an internal development ticket for this.

Thanks again!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Timur Born wrote: Improved Search results
I would like to get back to this, because XC Editor offers both very fast and sophisticated search functionality. What it lacks is better presentation of search results.

Switching search proximity to "Same page" is a useful workaround to make results appear as one entry per page, which can easily reduce results from thousands down to hundreds. Unfortunately there is no option to sort search results by any metric other than page order. I would very much prefer a "rank" system for result ordering, factoring in number of hits, number and size of captions, table of content. But even being able to simply sort by number of hits (per page/paragraph) would be very useful in finding the correct page.

Furthermore I would like to see some form of thumbnail results. One way to more easily implement this with already present functions would be to simply make the normal thumbnail view only display pages with search hits, aka filtering out all other pages. Alternatively the small icons in search results could be turned to thumbnails, but that would take even more space than those icons already (ab)use.

Speaking about those icons: Why do they take so much space, especially introducing all that blank space on their left side? Please make the icons optional and remove all that extra white space on their left, in order to make more room for content/results.

Last but not least, please allow the search results to switch per document tab. Currently you only get one result window even when multiple tabs are open. Searching in one tab means to delete all search results of other tabs and you can only search in a single tab at a time. The only way around this restriction is to open documents in separate windows instead of tabs.

Thanks for the effort!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Thanks for your suggestion. Although we do appreciate such feedback, and we endeavor to accommodate suggestions for improvements whenever possible at this time we are focusing on solidifying the current functionality of our products. We are undergoing some major projects such as PDF 2.0 implementation, improvements to digital signatures, color profile issues, and XFA fixes to name but a few. Glossy improvements such as this will never be dismissed outright, however at this time I must say that it is unlikely to receive much development attention. I personally quite like the ideas you've put forward, and would consider such functionality to be useful indeed, though not crucial. I have added these suggestions to a long-term feature request list for later consideration.

We do appreciate your patience and understanding.
Sincerely,
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Well, I consider proper search functionality more than just a "glossy" improvement, but that is just me. Given that I posted the search related request as early as 2012 it doesn't seem like this will get much of a consideration any time soon. I wish you would at least implement a means to sort search results by number of hits per page, which often puts the most relevant hits up front anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13894

Thanks for the reply, though. Let's see what happens in another 6 years from now. I keep checking other PDF software and they all fail in the search department, even OS X Preview (which lacks a bit in the filtering department compared to Editor).
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Thank you for your understanding. Try as we might, it is not always practical to implement even good suggestions right away.

Take care!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Two years later and 8 years after my original feature request, I am still hoping for a way to sort search result other than chronologically.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Just to clarify, you're looking for this:
implement a means to sort search results by number of hits per page
If so, I'll see what can be done. To me, with my limited development 'skills', it seems it should be a fairly quick implementation, but I may be underestimating the difficulty.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Hi Will,

sorting by number of hits per page would already be a big improvement, worse than true "rank" sorting, but better than chronological.

An option to filter thumbnails to only show pages with search hits would also be nice.

Combine that with search results applying "per tab" and I would be mostly happy. ;)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Beautiful, thanks for the clarification - I'll see what can be done, but these:
An option to filter thumbnails to only show pages with search hits would also be nice.

Combine that with search results applying "per tab" and I would be mostly happy.
I can't make any promises on as they would be more complex to implement. I'll certainly ask though.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Since per tab search results are still not available I bought Groupy to open PDF files in their own window when I need search results to be independent of other PDF files. I keep multiple PDF files in single windows/multiple Editor tabs when I can live with search results cancelling each other out. A mixture of Editor tabs and Grouply tabs is done to keep the number of horizontal tabs small and keep seldomly referenced documents in a single Groupy tab.

Aside from the extra cost the main drawback is the extra vertical space being used by Groupy (because Editor uses a custom title-bar) and ctrl-tab only being available either to Editor or Groupy.

One thing to watch out for is that you must not use Groupy's "Close All" function, because that closes Editor windows one by one and thus breaks Editor's "Restore last session" functionality. Using Editor's own "Exit (CTRL-Q)" function does work, though, as does manually loading sessions and loading Groupy's saved groups.
Last edited by Timur Born on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Timur Born wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 pmIndependent of whether this works or not Editor should still allow to use mouse-dragging to mark text after a double/tripple-click was used. This is how Word, browsers, Notepad, Notepad++ and lots of other software handle it. It's very convenient to be able to first double/tripple-click and then drag the mouse with the button pressed to mark more text on a whole word/paragraph basis.
In the meantime Editor learned how to do this for double-clicks (words), but not for triple-clicks (paragraphs). Still a much appreciated quality of life improvement.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Are there any changes/plans for better Type1 support, aka softfont upload to printer drivers for both PDF creation and faster paper prints?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Timur Born

As I have mentioned before, we are always working on improvements to our handling of fonts, as well as many other aspects of the application. I have not heard of any special specific plans regarding type1 fonts, but yes, general improvements and increased support are always on the roadmap.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Is there an easy way to split a document in two files at a certain position instead of having to extract pages?

The "Split Document" function only seems to allow to split "every x pages". So when I need to split a 500 pages document after page 220 I would get 3 files instead of just 2.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Timur Born

Currently, the quickest method would be to use the thumbnails pane, click page 1, Shift-click page 220, drag to a new document tab, document 1 complete. Then click page 221, shift-click page 500, drag to another docuemnt tab, document 2 complete.

Splitting does currently only allow split by a specified number of pages. I will pass this request along to the dev team for consideration, however I cannot make any guarantees for a change at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com