PDF iFilter was not correctly registered

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

btz
User

PDF iFilter was not correctly registered

Post by btz »

Hi,

the PDF iFilter was not correctly registered when I installed PDF-XChange Editor (Version: 6.0, Build 319.0) the first time on my computer.

Initially, Windows Search was set to index just file properties (maybe reverted upon uninstalling Sumatra PDF).

After selecting also "file contents", I found .pdf in the extension list of system32\query.dll {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} {c1243ca0-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} (Checked with nirsoft searchfilterview).

With searchfilterview, I removed .pdf from the query.dll entry and added it to XCShInfo.dll - PDF-XChange PDF IFilter Handler. Now the file type list of Windows Search shows the correct entry. The index is be rebuilt currently, so I can't say whether I repaired the settings successfully.

I tried an installation on a second computer, and the same happened: .pdf handled by query.dll.

Can you tell me what's going on? I expect a PDF Viewer to register the iFilter correctly.

Oliver
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF iFilter was not correctly registered

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi btz,

Thanks for the post - Do you have any anti-virus software that might be interfering with the registration of our DLL's? I ask because we're aware of issues with registration with the 32-bit Shell Extension DLL on 64-bit systems, but Win Explorer is a 64-bit process on 64-bit installations of Windows, and we're not aware of any issues registering the 64-bit DLL.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
btz
User

Post by btz »

one of the computers I tested was running without anti-virus software, yet it happened.

Please let me also know whether my repair attempt was the right way:
With searchfilterview, I removed .pdf from the query.dll entry and added it to XCShInfo.dll - PDF-XChange PDF IFilter Handler
Oliver
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Oliver,

I'm not personally familiar with that particular method, but if it works then there should be an issue. Typically, we recommend doing this:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... xtensions-

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
anderson nascimento nunes
User

Post by anderson nascimento nunes »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Oliver,

I'm not personally familiar with that particular method, but if it works then there should be an issue. Typically, we recommend doing this:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... xtensions-

Cheers,
I had the same problem as OP. Following that guide solved it.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

I do too have a problem with indexing. I followed the suggestions given here in this thread, hoping to have a fix for my problem. Yet, sadly, no.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... extensions

Besides PDF-Xchange Editor, I also have two more PDF readers installed: Foxit PhantomPDF and Adobe Acrobat Pro. So this plethora of readers might also give rise to some complications.

Initially, the PDF filter was from Foxit. It ceased working "around" the time when I installed the Editor. At present, the PDF filter is from Tracker. It is called "PDF-Xchange Filter Handler Class". I also decided to re-index all my important folders.

Indexing is now complete. However, I still can't search the content of the PDF files. When I type, for instance, a name in the Widows Explorer search, only the PDFs with this name as part of the file name show up.

My plan now would be to install Adobe PDF iFilter 11 for 64-bit platforms. Would you say that this is a good idea?

Windows 8.1 x64
PDF Xchange Editor Version 7.0 (Build 325.1)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi all,
You will need to ensure that "always search file names and contents..."
Is enabled in the file explorer,

As well as having the PDF-XChange IE plugin checked off from inside the file explorer

With both of those enabled, shell extensions re-registered (and after a system restart), you should find the search working inside pdf files as well.
Please confirm this and let us know if this is still not working.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

Thanks for the reply!

1) The "Always search file names and contents (…)" option was already enabled.

2) There is, however, no "PDF-XChange IE plugin" in Windows Explorer. I looked into IE, and there is no plugin either. I verified this looking through about two dozen IE plugins, and I only found a few relating to PDF software, yet all of them are from Adobe. Also, I should perhaps mention that I only use Chrome and Firefox.

So, is it now time for installing "Adobe PDF iFilter 11 for 64-bit platforms"? Or do you still have a trump up your sleeve?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi All,
I find no issues with the iFilter when I have these preferences set in file explorer:

This is turned off by default, and will stop the iFilter from looking at file contents.
HTH!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

On my machine, there was only a check at "file contents", not at "system files". I added the check, rebooted, yet to no avail. The content indexing still doesn't work.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi wonderose2,

Thanks for the info. - Since you followed the KB instructions to register the Shell Extensions, has there been any update to e.g. Foxit, Adobe, etc.? Because if so then they may have automatically taken over. Please try those instructions again and let us know the results.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

Thanks for your reply.

I verified. There was no update in the last week or so. Yet, I believe the idea on the whole is a good one. There might indeed be something fishy with my shell extensions.

When I have some time, I'll do some experimenting. And I'll get back to you with the results.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Looking forward to hearing back! In the meantime, it may also help to completely uninstall and re-install our software, while deleting the Tracker Software Program Files folder. If that doesn't do it, try re-registering the Shell Extensions again according to the KB article.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

I eventually solved the problem.

First of all, it has nothing to do with the Editor. The snag lies with Adobe.

Indeed, I forgot that I had updated Adobe Acrobat Reader DC almost simultaneously with installing the Editor. In my country, this piece of software is of obligatory use for some officially issued documents. I really can't say why this is the way it is.

In any case, Adobe Reader overwrote this registry key: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf\PersistentHandler". And thereby it broke Windows Search. I simply replaced the value of the key with "1AA9BF05-9A97-48c1-BA28-D9DCE795E93C" and restarted Windows Search. Now, the search in Windows Explorer works again, and all is back to normal.

Still, I am thinking about acquiring an independent search software.

That said, I am terribly sorry to have bothered you with this old chestnut.

Thanks anyway!
Last edited by wonderose2 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Thank you for identifying that this was caused by a combination of Adobe and Windows. It actually helps alot!
:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com