Old and new versions just quit working ???

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BuckSkin
User

Old and new versions just quit working ???

Post by BuckSkin »

My first post here; I hope this is the right place.

I have had version 5.5.315.0 of PDF XChange Editor for quite some time and it has always performed without a hitch until some time very recent to today; I needed to read a PDF manual and XChange Editor launched, but acted all weird and the file displayed all corrupted.
When I try to close the program, it goes into white-out and I end up having to force it to close.
Uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no change in the situation.
Downloaded and installed version 6.0.319.0 and it is no better.
What could possibly be happening here ?
I love my PDF XChange Editor when it is working and prefer it as my default reader.

I did notice that Adobe Reader 11.0.19.15 somehow got itself installed two days ago; it is a 32-bit application; the Adobe Reader launches and reads fine.

Could this sudden presence of Adobe somehow corrupted my PDF XChange Editor ?

What are some other possibles ?

Thanks for reading.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Old and new versions just quit working ???

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi BuckSkin,

Thanks for the post - That's a little, but I suspect that the installation of Adobe has nothing to do with this and that it's simply coincidence. My first suggestion would be to try deleting the %temp%\PDFXEdit folder. Copy/pasting that into Windows Explorer will take you directly there, but be sure to make sure that the Editor is not running when attempting to delete the folder.

Keep us posted!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BuckSkin
User

Post by BuckSkin »

Update on the situation:
After uninstalling/reinstalling and restarting a number of times, both with the old and the new versions, always with the same undesirable result, I tried a new trick that I have just became aware of, "Run as Administrator"

I had completely uninstalled PDF-XChange Editor and was going to leave it uninstalled a few weeks before trying again, hoping whatever was causing the problem would disappear by then; but I read of a different tactic that I was previously unaware of; so, I reinstalled the older version, right-clicked the desktop icon, and chose "Run as Administrator" and clicked Okay or Yes or whatever in the box that appeared.

The program launched; and, when I loaded a PDF, it was clear as crystal and everything was responding as it should.

I gave it a few minutes to cook, and then I closed the program, waited a few more minutes, then selected a PDF in a folder and clicked "Open"; the program launched and there was my PDF as if nothing bad had ever happened.

I guess it will always remain a mystery as to why this happened.

I hope my experience is of benefit to someone else that may find themselves in the same situation.

Thanks for reading.

Will, I was typing while you were posting; thanks for the info and I will file it in my bookmarks for future reference.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi BuckSkin,

Not a problem!

On the one hand, I'm glad that you solved the issue and it appears to be working. On the other hand, that's a little disconcerting. If it does happen again, definitely let us know as I'd like to dig deeper!

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BuckSkin
User

Post by BuckSkin »

Well, all has been good since this past episode until tonight when PDFXchangeEditor started misbehaving in the same manner again.
I remembered this thread and that there was a solution within; I just couldn't remember exactly what I had done to set things back to rights.

After reading this thread and refreshing my memory, I right-clicked the PDFXchangeEditor icon and chose "Run as Administrator" (or maybe it was "Open as Administrator; I can't remember the exact wording); anyways, the editor immediately launched and all was right with the world again.

Although it may be merely coincidence, earlier today, the wife was in the middle of trying to print some tickets and plugged a heater into the same circuit that the in-use microwave was on and, as it turns out, the surge-strip for that computer as well; of course, she turned the heater on and immediately threw the breaker, thus knocking out the computer in the process. (This is not the first nor even the second time she has done the exact same thing; there is another outlet within inches of the one she insists on using that is on a completely different circuit.)

That particular machine has always been very temperamental and had to go through a few restart cycles before things were set to rights; so, possibly, that could have been the catalyst that caused the temporary glitch with PDFXchangeEditor.

I will update if it fouls up again.

Thanks for reading.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello BuckSkin,

Yes - an unexpected PC shutdown could cause quite a few things to misbehave!
Glad to hear that you have resolved the Editor issue for now!
And please do not hesitate to update us again if you notice anything unusual with our products!

Regards,
Stefan