PDF-Lite choices

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bawldiggle
User

PDF-Lite choices

Post by bawldiggle »

There is no sub forum for PDF-Lite on https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... m.php?f=50
... so my apologies if I am in the wrong forum

On PDF-XChange Lite download page there are 2 options.
- now that Lite is FREE ... what is the difference between the two offerings :?:
two Lite offerings.7z
(62.08 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
In April-2015 I trailed Lite-5 and the first virtual print (VPs) was 25% of true size, subsequent VPs were a mix of true size, occasional 25% size and one URL completely blank save for buy-me markers.
So I uninstalled Lite-5.

At the moment I am using a variety of PDF virtual printers (sometimes they work), on-line services which are also hit or miss, and one installed app that never misses a beat, slow but ... a number of steps to set it up for continuous single page, and then retrieve the finished PDF from the root folder of the executable. The latter is v.fiddly.

I am using two open source apps, one of which must have page formatted with every PDF creation ... extremely frustrating :twisted:
- I have wasted days fiddling trying to work out a procedure, its all very time consuming, more wasted time :(

In the last few months I have discovered the versatility of PDF, particularly for instructions to myself that include an image of complicated processes.

I am interested in Editor STD (I think STD will suffice for my needs, but virtual printing is v.important for me.
  • 1. which option of Lite do I download to evaluate :?:
    2. will Lite-6 print single continuous page :?:
    3. does Lite-6 mark each page with Buy-me stamps :?:
Viewer [v2.5 (Build 214.0) Dec 30, 2013] ...
  • 4. does not like continuous single page PDFs ... neither Home nor Ctrl+Home ... go home.
    5. does Editor_6 (?) "play-with" continuous single page PDFs ... :?:
Thank you :)
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: PDF-Lite choices

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) PDF-XChange Lite FREE V6 (virtual PDF printer) is FREE for non-commercial use.
So, you can download, install and use it for private and personal reasons and NO publicity stamps will be put in the generated PDF's.

2) You can best download, install and try out PDF-XChange Editor Plus V6.0.320.1.
The software is fully functional, all features work and can be tested.
Only when you use PRO-features, you will get a warning that publicity stamps will be put in your PDF if you use them.
PDF-XChange Lite V6 is also included, but it is NOT the free version. So, if you install it, then I think that you will always have publicity stamps in your resulting PDF's when you print via this printer driver.
So, it is better to not install the included printer driver, but to install the FREE-version separately, if it goes about personal (non-commercial) use.

3) What do you exactly mean by continuous single page PDF's ?
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

@ Willy
My apologies for a very delayed reply. A stroke and five subsequent bouts of pneumonia since Feb have ... put my IT life on hold.
(3) What do you exactly mean by continuous single page PDF's ?
Winnovative-Software.com provide an app. the best (IMO) to convert webpage to PDF.
- I have tried a lot of online services and trialed software, over many years, there is a LOT of mediocre services and programs out there.

I like the concept of PDF-XChange Editor STD or Plus
- my problem is, on a laptop, the ribbon is a space hog, toolbars (in Viewer) have a smaller footprint
-----------------
WINNOVATIVE:
Convert HTML to PDF Online for Free
– fiddly, requires Captcha with each conversion
http://www.winnovative-software.com/fre ... esktop_app

Download Free HTML to PDF Desktop Application
– convert webpages, HTML files, image files to PDF
option to convert to a single (continuous) page
– slow but does the best job of all.
download Link: "Download Free HTML to PDF Desktop Application" ... on ...
http://www.winnovative-software.com/fre ... esktop_app
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

hey guys,

welcome back bawldiggle! It's great to hear you are active again!

The Lite driver that comes with the Editor will work with an Editor license so if you license the Editor your PDF print jobs in Lite will not get water marks. Naturally it will if it is a trial. :-)

Converting web pages is not as simple as it might appear at first glance, dynamic content not withstanding. If the web page is being printed by a browser and captured by a virtual printer then that printer is essentially at the mercy of the browser's print render. Whatever the browser sends to the printer is all we have to work with. This is why we originally created an Add-In for IE that actually does an HTML to PDF conversion rather than take a print job as a source. It can often do a much better job of reproducing a web page - IF you are prepared to use IE for those pages. I find it typically very accurate, the only time it struggles is when there is a need for authentication on the page. The HTML to PDF engine we wrote for this requests the page from the URL directly and if there are no security credentials available this can produce unexpected results.

I would urge you to try the IE Add-In yourself and see what you think. It installs as a part of PDF-XChange Standard or Pro but not the Editor with Lite.
- my problem is, on a laptop, the ribbon is a space hog, toolbars (in Viewer) have a smaller footprint
The UI and that ribbon are highly customizable. You can show/hide pretty much anything that is on there so I expect you should be able to make the space you want. You can minimize them to a thin line and also customize keyboard shortcuts to quickly access frequently used tools.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... he-Editor-

In a few weeks we will be releasing V7 and it will sport a new Ribbon UI as well as letting you keep the classic toolbars should you wish. It will also showcase our newest PDF printers. We have done a lot of work under the hood so to speak of both Standard and Lite printers and the new ones will be 'hybrid' drivers, capable of using both GDI and XPS technologies for renderng. They will be able to switch between engines, be able to make intelligent decisions on which engine to use and even let you set up lists of app preferences. Your CAD for example may work better with GDI while Excel XPS.

I suggest you put V7 through it's paces when it is released next month. I am keen to hear what you think.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
tto
User

Post by tto »

Hello Paul,

I have a problem with the "plus" part of app. I purchased a full version of PDF PRO V6 and I have a valid code, but I cannot activate in toolbar the buttons that helps creating a form . I had it before but now they " dissapeared" I checked the entire menu ( including " properties" but I could not find them. Could you help me ?

Thanks.
Tiberiu
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:hey guys,

welcome back bawldiggle! It's great to hear you are active again!

The Lite driver that comes with the Editor will work with an Editor license so if you license the Editor your PDF print jobs in Lite will not get water marks. Naturally it will if it is a trial. :-)

Converting web pages is not as simple as it might appear at first glance, dynamic content not withstanding. If the web page is being printed by a browser and captured by a virtual printer then that printer is essentially at the mercy of the browser's print render. Whatever the browser sends to the printer is all we have to work with. This is why we originally created an Add-In for IE that actually does an HTML to PDF conversion rather than take a print job as a source. It can often do a much better job of reproducing a web page - IF you are prepared to use IE for those pages. I find it typically very accurate, the only time it struggles is when there is a need for authentication on the page. The HTML to PDF engine we wrote for this requests the page from the URL directly and if there are no security credentials available this can produce unexpected results.

I would urge you to try the IE Add-In yourself and see what you think. It installs as a part of PDF-XChange Standard or Pro but not the Editor with Lite.
The UI and that ribbon are highly customizable. You can show/hide pretty much anything that is on there so I expect you should be able to make the space you want. You can minimize them to a thin line and also customize keyboard shortcuts to quickly access frequently used tools.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... he-Editor-

In a few weeks we will be releasing V7 and it will sport a new Ribbon UI as well as letting you keep the classic toolbars should you wish. It will also showcase our newest PDF printers. We have done a lot of work under the hood so to speak of both Standard and Lite printers and the new ones will be 'hybrid' drivers, capable of using both GDI and XPS technologies for renderng. They will be able to switch between engines, be able to make intelligent decisions on which engine to use and even let you set up lists of app preferences. Your CAD for example may work better with GDI while Excel XPS.

I suggest you put V7 through it's paces when it is released next month. I am keen to hear what you think.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Tiberiu,

what happens if you reset your settings? Edit --> Reset Settings

The option should be there even without a license. Let me know if that restores the items?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello Paul and Tiberiu,

Tiberiu, I hope that you know that you first have to click (activate) the "Edit Form" button in the Form toolbar, before you will see the available objects for creating a form ? Or, is it just the "Edit Form" button that is grayed out ? In this last case, it maybe goes about a protected PDF.

If not, then just follow Paul's instructions.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Willy,

I may have misread that, I thought the button was simply missing, but it may just be as you say, there but not active.

Looking forward to hearing how this goes Tiberiu.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke