Insert DOC and RTF broken [PXVLib]

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Insert DOC and RTF broken [PXVLib]

Post by David.P »

Hi forum and Tracker support team,

as of today, I can't seem to insert DOC and RTF files anymore by dragging them into PDF-XChange Editor. If I try to do this I get the following error message:

I already did a repair install of Office 2007 but this didn't help.

Is there a way to manually re-register Office 2007 with PDF-XChange Editor in order for Office 2007 to be recognized again?

Thank you
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Insert DOC and RTF broken [PXVLib]

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David,

If Office 2007 (or newer) is installed properly - we should be able to use that to convert to PDF.
A colleague from the dev team is trying to reproduce this now, and we will post again as soon as there are any further news.

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Stefan,

looking forward to a possible result from the Dev. team!

Best Regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David,

Do you by any chance have two versions of office installed on that machine (e.g. 2003 and 2007)?
We did run some tests and it seems like we could only reproduce your problem when two versions are installed.
Even Microsoft themselves ward against using two versions at the same time (even if they allow you to install them):
...You might still run into issues when you use two versions of Office on the same PC...

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Stefan,

that's correct, I actually have both Word 2003 and 2007 installed. However, it's been like that for months already. In fact, I have only installed Word 2007 in order to be able to directly drag DOC files into PDF-XChange Editor, which has worked perfectly until two days ago.

The only thing that I have recently changed is the addition of a "NoReReg" registry entry for Word as described here.

I have reverted that change to the previous state, however PDF-XChange Editor still does not import DOC files, and not even RTF files.

Do you know where PDF-XChange Editor looks for the presence of the respective file converter components of Word in order to read DOC and RTF files (i.e. where in the Registry and/or on the hard drive)?

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In an other topic on this forum I read that PDF-XChange Editor V6 needs the XPS-plugin for MS Word to be able to make the conversion to PDF:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=24963

If I remember correctly, MS Word 2003 did not have that plug-in, and for the first versions of Word 2007 (= not yet Service Pack), it was optional. In Word 2010 and later the XPS plug-in is there by default.

So, maybe you can resolve the problem by re-installing that XPS plug-in?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... x%3Fid%3D7

And also, if I remember correctly, during the installation of the plug-in, you can choose to either install the XPS- or the PDF- plugin, or both.

Good luck.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Willy,

good find! I'll try if the XPS component fixes the issue. I think that I also deleted the Microsoft XPS printer recently because I thought I'd never use it anyway.

Cheers
David
--
The Microsoft XPS Document Writer (MXDW)
(Re)Installing the Microsoft XPS Printer
How to Install Microsoft XPS Printer
XPS Document Writer is missing - can this be installed?
Last edited by David.P on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I thought that the "XPS Document Writer"-printer was needed for the "PDF-XChange Lite V6" printer.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... ot-working

If it is also needed for drag-and-drop and open Word documents in PDF-XChange Editor V6, I do not know.

Maybe Tracker Software Development people can give us a short word of explanation?

Best regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Unfortunately, none of the above seemed to work.

I have both installed the XPS Plugin and the XPS printer (and repaired the Word 2007 installation) -- but still get that message, when dragging DOC or RTF files into PDF-XChange Editor:

@Tracker Support Team: Is it possible to explain where PDF-XChange Editor looks for the file converter components of Word in order to be able to read DOC and RTF files?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Personally, I do not have the problem in Windows 10 32-bit Home Edition, with MS Word 2010 SP2 and PDF-XChange Editor V6 (build 320.1). Via a drag-and-drop of a *.docx onto the Editor's window, the Word-file converts and opens correctly.
Via Task Manager I can see a brief run of winword.exe during the conversion process.

Still some points you can check:
1) Does Word start via Start > Run > Open: winword
2) Is it possible to Save As an XPS file
3) Is it possible to Print to an XPS

If these three points are all True, then myself, I have no idea of the cause ...
Trying to resolve the problem by an un-install and a re-install of PDF-XChange Editor ?
Maybe it picks up something from MS Word during the installation process ?
ChrisZ16
User

Post by ChrisZ16 »

It works with Word 2010 and PDF-XChange Editor V6 build 320.1 (in my case Windows 7).

But from David's screenshots he wants to open *.doc-files (the old standard format up to Word 2003), not *.docx.

If I remember right, in a parallel installation of Word 2003 and Word 2007 *.doc is associated with Word 2003 and *.docx with Word 2007.

So when he drags a *.doc on PDF-XChange Editor probably the old winword.exe is starting and PDF-XChange Editor tries to tell it to save it (like in Word 2010, probably not possible) or print it to pdf and wants to open that pdf.

And this pdf-printer/component for Word 2003 seems to be missing. Maybe it has to do with the PXVLib shown in the error message? With Word 2010 and the latest PDF-XChange Editor I don't have that on my system.

David, if you open a *.doc in Word 2007 (!) and do "Save as" and choose type *.docx - can you then drag and drop the *.docx on PDF-XChange Editor?

Regards
Chris
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Willy and Chris,

originally, when I had only Word 2003 installed, I could import RTF files by dragging them into PDF-XChange Editor. Then I additionally installed Word 2007, and it would work with RTF, DOC and DOCX files.

Which however suddenly broke down as described, such that I could import none of the three formats anymore, not even RTF.

In the meantime however, I had to do a system restore (for other reasons) to the state of mid-January. This also fixed the present issue.

Just for completeness, in case the problem should come up again (or for similar problems, where it is not clear what file or registry entry could be missing) the tool Process Monitor could be used to check file and registry access by PDF-XChange Editor.

Thanks again,
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

If I understand correctly, the issue appears to now have been resolved?
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes Will, thank you. At the moment, importing RTF, DOC and DOCX works again.
Cheers
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Awesome, glad to hear that! Let us know if it happens again :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

unfortunately, the issue has reappeared basically overnight:

Word 2007 is installed and fully working.

Thanks for any ideas how this could be resolved!

Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello David,

I do not know if you still have both installations of Word 2003 AND Word 2007.

If this should be the case, then do you sometimes switch from Word 2003 to Word 2007 (or vice-versa) for opening documents?

In between, you probably see a few messages from Word that is installing components?

I think you should best try a "Repair" of the Microsoft Office 2007 installation on your computer, via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Best regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Sorry Willy for not coming back to your earlier on this.

What I actually ended up doing was removing all traces of all Office installations altogether, and then doing a clean install of Word 2003 and Office 2016 (i.e. dropping Office 2007 completely).

The two Word versions coexist beautifully together as soon this fix is applied.

What's more, the problem of this thread is also resolved. I can insert Word documents in existing PDF documents again, for example by simply dragging them from Windows Explorer between bookmarks or thumbnails of the existing PDF file.

Thank you and
Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks David for the information.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp