Various issues with Fit Page / Width, Gap and GUI boundaries

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

Various issues with Fit Page / Width, Gap and GUI boundaries

Post by Timur Born »

Hello everyone! Here is a list of issues I am having related to page fitting and generally rendering of page boundaries within the Editor GUI elements:

Fit Width (CTRL-2) renders the page slightly too wide in Ribbon mode. As a consequence you need to scroll sideways two times instead of one in order to flip pages with non-continuous page layouts, once to scroll the extra width and another to finally flip the page.

I also wonder why both in Standard and Ribbon mode the page gap not only appears in between neighboring pages, but all around every page, even in non-continuous layout modes? As a consequence there is a gap all around the page even when Fit Page or Fit Width are used. In full-screen Ribbon mode there even remain gaps on top/bottom and (smaller one) left side when gaps are turned off.

Also when the gap is turned off Editor draws a 1 pixel gray/black line on top of the page boundaries (not around), even in full-screen mode. This line is really drawn on top of the page content, which I strongly dislike. There also is no use for this line, because in windowed mode the document is framed by the window frame anyway, unfortunately including a shadow being thrown on the document that cannot be turned off. And in full-screen mode there is even less use for a boundary line.

The latter also leads to page divider lines of continuous modes being 2 pixels strong in full-screen mode, whereas they are only 1 pixel strong in windowed mode (and Acrobat). Ribbon full-screen 2 page mode uses a 1 pixel divider in between the two pages, but 2 pixels in between one double page to the next double page.

Overall there shouldn't be any lines and shadows drawn on top of the document contents. Draw the lines around the document and allow for GUI shadows to be turned off or layer them below document content when the page isn't blank at the edges. When Fit Page / Width are used the "around" lines will then vanish away as they should, especially in full-screen mode.
David.P
User

Re: Various issues with Fit Page / Width, Gap and GUI bounda

Post by David.P »

Timur, I think some screenshots would help in order to see what exactly you are referring to in each case :)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Given that reproducing the bug is only one key-press away I didn't think screenshots were necessary (it's a bit tedious for such obvious things :P). The very moment you change to Ribbon mode while in single page fit width view the horizontal scroll-bar will show up, because the document grows wider than the screen.

I just noticed another issue: Changing between standard and Ribbon mode changes the reading position on the page. Both make the position jump to either the end of the page or to the last quarter of the page, both jump to different positions.

Concerning the gap related issues, they are mostly design problems, so the Tracker team needs to decide whether they would change the current design or not. I don't like these design decisions and current Editor behavior, but that doesn't mean Tracker concurs with my view. ;)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Just reporting: No change in 321.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

Sorry for the lack of response, I'm not sure how, but this appears to have 'slipped under the radar.'
Fit Width (CTRL-2) renders the page slightly too wide in Ribbon mode. As a consequence you need to scroll sideways two times instead of one in order to flip pages with non-continuous page layouts, once to scroll the extra width and another to finally flip the page.
- Reproduced here, passing it along.
I also wonder why both in Standard and Ribbon mode the page gap not only appears in between neighboring pages, but all around every page, even in non-continuous layout modes? As a consequence there is a gap all around the page even when Fit Page or Fit Width are used. In full-screen Ribbon mode there even remain gaps on top/bottom and (smaller one) left side when gaps are turned off.
I believe that this is done on purpose, but I'll pass it along to double check.
Also when the gap is turned off Editor draws a 1 pixel gray/black line on top of the page boundaries (not around), even in full-screen mode. This line is really drawn on top of the page content, which I strongly dislike. There also is no use for this line, because in windowed mode the document is framed by the window frame anyway, unfortunately including a shadow being thrown on the document that cannot be turned off. And in full-screen mode there is even less use for a boundary line.
I don't see any issues with this border overlapping content, perhaps because I don't have any samples with content in that area. Can you send an appropriate sample and screen-shot of what you're seeing.
The latter also leads to page divider lines of continuous modes being 2 pixels strong in full-screen mode, whereas they are only 1 pixel strong in windowed mode (and Acrobat). Ribbon full-screen 2 page mode uses a 1 pixel divider in between the two pages, but 2 pixels in between one double page to the next double page.
Again, I'll need to double check this, but I believe that this is done on purpose, to make the divides between pages clearer.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:
I believe that this is done on purpose, but I'll pass it along to double check.
In Ribbon mode the upper and lower gap are 14 pixels high, the left gap is only 1 pixel wide. This is with gaps being turned off! What would the intention of that be? :P

Generally I think that in full-screen mode gaps around the pages seem rather useless, while gaps in between pages (Two Page and continuous) are still useful. So maybe Editor should only use gaps in between pages in FS mode?!
I don't see any issues with this border overlapping content, perhaps because I don't have any samples with content in that area. Can you send an appropriate sample and screen-shot of what you're seeing.
First of all I need to correct myself. Upon further inspection it turns out that the page shadows remain outside of the page. In windowed mode it only seems as if the page shadow would overlap the page content, because the window border/scroll-bar throw their own shadow on the page. This looks nice, but I would prefer if it could be switched in preferences.

In full-screen mode the one line border at the left and top and bottom side turn out not to be on top of the document/content, but form a real 1 pixel gap when gaps are turned off. So depending on the zoom settings 1 or 2 perfectly usable pixels get wasted (somewhat funnily exaggerating here ;)). Would be nice if this was fixed at some point, even if it was just to make comparisons between Editor and Reader easier (alt-tab switching).
Again, I'll need to double check this, but I believe that this is done on purpose, to make the divides between pages clearer.
The behavior is different in windowed (1 pixel) and full-screen (2 pixels) mode, so I assume that one behaves wrong?!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

I've just double checked here and I actually don't see anywhere close to a 14px gap. I've tried in Ribbon mode --> Continuous (Single Page), both in and out of fullscreen and I get a ~1.5/2px left/right gap (gaps turned off), and ~1px top/bottom gap:
Gap Width.zip
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
We're not likely to change the 1px border, but if we can find and reproduce the 14px border, the devs may be willing to change this.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I found the culprit. Several of my larger book PDF files are letter format, but their very last page (back-cover) is larger (8,847 in x 11,273 in). Maybe that is done for binding? No idea.

There is a difference in behavior between Editor and Acrobat Reader in that Reader ignores that last pages size for continuous Fit Width until you navigate to that page for the first time. Editor on the other hand is affected by the last page's width and height at once when Single Page continuous or continuous Ribbon modes are used. So I got confused by all the different auto-size behaviors.

Sorry for the extra work! :roll:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Timur Born wrote:Editor on the other hand is affected by the last page's width and height at once when Single Page continuous or continuous Ribbon modes are used
Ah, we're getting somewhere! That effect seems familiar to me. See related discussion here.

I absolutely agree that it would be better if the "Fit Width" zoom setting would set the zoom value such that the currently visible page is fitted to fill the width of the document pane, instead of using the width of the widest page that can be found anywhere in the entire document.

I have lots of documents with like thousands of pages in portrait orientation, where only one or a few pages are in landscape orientation, which however makes the "Fit Width" zoom setting impracticable to use with all of those files.

Therefore, "Fit With" and "Fit Visible Width" (in Continuous view mode) should both be based on the currently visible page width, not on the widest page in the entire document. This is also what "Fit With", "Fit Height" and "Fit Page" already do in "Single Page" view mode.
Last edited by David.P on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I agree that it would be great if width/size would be changed dynamically for the auto settings. Switching side-panels back and forth or changing windows size demonstrates that this is possible.

Acrobat Reader's behavior is somewhat better in, but once you navigate to that one larger page it keeps auto-fitting according to that one page. So it's not a real solution, albeit still more comfortable for my personal use case where only the last page is larger than the rest.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

I'll pass that along to see if we can change the behaviour to the same as Adobe, but it's likely to be a low priority request for now.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Even better would be if it followed David's suggestion of dynamically changing zoom to make the currently viewed page fit the width/size.

For my own PDF files I will just resize that last page now, I can always re-download the original if I should need it at original size.
Arnold
User

Re: Various issues with Fit Page / Width, Gap and GUI boundaries

Post by Arnold »

As I mentioned in the original discussion David referenced, some of the documents I look at can have a 24" x 32" scale drawing stuck right in the middle of letter sized pages. Once I reach that page, the following letter size pages become very small.