Printing Markups 322.3

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Printing Markups 322.3

Post by Arnold »

I have a problem with printing red markups in 322.3. Markups colored red print as white with my normal monochrome setting. They never have before. They print the same way with the grayscale setting. They print fine of course with the color or auto settings. If I change the settings to "print as images", the red markup appears in print preview and will print fine I believe. I am using the same print settings and options I have used for a long time. Please see attached files.

I tried resetting and re-importing all settings. The results were the same, even after re-starting the program. Changing the markup to blue, green or black causes the markup to show up in print preview. Tried it on both Windows XP and Windows 7 laptops. Used a portable version of 321.0 on the Windows XP machine with the same settings, and the problem disappeared. First time I have seen this.
Attachments
Printing Markups 2.pdf
(161.03 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Printing Markups 1.pdf
(139.94 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printing Markups 322.3

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Arnold,

Thank you for the post.Could you please go to Edit> Export settings and post the resulting settings file? Please note that you will need to save it in a zip archive.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is the settings file. I don't believe that is the problem though. I have tried to figure it out over here. I ran a portable version with default factory settings on both the XP and 7 machines, but the problem was still the same.

This is happening with Editor Plus on these 2 laptops. I also have the standard version of the Editor on a desktop computer here in the office. Virtually the same settings, but that machine does not have this problem with build 322.3. Is there much difference between the 2 versions?

Thanks.
Attachments
PDFXChangeEditorSettings 322.zip
(52.17 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Arnold,

I just tested with your settings - and the print preview did show the red highlight correctly (apparently as dark grey at first - as you had Colour Override set to Monochrome):
1.png
When I turned that off - it is visible in Red as well:
2.png
Are you using any custom colour profiles under Edit -> Preferences -> Color Management?

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

No I have never messed with those settings. But you should see these settings if you were using the zipped file I sent over. Please see attached.
Attachments
Color Mgmt.pdf
(30.73 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I just tried using the same settings file I sent you with the desktop computer running the standard Editor version. That computer is pretty old, running Windows XP sp3 with an old ATI Radeon graphics card and an HP monitor. The red markups look fine in monochrome (gray) just as they always have.

As a test I just installed Editor Plus on an old Dell laptop that is no longer in service. Same problem as other 2 laptops. So over here it is limited to 3 laptops running Windows XP and Windows 7. It is only with build 322.3. Everything was fine before this build.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The problem seems to be related to which printer is chosen. In the attached screen shot I have marked the printers that red markups preview okay with (gray). The red circle becomes white with all of the other inkjet, laser and virtual printers. As seen in the screen shot, the preview of a red circle is gray not white with the Generic Text Printer.
Attachments
Printer List.pdf
(39.21 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

I am seeing this issue with my printer as well. I've reported this to the development team. We will investigate the issue and post back when we know more.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Great. Thank you. One thing puzzles me. I have a desktop computer set up the same way as the laptops that have this problem, but it does not. Same build of the Editor, same settings, and printing to the same virtual printer, yet with different results.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello all,

We have reproduced this issue and created a ticket for it. Please reference RT#3911: Issue with colors when printing with monochrome color override when asking for an update to this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to solve this issue.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Will fix the issue when Color Override is set to Grayscale, but with Monochrome not all issues can be fixed.

Monochrome means that only two possible colors available - black and white (strictly speaking any two colors, but in our case, B&W is ok). When option "Print As Image" is enabled, the page content is rasterized as an image, and then this image is converted to B&W using dithering. Dithering allows simulating different shades.
When "Print as Images" is not enabled we cannot use dithering. When an object is rendered, its color is converted to B&W and then used. So, this object will be rendered with solid black or solid white depends on original color.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I understand that light colors will tend towards white when being converted to B&W. I don't think that explains why a dark red color that the Editor always converted to gray in every version up through 321.0, is now suddenly converted to white.

It also does not explain why I have one computer over here, running 322.4, that still prints in B&W just like all older versions. We now have the inconsistency of one computer behaving like all previous versions, and two computers behaving differently.

Windows XP sp3 32 bit Desktop (Build 322.4) - still printing dark red as gray
Windows XP sp3 32 bit Laptop (Build 322.4) - now printing dark red as white
Windows 7 sp1 64 bit Laptop (Build 322.4) - now printing dark red as white

Patrick saw it on his computer also, which I believe is a Windows 10 machine.

Please see all attached screen shots.
Attachments
Windows XP Desktop.pdf
(281.4 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Windows XP Laptop.pdf
(191.2 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Windows 7 Laptop.pdf
(567.47 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I had to use the attached form recently, and was reminded of the problem the latest versions seem to have with printing reddish colors. I am using 322.7 but I initially noticed it with 322.3. This form opens and prints fine on one Windows XP computer, but does not on a second Windows XP computer or a Windows 7 computer. The program appears to be inconsistent with regard to the printing of this form. All 3 computers are set to monochrome printing. To my knowledge, this was never a problem prior to 322.3.

Is this being addressed in version 7?
Attachments
APP-EEW Employee Enrollment-Waiver Form_8-15.pdf
(702.17 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,
Ivan says it is already fixed for V7. Enjoy. :-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Beautiful. Thank you.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin