Combining files out of order

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

construction_Reporters
User

Combining files out of order

Post by construction_Reporters »

Hello,

Thus far, loving the product. There are a couple issues though, and I'm not sure if It is something we can fix in settings.
Most pressing is this.

We'll often have many pdf files (7-200). Let's say they are named a-201 a-202 etc etc through a-9-9, then we will also have s-101 through to s-501 for instance.
When we right click and combine, it puts the last 10 or so files at the top of the list. Sometimes it will be the ones from the top that get thrown to the bottom.
Once this is addressed I can probably drop the competitors product altogether.

Thanks!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Combining files out of order

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello construction_Reporters,

Thank you for your post. This sounds like an issue we had addressed in a recent build. Could you please go to Help> About and let us know what version and build you are running?

Alternatively, you can use the File> New Document> Combine pages option. This feature allows you fine control of pages and document order:

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
construction_Reporters
User

6.0 322

I totally just tried to close the image you posted.
Is it possible for me to update the installer I keep on the server here? We process enough data to be paranoid about failures.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Certainly - if having the installer locally rather than downloading it as needed is more convenient for you!

Regards,
Stefan
construction_Reporters
User

I updated the program.

Using file new combine, it works as expected. I will do that for now.

Via explorer, of a 893 page document, it send 1-7 to the bottom and 350-351 to be between 0 and 1.

If there is a way to get that going via the explorer context menu, please let me know
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to hear that it works via File -> New-> Combine...

Unfortunately when you try to combine the files through Windows Explorer - the order in which those are sent to us is determined by Windows - and we do not have full control over this process - hence the unexpected results.

Regards,
Stefan
construction_Reporters
User

So I have more information on this as a result of similar behavior in our own eu product.

Of you select say 10 files, and click on the 4th or 5th file or whatever, the files BELOW that in explorer are tossed on top, and the files above are being tossed on the bottom. While this is a massive improvement over the previous incarnation of the issue, it is ultimately a massive pain in the *you can't say that here*.

The same issue occurs when drag drop adn ole function happen on 7/8.1/10 etc for Json with php.
The problem IS NOT prone to replicate on the Xp workhorses.
It is actually a fairly substantial problem when we are busy. :|
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the extra info - so at least we now have a 'consistent' behaviour - even if it can cause workflow problems.
I am afraid that still - this is beyond our control.

Cheers,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Best thing to do is to click on the first/upper most file in explorer *after* you selected all files you need. That way you know that everything below the click-point is sent in the order of how you sorted it in explorer (like by name ascending, date or whatever). If you need any more special order than what explorer offers as sort options then you need to use Editor's own combine dialog.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)