Placement of the signature failed

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ganix33
User

Placement of the signature failed

Post by ganix33 »

Good morning,

I've read previous posts with same topic, but seems it's not solved. Version installed is 322.4 and certificate es correct -works with other programs. It's in a smart card reader, not software. If I try with a installed certificate the doc is succesfully signed.

Thnaks in advance.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Placement of the signature failed

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ganix33,

Welcome to out forums, and thanks for your post!
Can you please update to 322.5 - as this is the current latest version, and then try to create a new signature template with your certificate device.
If ti still does not work - please do let us know the exact make and model of the device - so that we can look at this further!

Regards,
Stefan
ganix33
User

Post by ganix33 »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. I've updated to 322.5 and result is the same. Attached is a device pic.
Smart card device.jpg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ganix33,

Thanks for sharing those details.
I will pass them to a colleague that deals with digital signatures, but we might need remote access to your machine so that we can run some tests on it.
Is this something you could provide if requested?

Regards,
Stefan
ganix33
User

Post by ganix33 »

Hi Stefan,
Back from holidays! Yes, I could provide you access to the affected computer. Just tell me when and how to do it.

Thanks a lot.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for your willingness!

The colleague I had in mind is back from his summer holiday tomorrow - so let me check with him and we will then arrange for the remote so that we can take a look.

Regards,
Stefan
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

After upgrading the operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 we are also experiencing this problem.

It seems that we are not able to digitally sign any documents at all.

Version 6.0.322.0 of Editor Pro throws the error "Sign Document - Placement of the signature failed. Error [Operating system]: The data is invalid."

Version 6.0.322.7 of Editor Pro throws the error "Sign Document - Placement of the signature failed. Error [Operating system]: The parameter is incorrect."

With Windows 7 on the the same PC hardware, same card reader and same smart card we had no problems signing documents.

Can you please try to get this solved soon?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ANI,

Was this an upgrade from 7 to 10? Or was the 10 installed as a new clean OS?
Also - is your device relying on some drivers to work properly? And are the same drivers available on the manufacturer's website for download? Also - are there separate versions for Win 7 and Win 10?

Please answer the above question, and I will then see if one of our signatures experts can arrange a remote to investigate the problem!

Regards,
Stefan
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Hi Stefan,

It was a clean install (Windows 10 Enterprise N 2016 LTSB 64-bit English, a.k.a 1607 = RS1).

Yes, the USB card reader device is relying on the drivers provided by the smart card manufacturer (download location here).

The same driver version applies to Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks ANI,

I will need to pass this to our devs for them to take a look.
If it is needed - would you be willing to arrange a remote session with us so that we can investigate the problem on a machine where such a device is present?

Cheers,
Stefan
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Hi Stefan,

I think that it can be arranged if it is the only way for getting this problem solved.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi ANI,

Just heard from my colleagues - yes a remote will be needed, so can you please tell us what times and which days are convenient for you for a remote, and which time zone you are in?
The colleague that will be connecting is in our Canadian office (Pacific time zone), so early in the morning or late in the evening European times are better for us than, say noon :)
And if you can leave a machine available overnight - that would be ideal!

Regards,
Stefan
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Ok, I'll arrange a test workstation for you. I will provide you with the details via email within the next few days...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

That would be lovely ANI!

Looking forward to that e-mail!

Cheers,
Stefan
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Email sent along with instructions on how to reach the test environment I set up for you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks ANI,

Passing that along to the person that will do the remote.
It will happen later in the evening European time, as he is in our Canadian office!

Cheers,
Stefan
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Was the debugging session fruitful...?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ANI,

My colleagues in Canada are not yet in, As soon as they come - I will ask how the remote went and post an update here!

Regards,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hello Ani,

we have completed our investigations. Thank you so much for keeping that machine available for the engineers.

We have determined the cause of the issue and a fix is ready to be delivered in the next build (V7.0). That may still be a few weeks away yet.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that I can release the resources I have kept allocated to your dev team.

I only do hope that tour "a few weeks" do not in this case mean what I have learned it to mean more often than it should... (I'm now speaking about my personal observations in the software industry within the last 30 years). Had I just known about this problem I would surely have delayed the migration to Windows 10 until this will be fixed.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ANI,

We are working on finalizing the new build at this time, and it is planned for later this month, so it should not take longer than a few weeks!
And as the investigation and the fix were implemented by the project leader - you can be sure the fix is already applied in the code and will not be missed in the upcoming build!

Cheers,
Stefan
camilo suárez riera
User

Post by camilo suárez riera »

Hi everybody here! This is my first post.... and I am experiencing the same problem!

I am trying to sign ("place a signature") in an already signed document through Adobe Acrobat (in fact in three documents, all of them signed the same way, from the same colleague)
After all the standard procedure, the program asks for a folder where to save the document, tries to save it and.. voilá! the "Placement of the signature failed" pops up, stating "Failure [System]: Unknown error: 0xC0000225."

Checking the document properties, under "Security, Document Permissions Details" I can see: "Changing the Document: Not Allowed * " (* Signature(s) in this document will restrict some operations") Is this normal? Or is it this what does not allowed me to sign the document?

I have previously set the program to perform an incremental save, shut it and reopened it.
It is PDF-XChange Editor Plus Portable edition Version: 6.0 (Build 321.0)
I was considering to download and install the latest version but apparently this does not solve the problem. Am I right? Do I have to wait until you release a new version? Is there any news regarding this issue?

Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello camilo suárez riera,

Welcome to our forums, and sorry to hear that you are having a similar problem.
Please try the current build (322.7) - as we are almost constantly making changes to signing - so your issue while quite similar to the original post, might be separate and already fixed.

As for the new build - it had to be delayed, and is now planned for release in November.

Regards,
Stefan
camilo suárez riera
User

Post by camilo suárez riera »

Hi Stefan:

Well, I've downloaded and installed the latest version and it solved the problem!
Now I am able to digitally sign documents through PDFX-Change Editor Plus Portable edition v 6.0 (Build 322.7)

Than you, very much!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello camilo suárez riera,

Glad to hear that the update helped in your case!

Regards,
Stefan