Deleting files inside Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

HaPe
User

Deleting files inside Editor

Post by HaPe »

Hello Tracker Support,
I'd like to be able to delete an open file directly in Editor by right clicking on its tab and then having the option to "delete file"
Using the option "open containing folder" opens up the Explorer which is already a nice feature,but to finally delete the file
I have to close it first in Editor.This step hides the Explorer and I have to bring it back to the foreground.
This is normally not a big deal,but when you have to delete a lot of files it gets tiresome.....

Maybe there is already a solution to my "problem" and I am just not aware of it ?

HaPe
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Deleting files inside Editor

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I guess the reason why you like to first open your PDFs in PDF-XChange Editor and only then deleting them?

Probably you like to first get a view on it and so to be sure to delete the right files?

So, why not use the "Preview pane" in Windows Explorer and delete your files from there?

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Willy , HaPe,

I was writing something in the lines of Willy's reply - but he just beat me to it!
We do not currently see this as a high demand feature, and given that if you need to just view and delete the files - you can already do so directly in Windows Explorer, it is not likely that such a feature will be implemented, but I will put it forward to the project leaders for consideration!

Cheers,
Stefan
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Thanks Willy & thanks Stefan,
for your quick replies !

to @Willy:
Deleting files inside Editor would be - at least in my case - much more convenient.I often download pdf-files containing technical information.
Most of the time they do not have the information I'm looking for and so I want to get rid of them right away without having to open the Explorer first.

to @Stefan:
As I already wrote it's not a big deal.If it is possible for you to implement it ,I would appreciate it.
==========================
and yes: it is tough to beat Willy - I guess he must have some kind of a blocking button that prevents Tracker Support from being faster
than him :D
Willy Van Nuffel
User

1) I do not know if still an other "work-around" might help ...
Once you have closed the PDF, you can click the Open button in PDF-XChange Editor, and there you have the look-alike of Windows Explorer.
Via the Open dialog box, you can also delete the PDF that you just downloaded and opened (via a right mouse click + Delete).

2) I am always happy to assist people (as good as I can). Just a word of appreciation or thanks makes it worth the effort.

Best regards.
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Willy,
The idea is not bad and would actually work provided the right folder where the file is located would be opened.
Unfortunately this is not always the case and I would have to browse which is time consuming.

thanks again Willy - your postings are always appreciated.

HaPe
Willy Van Nuffel
User

One step beyond ...

If you download files - by using each time the same browser - they download to the same folder (like C:\users\Willy\downloads in Google Chrome).

In Windows Explorer, you can create a "Favorite" or "Quick access" for such a folder.

So, you only need one extra click to reach it.

Unfortunately, this is still not exactly what you were looking for, I know ...
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Willy,
I know exactly what you mean (at least I hope so...) but it is not "universal" enough.Apart from downloaded files I generally want to have the possibility to delete any open file - no matter where it is located.
I just tested it in Notepad++ .There you have the option (right clicking on tab) "Move to Recycle Bin", which is great and does exactly what I want.

I know from a thread months ago that things that can be done inside Notepad++ (renaming open files for instance)
can't be done in Editor because of its complexity compared to Notepad++.
So I will have to wait and see if Tracker can implement the "delete" feature some time in the future.

Again Willy : thank you very much for your help and ideas

HaPe
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

2014: Feature Request: rename "open" files
2016: Renaming a pdf when it is open
2017: Renaming a pdf file while it is opened
2017: Deleting files inside Editor (this thread)
;)

Examples for this feature:

Notepad++:

Google Docs:
click to try

PDF-XChange Editor:

Last edited by David.P on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback this topic has gathered.
We've had an internal discussion - and unfortunately fear that we will get more people that accidentally delete files than it will benefit, so for the time being it is put at the lower priority list. It might eventually be implemented - as my colleagues told me it is not complicated to do from a technical point of view - but we will need much more feedback and requests for such a feature.

As for the "rename" - I will bring this up again for a review!

Cheers,
Stefan
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: but we will need much more feedback and requests for such a feature.
O.k., here is my feedback:

To my mind there is something in the following argument:
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: We've had an internal discussion - and unfortunately fear that we will get more people that accidentally delete files than it will benefit
Although on the one hand I understand HaPe's needs, on the other hand I like the certainty that I cannot by error delete a file while using the XChange Editor: I know that it is a tool for reading or for editing a document, but not for deleting it. In other words: I can be sure that I have to close the document within the Editor and that I have to "leave" the Editor in order to remove a document from my computer (doing it from some other place "outside" the Editor). (Perhaps apart from the workaround mentioned by Willy.)

Or the same in a little bit philosophical words: There is the sphere of the software (where i can "only" use / work with / a document) and the sphere of my computer as a whole where I can decide about the existence or non-existence of a document on this computer.

This distinction is - at least psychologically - not bad. :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your oppinion Peter,

That's how we feel as well, and unless there's an overwhelming demand otherwise - we do not anticipate implementing a delete feature in the foreseeable future.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

+1 least for adding at least Rename and Move in the program.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Just 'Rename' would be fine with me, because 'Move' would require some kind of Explorer-like file dialog. Resticting the feature to 'Rename' could be done intuitively for example like so:
Of course if 'Move' should be implemented as well, 'Rename' still could remain very simple as in the screenshot.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I think you are right that implementing Rename would be easier than Move. Had not considered that side of it.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello,

It is a known fact that you can not rename, move, delete files in a Microsoft Windows environment while they are "open" in an application.
A (simple) work-around is to first close them (programmatically) before running the action.

Even though, personally, I see PDF-XChange Editor as an "editor" in the first place, not as a (PDF-) "file manager".

And, thanks to the PDF-XChange Editor shell extensions for Windows File Explorer, you can use PDF-XChange Editor as a previewer of your PDF-files, while you have all the Windows File Explorer tools available for rename, move and delete. The best of both worlds (at this moment).

The only inconvenient on this, is that you do not have the "Most Recently Used" file list (MRU) from the Editor to browse your "recent" PDF-files.

Best regards to everyone.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Come on Willy ;)

this has been discussed ad nauseam ;) in the four threads mentioned in #9 above.

It is clear that the file has to be closed for a split second (or saved as under the new name and the old file deleted) in order to be "renamed while open".

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

It was just meant as an end-resume.

Finally, it will be up to Tracker Software what is going to become of the request for rename, move, delete via PDF-XChange Editor itself.

:-)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi David, Willy,

Thanks for the End resume and further comments!
As of the moment we are not actively working on those features, and observing the situation. If demand changes in the future - anything is possible, but for now please Windows Explorer will dominate the PDF file manipulation world! :D

Cheers,
Stefan