German Umlaut in form-field as default value / Shows correctly in XChange-Editor / Wrong in Adobe Reader

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PatrickBaeumel
User

German Umlaut in form-field as default value / Shows correctly in XChange-Editor / Wrong in Adobe Reader

Post by PatrickBaeumel »

Dear all,

unfortunately I have some problems with german Umlauts (ö,ü,ä) if set in a default-value of a form-field.
In XChange-Editor they show up fine; but if I open up that same file in Adobe Reader these show up some strange characters.

See Screenshots and PDF in Attachment.
XChange-Editor
XChange-Editor
Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader
Best regards,
Patrick
Attachments
DFÜ-Vereinbarung_Kunde_Formular.pdf
PDF-File
(215.34 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: German Umlaut in form-field as default value / Shows correctly in XChange-Editor / Wrong in Adobe Reader

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to our forums and thanks for the post!
Can you please also send us a blank copy of that file? That has not been modified with the Editor at all?

As in that sample you sent to me - I was unable to enter an umlaut at all in Adobe - it was showing me a square instead of the expected ü (I do not have a German keyboard so I enter this as Alt + 0252).

Regards,
Stefan
PatrickBaeumel
User

Re: German Umlaut in form-field as default value / Shows correctly in XChange-Editor / Wrong in Adobe Reader

Post by PatrickBaeumel »

Hi Stefan,

thank for your response.

You are completely right even if I try to enter Umlauts in the form-fiels it will not show correctly in Adobe Reader (haven`t tried that until I read you posting.)

Of course I could provide you with PDF unedited.
But the unedited version will not contain the form-fields as just inserted them with XChange Editor.

Best regards,
Patrick
Attachments
DFÜ-Vereinbarung_Kunde.pdf
Unedited Version of PDF (without form-fields)
(156.8 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Patrick,

Just tested adding a form field to the empty file - and then typing an umlaut inside - it seems to me to be working properly (see attachment), so can you please check which build of the Editor you are using (Help -> About) - as if you have anything older than 322.7 please update as it seems like the issue has already been resolved.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
test1.pdf
(166.61 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
PatrickBaeumel
User

Post by PatrickBaeumel »

Dear Stefan,

in the meantime I already did the update (Version: 6.0, Build: 322.7).

Now things get even stranger:
If I use your file, and open it in Adobe Reader (as well as XChange Editor) then I see all Umlauts correctly and could enter them without problem no wether in which software.

If I do exactly the same as you did:
Starting with the empty PDF, insert a form-text-field in XChange-Editor, save to file and open it up in Adobe Reader; then I continue to get "strange characters" (square).

To make thinks more and more strange:
I inserted a second form-text-field and added a default value with Umlaut, then this will work on XChange Editor as well as Adobe Reader.
Screenshot of Adobe Reader with my sample
Screenshot of Adobe Reader with my sample
Screenshot of XChange Editor incl. About-Screen
Screenshot of XChange Editor incl. About-Screen
Best regards,
Patrick
Attachments
DFÜ-Vereinbarung_Kunde_Formular_v2.pdf
(166.52 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Patrick,

Can you please tell me what is the Locate (Regional and Language) settings for your machine?
I have it set to English (United Kingdom) here on my machine. Maybe that is causing the troubles!?

Regards,
Stefan
PatrickBaeumel
User

Post by PatrickBaeumel »

Hi Stefan,

these (Language and Region) are all set to "German" on Win 10 Pro (Version 1703, Build 15063.632).
2017-09-26_170634.jpg
Best regards,
Patrick
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Patrick,

This will now need to be checked by a colleague in the dev team, but as soon as we have further advise - we will post it here!

Cheers,
Stefan
Thomas W.
User

Post by Thomas W. »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:This will now need to be checked by a colleague in the dev team, but as soon as we have further advise - we will post it here!
Are there any news to this subject? I do have the same problem as Patrick. Inside the PDF-XChange Editor the fields work fine. In Adobe Reader I do get squares instead of the German umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß) and all other non-ASCII characters are broken too (e.g. è -> Ł, é -> Ø). I do use the actual non installed portable version of PDF XChange Editor on a Win 7 Pro.

Regards,
Thomas
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Thomas,

Yes - there is a known issue with fonts inside form fields - and our devs are working on getting this resolved.
We hope to be able to fix this for the very next build, but for the moment it is not 100% confirmed as fixed - so it might be the builds after.

Regards,
Stefan
Rolf Beier
User

Post by Rolf Beier »

To me the same issue occurs. I designed a form with PDF Xpert and filled in values using Acrobat Reader. All German Umlaut appear as a box.
Is there any fix in sight with the next product update? Any ideas when this will be?
Or are any other Workarounds available?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ROlf,

Welcome to our forums.
Is "PDF Xpert" a third party product? If it is - and you created your form with that, and then filled it in with Adobe - how are our products related to the problem? Or do you mean that the form looks OK in Adobe's products, but when the same is opened in ours the umlauts are replaced by other shapes instead?

Can you share a sample with us?

Regards,
Stefan
PDF-Klaus
User

Post by PDF-Klaus »

Hello, I just bought PDF-Xchange Pro V7. Startet to design some Templates, which went fine. When I startet to distribute them, I noticed that - when opened by Adobe Reader - the fields do not display the complete letter set. German Umlauts are missing.
I tried several other fonts, it worked with ARIAL BLACK STANDARD, but I can not use this in my documents.
Is this a bug and still the same problem users noticed many months ago? I can not use this software, when it does not create documents with ALL the letters ;-)
Also I understand, I can not embed fonts in this case, right?
What can I do?

Thanks,
Klaus
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Klaus,
If the characters are not migrating, it is possible that adobe is not correctly using the font subset you have set, or does not have access to it. In cases like this, embedding the font may help, but it depends on how adobe chooses to handle the font.
To forcibly embed a font, you can either save the document as a PDF/A (archival format) file using our "save as" function:
DMKB18August119.png
Or print it to PDF using our Standard or Lite printers (not recommended).

Note that the latter method, while it works in this case, can lead to other issues with affected documents, including eventual document corruption, this is an unfortunate side effect of printing PDF to PDF directly.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com