Scrolling a page at a time in facing view

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ClaudiaC
User

Scrolling a page at a time in facing view

Post by ClaudiaC »

Hello!

I am very happy to have found the PDF-XChange Editor Software. It's great!

I am in need of a feature that might be a bit unusual, and I wonder if there's a way to make it work.

I want to use the Editor to annotate and display sheet music at the piano. The favorite view for this is 2 facing pages. Of course this works great, either in the editor view or in full screen mode.

However, when I scroll down (incidentally using a bluetooth page turner pedal, which I am pleased to say worked seamlessly with the editor), I'd like the page count to advance by only one page.

Instead of
view 1 & 2 -- (page turn) -- view 3 & 4 -- (page turn) -- view 5 & 6 -- etc.

I'd like it to show
view 1 & 2 -- (page turn) -- view 2 & 3 -- (page turn) -- view 3 & 4 -- etc.

It is very useful to already know what's coming up on the next page. Abrupt printed-book-page-turns aren't so great for this purpose.
Is there a way (please please please) to get this to work?

I appreciate any assistance you can give me in advance!
/Claudia
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling a page at a time in facing view

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello ClaudiaC,

Thank you for your post. I think you will enjoy the use horizontal scrolling with Ribbon Layout (View> Page Layout> Ribbon) with continuous scroll.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
ClaudiaC
User

Post by ClaudiaC »

Dear Patrick,

thank you so much for your prompt reply.

A couple of observations after switching to the ribbon view:
1. using the left/right arrow keys does not scroll a page but an increment thereof. So repeated application of one such key is required to scroll the width of a page. This is not a workable solution as this requires too much concentration and the page you're playing from isn't steady but moves.
2. it appears that ribbon view is not available in full screen mode.

For the next 2 points, imagine scrolling front-to-back through a document, and you start with only part of a page showing on the screen.
1. pageUp/pageDown keys move to the next full view if only part of the next page is showing, the next screen will show the remaining part thereof. So you end up with half pages. That won't do.
2. hitting Enter (once or twice, depending on the context) will show indeed the previously partial page fully. But for this to give the desired result (being able to preview a page while playing one), one would need to adjust the display to show exactly about 3 or more pages (as ribbon view always shows a minimum of 2-and-a-bit pages - if I want to preview one whole page, I have to show 3). The scrolling still happens every 2 pages. Unfortunately, showing 3 pages at a time makes the visible size per page much smaller. Also, what would the "reverse" button be if Enter is used in such a way to advance?

Did I understand this right?

Tricky, tricky.

Could you please give it some more thought: is there a way to display multiple pages (ideally 2, ideally in full screen mode) and scroll just one page at a time?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

/Claudia
ClaudiaC
User

Post by ClaudiaC »

So is the final word on this that my initial request is not feasible?

Regards,
/Claudia
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

- You can enable full screen Ribbon mode by assigning a keyboard shortcut to it. Personally I use ALT+R for Ribbon and ALT+S for Standard.

I am sure that I just made the page flipping work the way you wanted, but now it doesn't. I will try again later when I find time and report back.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Seems like I got confused. CTRL+Up/Down does flip single pages, but only the counter, not the actual page. This would be something I would also like to see changed in Ribbon mode.

There is kind of a workaround:

In Standard mode + Two Pages, you can switch between "Show Cover page" on and off. What you need to program your foot pedal for is to send the key combination for switching that and then on every second page also send a key to flip pages. It's convoluted and may need something like an AutoHotKey script to get the "every second page" part working, though.