Error when optimizing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kjensen
User

Error when optimizing

Post by kjensen »

I have tried multiple times to optimize this document and keep getting the attached error. I have tried changing the optimize settings, but nothing has worked for me yet.
Any ideas on this?

I am using pdf-xchange editor plus, version 6.0, build 322.7
Attachments
OptimizeError.GIF
pdf xchange editor pro, build 7
windows 10
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Error when optimizing

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello kjensen,

Can we please get a copy of the file?
If it is not to be shared on the forums - you can send a copy to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic.

Regards,
Stefan
kjensen
User

Post by kjensen »

Thanks for offering your help!

The pdf is too large to attach to the forum, or an email. But I sent an email with a link to the pdf.
windows 10
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Katie,

Thanks for the file.
I managed to run an optimisation of it (with image optimisation turned off though) - and reduced it from 129.97 MB to 119.45 MB.
With image optimisation included - I also got an error in the optimisation process.

Please note that this is a 3654 pages document - so the average size per page is 36 KB - which is quite acceptable and will be hard to go much lower than that.

Regards,
Stefan
kjensen
User

Post by kjensen »

Thanks for your help! I would have never thought the error was coming from the images.
I also turned them off and was able to optimize the document (which is making editing it much easier now!).
I am curious if you know what about the images is causing that error? That way we can try to avoid it in the future.
windows 10
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Katie,

Image optimization (especially with re-sampling) is quite more resource heavy - so that is what I suspect is causing the optimisation process to fail with that turned on, but I will need to wait for my colleagues to finish their investigation before I can provide any more specific reasons, but if your idea was not to touch the images in the first place - I am happy that the optimization with that part turned off helped making the file easier to work with!

Regards,
Stefan