Deselecting Radio Buttons  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

njbeep
User

Deselecting Radio Buttons

Post by njbeep »

Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance on deslecting a radio button checkmark. I have messed with all the available properties but once a radio button is selected, i cannot seem to deselect it (check by default is off). I have spent a good deal of time searching the forums and Google, i cannot seem to turn up any more information.

My version is PDF-XChange Editor Plus, Version 6.0 (Build 318.0) Sep 13, 2016; 15:49:33

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
nj
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Deselecting Radio Buttons

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi njbeep

you mean radio buttons within a document. Right?

I believe this may be possible via JavaScript. My initial reading is that is is not simple to implement but should be possible. Can you give us a few days to do some investigation?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I have always known that radio buttons are to be used in a group of at least two buttons or more.
The goal is to be able to make a choice between two or more options.

If you only need one radio button to indicate whether an option is ON or OFF than you can better opt for a check box.
If you like, you can set the "Check Box Style" to be a Circle (within a square) via the Properties of the check box.

Regards.
Attachments
PDF Form.pdf
(14.1 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
njbeep
User

Post by njbeep »

Thank you both for your replies.

I have attached the PDF i am referring to. My issue is that let us say a parent wants to enrol their child on Monday the 22nd but acidentally hit Monday the 15th. There is no way to deselect that option if they make a mistake.

I have grouped them by the day so that you can either choose a Full-Day or one of the half days (Morning/Afternoon).

I am familiar with coding, i program in Python, so any guidance adding the JS to this to enable a deselect function would be greatly appreciated. Btw, i am from Australia so it may take some time to reply.

Thanks so much again, PDF Xchange Editor is a wonderful piece of software and i am so glad i purchased it!

njbeep
njbeep
User

Post by njbeep »

Sorry, i just noticed the rules for uploading files. I have reattached the file in a folder as a .zip.

Thanks.
njbeep
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi njbeep,

Can you please check if the file is really attached to your post, after you have clicked the 'Submit' button?

More info:
While you are introducing a new post, you can click below the large text box - at the right of the "Options" tab - on the menu-tab.
You will see a pop-up/topic where you have to click on the hyperlink 'Attachments'. Then click 'Add files', select a file and click "Open".
Then click 'Submit'. I hope this will work for you.

Currently, I do not see a hyperlink to download your sample file.

Best regards.
njbeep
User

Post by njbeep »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Hi njbeep,

Can you please check if the file is really attached to your post, after you have clicked the 'Submit' button?

More info:
While you are introducing a new post, you can click below the large text box - at the right of the "Options" tab - on the menu-tab.
You will see a pop-up/topic where you have to click on the hyperlink 'Attachments'. Then click 'Add files', select a file and click "Open".
Then click 'Submit'. I hope this will work for you.

Currently, I do not see a hyperlink to download your sample file.

Best regards.
I did hit submit before the .zip uploaded, sorry. I have waited until the upload is 100% in this reply. Please let me know if this upload is successful. Thank you for your vigilance.

Warm regards,
njbeep
Willy Van Nuffel
User

In the current status, your sample ZIP-file can be downloaded without problems.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello njbeep,

Thanks for the sample file.
I presume the issue is with the radio buttons on the row below "I am attending the following workshop/s:"
You have the radio buttons in front of "One week workshowp dates:" and "22Jan - 25 Jan" in the same Group3, but the radio in front of 15-19Jan is a separate Group5 with only 1 element inside.

I believe you will need to have all three of these in the same group, or depending on the intended logic - the first to be a checkbox, and then have a radio button for the one or the other week.

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi All,

I have attached a very simple example of a PDF-form showing my idea for a possible solution.

I would make possible choices for : week 1 / week 2 / a combination

I would remove the choice for a whole day, because if you select morning AND afternoon, this is automatically the same as a whole day.

Refinement of the form is still possible (like emptying the check boxes in case of a choice for week 1 or 2), but this is a first idea.

Best regards.
Attachments
WVN Workshop calendar.pdf
(38.12 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion Willy,

Indeed a combination of radio buttons and checkboxes might be best - given that some of the options are related - and can be selected at the same time. For those checkboxes are better, and the radio buttons should really only be used when only one of the options can be selected - and ensure they are properly grouped in the same radio-group :)

Cheers,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

This may also be useful:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... io-buttons

If you do not need it for a specific group you can reset an entire form through the Editor GUI also. Form --> Reset form.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Deselecting Radio Buttons  SOLVED

Updated version of Workshop calendar and simulation to toggle a radio button (via a check box).
Attachments
WVN Workshop calendar.pdf
(43.51 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Radio button toggle.pdf
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Willy!

Cheers,
Stefan
njbeep
User

Post by njbeep »

Dear All,

Thank you all so much for the response! Practically all the workarounds and suggestions solved my problem :D

I ended up going with checkboxes as i now recognise the fundamental difference between radio buttons and check boxes!

Warm regards,
njbeep
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad we could assist there njbeep!

Cheers,
Stefan