Bookmarks from text file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

TimP58
User

Bookmarks from text file

Post by TimP58 »

I have been trying to use the create bookmarks from text file function and I just want to confirm exactly what it is intended to do. I have successfully created a text file which will import and populate a list of bookmarks in the bookmark pane. All of these bookmarks have no destination associated with them, is the intended behaviour?

I understand I can work through the document and set destinations but I was hoping that the program would do this automatically. Is this outside the current scope of the tool?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Bookmarks from text file

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

You can add the destination (page number) in your text file like this:

Chapter 1; 1
Chapter 2; 5
Chapter 3; 8

If you like to have an example text file of how the txt file should be structured, then just do the opposite function with a PDF file that has bookmarks in it: click Advanced > Bookmarks > Export Bookmarks To Text File ...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks Willy!

Cheers,
Stefan
TimP58
User

Post by TimP58 »

OK guys I understand now that locations can be added to the text file.

What I had hoped was that the import routine could search in the body text for the given text and find the location automatically. Is this something that could be added to a future version perhaps?

Many thanks
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) Maybe there is a chance that you can use the "Generate Bookmarks from Page Text" option, because you say that the text for the bookmarks is already present in the PDF. But, for this to work, the formatting of the specific text (that has to be used for the bookmarks) should be different from the other text. Is this so in your PDF document(s) ?
In case of YES, then you can use that option as a solution.

2) If it is still something else that you are looking for, then please give us an example of what you are exactly searching for.
Currently it is not yet really clear (to me).

Best regards.
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Tim and Willy,

Indeed - if the text you would want to make bookmarks of is with different formatting - generating the bookmarks directly inside the Editor will probably be easier.

And if that is not an option - a sample file and the desired output (e.g. with a few manually created bookmarks) will help us all understand the situation better!

Cheers,
Stefan