Version 7 Printing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Version 7 Printing

Post by Arnold »

Something is not working right when I print in Monochrome from Version 7. I think the Auto setting may be doing the same thing. I am printing to a virtual printer in order to make a pdf. Here are the pdf file sizes when printing the same 4 pages with versions 6 & 7 in monochrome. With version 7, the preview in the print dialog box never changes, no matter what dpi is set. In version 6 you can see the difference.

Version 6
100 dpi 78.06 KB
300 dpi 507.56 KB

Version 7
100 dpi 1.39 MB
300 dpi 1.39 MB

I am printing scanned black & white documents. Is there something that is being fixed with the printing in the next release?

Thanks.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Version 7 Printing

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Arnold,

Can you please provide a sample document and a printer information so that we can test here and hopefully fix this.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Attached is a file called Test Document that I printed with both version 6 & 7 to priPrinter. It is a virtual printer I use to combine pages to create pdf's. Both version 6 & version 7 printed to priPrinter in Monochrome at 300 dpi. The version 6 file is 895 KB and the version 7 file is 2.07 MB. A big difference.
Attachments
Test Document Version 7 Print.pdf
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Test Document Version 6 Print.pdf
(894.38 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Test Document.pdf
(525.33 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is the same file printed with version 7 at 600 dpi Monochrome. Size of file is still 2.07 MB. Same size as when printed at 300 dpi
Attachments
Test Document Version 7 @ 600 dpi.pdf
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Version7 of the Editor prints images as grayscale in Monochrome mode, that's why the size of the file is bigger.
I made some changes in 323.1 build, and now when Color Override is set to Monochrome, images will be forcibly converted to B&W before printing. In most cases, it should help. But please note, V7 of the Editor trying to avoid image rescaling when it is possible and sends images to printers in their original dimensions. It helps avoid images blurriness and quality reducing.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you I will check it out in the new release.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

You are welcome Arnold,

We are preparing the 323.1 build now, and if all goes well - it should be our tomorrow (in the Evening/Night European time).

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I tried printing with the monochrome setting in build 323.1. It did help with the test document (color pictures) I included in a previous post. Still see problems with file size when printing scanned B&W documents though. Version 6 seems to produce significantly smaller files with the same settings than version 7 does. I will email the files to support for review as there is private info in them.

It seems that version 7 of the Editor has a noticeably darker preview on the Print screen than that of version 6 using the Monochrome setting with the same document. Please see below.
2017-12-15 08_52_10-Print.png
2017-12-15 08_52_10-Print.png (13.29 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
2017-12-15 08_50_53-Print.png
2017-12-15 08_50_53-Print.png (16.76 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Noted in other posts and being addressed.

Thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you for the reply John.

Ivan had posted "please note, V7 of the Editor is trying to avoid image re-scaling when it is possible and sends images to printers in their original dimensions". Right then I figured I needed a new plan for dealing with converting my B&W scanned documents to 4 up pages. I came up with 2 solutions.

1 - I can still print these B&W scans to the virtual driver using version 6 as I always did, but just do it in advance. I plan to keep a portable install of version 6 on the computer anyway, for when I have to run OCR on a long document. That way 7 is not tied up. I used to use the Viewer for that.

2 - I experimented with the settings of the Optimizer, and stumbled on settings that work with the larger version 7 files. Using these settings with 400 dpi scans works very well. The quality is pretty close to my usual method, and my clients can still print them just fine if they choose to, even on an inkjet.

Don't have a clue as to why these settings work, just glad that they do. So if you guys leave the printer settings as is, I think I have this figured out.
2017-12-23 02_49_58-Optimize PDF.png
2017-12-23 02_49_58-Optimize PDF.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Arnold,

Glad to hear you've found settings that work for you!

Merry Christmas!
Stefan