Changing the text format of text comments in popup notes does not always reflect to the tooltips text format  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Changing the text format of text comments in popup notes does not always reflect to the tooltips text format

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 10.2.0 build 384.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

Introduction
When a pop-up note about comments is opened, a text comment can be entered. The entered text comment will be displayed as Tooltips by hovering the mouse over it, even if the pop-up note is closed. The text format of the text comment can be changed in the Format tab of the Text Editing Tools and can be specified as the default.

This report assumes the case where the following two options are enabled in the preferences and text markup comments are added.

• Copy selected text into pop-ups of newly created Text Markup comments
  • Automatically open pop-ups for newly created Text Markup comments
  • setting.png
As shown in the figure below, when you select text in the Text Markup Comment tool, a pop-up note opens and the selected text is automatically inserted as a text comment. Immediately after changing the text format and specifying it as default, the text formats of the pop-up note and tooltips are mismatched. (I do not see the discrepancy at this stage as an issue. Of course, if it can be matched, so much the better.)

However, once the comment is deselected, the text formatting of the pop-up note and tooltips will match. See the video for details.

• figure.png

Animation1.gif
Issue
Here is the main issue. In the verification video above, after changing the text format, I specified it as the default, so the text comment in the pop-up note for the comment that follows will appear in that specified text format. However, once the comment is deselected as described above, the text formatting in the popup note and tooltips remains mismatched.

Workaround
Open the pop-up note, select all text comments, increase the font size in the "Format" tab of the Text Editing Tool, and decrease it again to restore the original font size. Then, as in the first case, if you deselect the comment, the text format in tooltips will match the pop-up notes from then on. However, it is tedious to make the font larger and then smaller for each individual popup note, so there seems to be room for improvement.

See the video for more details on the problem and workaround (following the first video).

• Animation2.gif
Finally
In order to inform you, including a workaround, this report assumed that the following two options are enabled, as noted at the beginning of this report.

However, if you just want a straightforward indication of the problem, it is sufficient to enable the first option. If the default text formatting is set in advance, it seems strange that the tooltip does not reflect that text formatting.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 10.1.1 build 381
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.2283
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rakunavi on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Changing the text format of text comments in popup notes does not always reflect to the tooltips text format

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rakunavi,

Thanks again for the greatly detailed explanation of the issue! I see the same as yourself - so I've made a ticket for our devs:
#6638: Default text stype applied to text inside pop-up note however not automatically applied to tooltip.

As soon as the ticket is resolved - I will post again here!

Kind regards,
Stefan
rakunavi
User

Re: Changing the text format of text comments in popup notes does not always reflect to the tooltips text format

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Stefan, for creating the ticket!
I am relieved to share my situation with you.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Changing the text format of text comments in popup notes does not always reflect to the tooltips text format

:)
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi rakunavi.

About the ticket #6638. There seems to be some misunderstanding here. You've changed the text format, but the focus is still inside the text box. This means that text editing has not yet been completed, and such changes have not been applied to the comment. Even if you hit the 'Make Default' button on the toolbar - the focus still remains inside the text box, and changes remain unapplied. Moreover, the tooltip always displays the text and its individual style, which may differ from the default text style.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello Vasyl,

Thank you for taking the time to look over my report. Does Vasyl believe that everything works as expected for all of the issues I have reported? If Vasyl says so, then there must be something wrong with my operation or use of terminology, but even after reading your message over and over again and operating the app again, the behavior still seems somewhat odd to me.

I am sure that Stefan agreed with my explanation, at least to the extent that he decided to issue a ticket, but does Stefan agree with all of Vasyl's explanation?

Finally, just to be sure, I have made one more explanatory video for you to look over if you have time. All of the following has already been reported in the first report, so there are no new elements. I have not changed any of the key operations. I have only devised the order of verification to more accurately convey the discomfort I feel in the operation.

• Animation.gif
Below is a description of the video content.

As usual, the verification video starts with all settings initialized. In the video, three documents are opened, but this is just for the sake of clarity and explanation, and has no particular technical significance.

In the leftmost tab, after opening the pop-up notes for each comment (highlight, line, rectangle, and oval), enter text from the keyboard.

In the middle tab, after entering the highlighted pop-up note, change the font type, color, and size of the text, and finally press the "Make default" button. All subsequent pop-up note entries will reflect the changes.

• figure1.png
In the rightmost tab, first enable the following two Preferences options and then highlight them. For lines, rectangles, and ovals, double-click to open the pop-up note, then enter the text from the keyboard.

• figure2.png
When you have finished typing the pop-up note for all tabs (left, middle, and right), switch to the Hand tool on each tab and check the Tooltips for highlighting, straight lines, rectangles, and ovals. The formatting of the text in Tooltips and pop-up notes basically matches after the middle tab where you pressed the "Make default" button, but not in the highlighted area on the right side, where the selected text is automatically entered into the pop-up note.

The following is a screen capture of each of the tooltips, merged into one screen using image software. The discrepancy between the pop-up note and the tooltips in the area circled in green in the upper right corner is what I am reporting in this topic. This seems very odd to me, but I wonder if it is as intended for you Trackers.

• mixed.png
At the end of the video, the font size is temporarily raised or lowered to match the text formatting of the tooltips and pop-up notes, following the procedure reported as a workaround in the first report.

As you can see, there is nothing new in the report, just a different way of explaining. It would be a miracle if there is any change in the Tracker's response.

Best regards,
rakunavi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello rakunavi,

Many thanks for the follow up post!
I've passed it on to Vasyl, and he will attend to it as soon as possible!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Changing the text format of text comments in popup notes does not always reflect to the tooltips text format  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi rakunavi.

We reproduced the trouble and will fix it in the upcoming new release. Thanks.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Stefan and Vasyl, for looking into this matter again.

I am relieved to share the situation with you.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com