Remove signatures (to run OCR) not allowed - why? How to achieve?  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

guebert
User

Remove signatures (to run OCR) not allowed - why? How to achieve?

Post by guebert »

Hallo!

From the Austrian public business register ("Firmenbuch") I get PDFs with signatures, I can't remove with PDF-XChange Editor. You find an example PDF attached (it's not confidential, as it is from a public register - anyone can get such PDFs online
11 - Kopie.pdf
There are "some" online-tools, which can easly remove such "restrictions", but I'd like to do it in PDF-XChange Editor.

Can anybody help me, please?

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Remove signatures (to run OCR) not allowed - why? How to achieve?  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Michael,

We are following the PDF specification, and would honour the restrictions imposed by such a Signature and not allow you to remove it.
You can remove signatures from PDF files in the Editor if the file was signed by yourself and you still have the private key for that signature installed in Windows.

Kind regards,
Stefan
BigMike
User

Re: Remove signatures (to run OCR) not allowed - why? How to achieve?

Post by BigMike »

Hello Michael,

use any PDF printer (for example PDF-XChange or the Windows PDF printer feature) to print the digitally signed PDF to another PDF. Now, there's no digital signature on the document and you can OCR the document.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Remove signatures (to run OCR) not allowed - why? How to achieve?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:20 pm Hello Michael,

We are following the PDF specification, and would honour the restrictions imposed by such a Signature and not allow you to remove it.
You can remove signatures from PDF files in the Editor if the file was signed by yourself and you still have the private key for that signature installed in Windows.

Kind regards,
Stefan
I see, but how about a feature to save otherwise with OCR? Maybe with a special Dummy signature and/or adding a special page at the end ...
Michael
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:37 pm :)
So it should be possible in a direct way, shouldn't it?

Michael
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Well, I guess, there are three possible ways:
- Protect the document from modification, such that the digital signature stays valid
- Allow modifications, but invalidate the digital signature and warn, that the document was modified
- Remove the digital signature

As I understand, the PDF Standard stipulates the first behavior. As it's technically no problem, to circumvent the protection, I guess, I'm not happy with that. But it's a problem of the standard, not the application. (Or a problem with the understanding from people of digital signatures and "non digital" signatures in PDF documents).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello BigMike,

Thanks for your input.
Actually when placing the signature you can decide what should be allowed - e.g. you can prevent any further modifications, or you can allow e.g. adding comments.
The files that guebert receives are likely signed with any further modifications being restricted, and we will honour that (as per the PDF specification. As already mentioned above - there are some limitations of the specification itself unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Stefan