Is this an image-based PDF file for me to practice OCR?

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

SanDiegan11
User

Is this an image-based PDF file for me to practice OCR?

Post by SanDiegan11 »

I downloaded the following file (Garage Door Opener Chamberlain 12-HP Whisper Drive Belt.pdf) from
http://www.chamberlain.com/CatalogResou ... 4A4252.pdf

On its p.39 I managed to select "3v2032" but I could not copy it. I think this is an image-based PDF file.

I thought I have installed the 3MB English and 60-MB Chinese OCR Packages correctly. (How do I know they were installed correctly?) Also checked for updates. But clicking the OCR in the Document tab got me no response as it was dimmed.

Have I missed some steps? Or am I barking at the wrong tree, e.g., this is not an image-based PDF file? If so, please suggest a better sample file for me to practice.
SanDiegan11
User

Re: Is this an image-based PDF file for me to practice OCR?

Post by SanDiegan11 »

Read more from

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 63&t=12326
Copy your newly downloaded language in this folder, modify the "Langs.ini" by adding the necessary entries for the new language, and make a .lng file with the same name as your CHOSEN_LANGUAGE.dat and copy the contents ot one of the other .lng files (and modify the language description accordingly) - and you will have this language recognized in the Viewer OCR tool.

But no instruction nor KnowledgeBase Items containing Langs.ini or CHOSEN_LANGUAGE.dat can be found.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello SanDiegan11,

You can not use most of the tools in our Viewer because those files are security protected, and as such copying of text is not allowed, nor is modifying the document (this permission is needed for you to OCR the file).

Regards,
Stefan
SanDiegan11
User

Post by SanDiegan11 »

Hindsight told me my initial 2 posts were not well thought out. If I know how to delete them I would like to replace them with the following.

Is there a simple sample image-based PDF file such that the advantage of the OCR can be clearly demonstrated?

With this we can also be sure that reproducing the result will confirm the OCR installation is correct.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi SanDiegan11,

The following file should demonstrate the benefits of OCR. I've left it as just an image of text so that you can get a better idea and see first-hand what it'll do.
OCR Image Test.zip
(4.69 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
SanDiegan11
User

Post by SanDiegan11 »

Hi, Will,

Thank you very much for the file. It helps me to understand the use of OCR in an image-based PDF file with PDF-XChange PDF Viewer.

I also made two separate pdf files from camera images of Engish and Chinese text. I am impressed with the OCR results. They allowed "copy and paste" inspite of the noticeable warpping in the source images.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi SanDiegan11,

Glad we could demonstrate what the OCR actually does, and are happy that you like it!

Cheers,
Stefan