Latin and Gothic Letters for OCR

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Ludwig
User

Latin and Gothic Letters for OCR

Post by Ludwig »

Hi there,

I would like to ask if you could please add Latin to the list of additional OCR-languages. But for me even more important would be the possibility to ocr books with Gothic/Black letters. Especially I am looking for the so called "Unger-Fraktur" as many German books from the 19th century have been printed using these letters. Do you think this is possible?

Thanks a lot
Ludwig
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Re: Latin and Gothic Letters for OCR

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

We will add Slovakian, Swedish, and German "fraktur" language data in the final release of the editor. We will not have direct Latin support, though results using English (or even other Latin alphabet) language selection will be fairly good since the word dictionary weighting is fairly weak (ie, it will not dominate results too seriously).

-Walter
Ludwig
User

Post by Ludwig »

I am very much looking forward to the final release then! Do you have a rough time horizon?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ludwig,

Walter tells me this should be available in the next few weeks.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Ludwig, I have prepared the Fraktur language pack and sent it to our installation guys. It may be a few days before it becomes available on the website but I thought I would update you to let you know that it will be very soon. It will work with both the viewer and the editor.

-Walter
Ludwig
User

Post by Ludwig »

Thanks Walter! This is really good news.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Ludwig, I have attached the language pack to this post, because I guess it will still be a few days since our installer people are very busy with the new editor release. You will have to place them in your language directory yourself, and we cannot provide support for this since we will have a proper installer generated pretty shortly. Languages for the *viewer* are placed in a directory called "ocrdats" off the main Viewer installation directory, e.g.:

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\ocrdats

In the editor, you will have to find PluginsData\OCRLanguages, e.g.:

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\PluginsData\OCRLanguages

Copy all the .lng and .dat files into those directories and you should see the Fraktur choices in your OCR preferences / run dialog.

-Walter
Attachments
Fraktur-Language-Pack.7z
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
Ludwig
User

Post by Ludwig »

Hi Walter,
Thank you very much for the files. Using the Viewer Pro (not the Editor) I tried the new German Fraktur (don't really know what Swedish and Slovakian Fraktur is though, so I didn't try those) on three books so far: Very promissing! Great job!
Ludwig
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Great! I'll pass the message along to Walter :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Ludwig
User

Post by Ludwig »

Hi, is there a way to train the OCR programm for better Fraktur-letter-detection? I found out that the programm systematically misreads "ch" what is turned into just "c" then. For example "Bezeicnung" instead of "Bezeichnung".
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Not at the moment. We may release a tool to help with training in the future. However, if you feel ambitious you can email us at support@pdf-xchange.com and I can point you in the right direction, but can't provide detailed support for it - you'd be on your own.
zzmarko
User

Post by zzmarko »

Walter-Tracker Supp wrote:We will add Slovakian, Swedish, and German "fraktur" language data in the final release of the editor. We will not have direct Latin support, though results using English (or even other Latin alphabet) language selection will be fairly good since the word dictionary weighting is fairly weak (ie, it will not dominate results too seriously).

-Walter
will be may added Croatian language ?

thank you
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Croatian will be available on or before the next build, anticipated in about a month's time. Meanwhile you can use any other language we provide which uses the same diacritics, if applicable (I'm not familiar with Croatian myself), because the word dictionary coupling is weak.

I will update this forum posting once we have included it.
Leonatus
User

Post by Leonatus »

This thread is quite old; nevertheless I wished to exress my big thanks for the "german Fraktur" ocr set! I had been desperately searching for this Feature!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Pleasure :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support