Opening PDFs in a new tab with the IE plugin

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

shaky
User

Opening PDFs in a new tab with the IE plugin

Post by shaky »

I'm working blind here because I don't have the plugin in question installed on my own computer, so please bear with me...

Many of my users (all in remote locations) now have Version 6, Build 321 with the Internet Explorer plugin in IE 11. We work with files stored inside an audit management system running on a company intranet site. Currently, when my users click on a PDF stored in that system, IE navigates away from the record and loads the PDF-XChange Editor plugin within the same tab. When they hit the "back" button to go back to the record, it goes back to the start screen for our system instead, causing them to have to navigate through various menus to get back to the record they were viewing. They would like to be able to keep that record open in its own tab and open PDFs in separate tabs.

Is there a way to cause the plugin to always open PDF links in new tabs in IE?

I suspect we can do it by right-clicking, but I would like to have that be the default behavior for left-clicking the files to make it simpler for our users. I have found instructions on how to do it with the Adobe Acrobat plugin, but nothing pertaining directly to PDF-XChange Editor.

Normally this is something I would just try to figure out on my own, but like I said, I don't have the plugin and would rather avoid putting it on my machine.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Opening PDFs in a new tab with the IE plugin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Shaky,

Thanks for the post - Can you share the instructions on how this would be done with Adobe? I ask because the opening of the link itself is handled by IE, not the plugin and I'd be interested in seeing how Adobe manage that; IE handles the link and passes the file to the plugin directly, so it's IE that determines the tab/window in which the file is opened, not us. As it stands, the only way that I'm aware of would be right clicking as you said, or changing a setting in IE to open all links in a new tab/window (depending on preference).

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com