Review Images When Scanning to PDF

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

frank pilhofer
User

Review Images When Scanning to PDF

Post by frank pilhofer »

Hi,
I just upgraded from v4 to v6. One major use case for me is the scan to PDF function. There is one feature that I am missing in v6 that there was in v4. With v4, I could review and reorder the scanned images before converting them to PDF. For me, this is an essential feature in my work flow, because I need to look at the images to decide whether the scan is good, or whether I need to re-scan a page with different settings.
Is there a rewiew function that I can add to the work flow?
Thanks,
Frank
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Review Images When Scanning to PDF

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Frank,

It would seem that you are correct about this! I have spoken to the dev team and created a development ticket to help track this issue. For now, you can accomplish this by using the 'Create PDF from Images' tool.

Make sure this option is selected before activating the tool:

Once configured, please launch the tool, then choose 'Add from scanner'

You can then re-order and preview the pages scanned (and even combine scan jobs) from this screen prior to creating the PDF:

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
frank pilhofer
User

Post by frank pilhofer »

Patrick,

thank you for your quick response. I will use scan from images as a workaround then. I look forward to seeing a similar review dialog in the scan to PDF workflow. In fact, I would not mind if the very same dialog was used for both. Some issues and nitpicks:
  • The image preview is shown at a fixed, small size. I would like to review the images at 100% size. There is a magnification scale, but it is greyed out.
  • It ought to be possible to rotate images (as it was in v4). When scanning magazines on my flat-bed scanner, I have to rotate "even" pages.
  • Is it possible to add a top-level button for "add from scanner". Better still, a button for "add single page from scanner" that would also bypass the scanner settings dialog? (Trying to minimize mouse clicks!)
  • The scanner settings dialog resets to defaults every time. Could it please remember the settings from last time (within the workflow)?
  • It ought to be possible to integrate OCR into the scan from images workflow!
Thank you,
Frank
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the comments!
The image preview is shown at a fixed, small size. I would like to review the images at 100% size. There is a magnification scale, but it is greyed out.
If it's greyed out, it's likely a feature that isn't implemented yet but is planned. I don't have a scanner to test with at this time, but does it become 'active' if you click one of the image thumbnails/when you deselect the thumbnails?
t ought to be possible to rotate images (as it was in v4). When scanning magazines on my flat-bed scanner, I have to rotate "even" pages.
Will pass that along.
Is it possible to add a top-level button for "add from scanner". Better still, a button for "add single page from scanner" that would also bypass the scanner settings dialog? (Trying to minimize mouse clicks!)
Will pass that along too.
The scanner settings dialog resets to defaults every time. Could it please remember the settings from last time (within the workflow)?
That shouldn't be happening, to the best of my knowledge. Will see if that can be fixed.
It ought to be possible to integrate OCR into the scan from images workflow!
Agreed, as it's possible in the Editor, so have passed that along too.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com