Requests for the next release..

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

oystlars
User

Requests for the next release..

Post by oystlars »

Hi, thank you for a great program pack, we bought the pdf-xchange pro for a while ago for our students and after using the viewer "as a student" myself for some days now I would recommend adding these new features:

1. As a student it is important that one can make notes fast (as the teacher speaks), therefore short-cut-keys would be appreciated. Example; pressing h-key for hand and m-key for markuptool, u-key for underline tool ++ . Also shortcut-keys for other functions would be great, for example using "delete" key to delete inserted objects (like sircles, textboxes and so on).

2. Undo/redo when one uses the highlight/underline tools; As of now I cannot remove highlight or underlines..

3. The possibility to both highlight and underline in the same text. This is sort of possible as of now, but one have to underline first, and then highlight. But it is inconvenient though. The same is true when using oval tool/rectangle tool; if I use the oval tool to emphasize something, I can't highlight text inside the ring afterwards..

3. Regarding highlight: One really great thing with xchange is the ability to hight text (that is horizontal). I would also like to have an ability to highlight text in images (then I would need the highlight-tool I find in MS OneNote).

4. Add/delete pages (esp. to add "notepages")..

5. Regarding the typewriter tool: If i set the font to arial it changes back to courier new if I make a new box, or even if I press enter to change line.. I want my new font to become the one of use..

6. The commercial in the upper right corner to be removed for paying users.

As of now the best pdf-viewer for school use, and the reason why we bought it. Hopefully it will be even better in the future..

Øystein Bakke Larsen
Norway.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Shortcuts are good, but need some careful planning across the application for future features as well as current features. H,S,U might work for Highlight, Strikethrough, and Underline, for example, but that interferes with your request that H selects the hand tool. Then what happens if you're currently typing and press H, S, or U? Or if you are typing in the Find field? So, it is not too easy to implement single key shortcuts. Opera does it with input contexts.

2. Right-click, delete to remove markup, but the delete key would be better.

5. Right-click, Text formatting, Make current text formatting as default.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
oystlars
User

Post by oystlars »

You're right regarding what keys for shurtcuts, using key combos allready used in other programs could be an answer.

1. As to the problem of one-key-shortcuts, there are very simple sollutions:
- either using additional keys, for example ctrl + h
- or making the keys tool dependant; like in photoshop, when you're using the text tool the shortcuts doesn't work until you quit that tool (by pressing ctrl + enter).

2. I know, but "del"-key is very convenient (and also the standard in other programs)

5. I didn't know that, thank you :)

Øystein
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I found I could make my own shortcuts with Resource Hacker. I decided on H, C, U for Highlight, Cross-cut,¹ and Underline, T for the typewriter tool, and Control Space for the hand tool. That works OK. Once one starts typing, h,c,u,t type as usual. Control Space won't work while typing, but Control Space will select the hand tool if one is not currently typing. I assigned Delete to remove a text object.

I think someone needs to take a long, hard look at the full list of shortcuts, compare them with Adobe Reader, and tabulate their suggestions. The best option is to allow the user to choose shortcuts, but one still needs a good default setup. Due to the almost universal use of Adobe Reader, I think PDF-XChange needs to follow its standard shortcuts very closely.

¹ I've not come across that usage before — "Strikeout" is the usual term.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Bhikkhu Pesala -- this works for now (and not with all commands), but will not works soon when customizing menu/toolbars will be enabled.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.