Automatically update page number

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MaHovi2vi
User

Automatically update page number

Post by MaHovi2vi »

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I had written to support because I create a form for the normal users. There pages are to be copied. Unfortunately the footer with the page numbers does not update. According to support, this must be reactivated every time. For the normal user unfortunately not optimal and therefore error-prone. Is there a way to automate this?

Thanks for your support

Manuel
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Automatically update page number

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Manuel,

Welcome to our forums.
Unfortunately headers and footers in a PDF file are not as dynamic as they are in e.g. a Word document.
When you create a Header/Footer - the Editor makes the necessary calculations and then adds static content to each page - just at the top and bottom. So once you add pages - there's no way for those pages to automatically get the Header and Footer.
It's just that the PDF Specification does not have a provision for such dynamic/interactive Header/Footer.

An alternative that might work is if you e.g. have a form field that is both without any border and also locked (so that users can't click on it) - that has some JS which would always show the current page. That way when you copy new pages with that field - they will get their page number calculated by the field script. However we can not assist with writing such custom scripts - to that would be up to yo to test on your end if you have some JS knowledge.

Kind regards,
Stefan
MaHovi2vi
User

Post by MaHovi2vi »

Hello Stefan,

thank you very much for your quick answer.

A regulation about a calculated field I had also already in focus.
Since I myself unfortunately have no JS knowledge, I am looking if here in the forum can give me a tip.

kind regards
Manuel
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Manuel,

Glad to assist and I hope you would get the idea with the Form fields working!

Kind regards,
Stefan