Ctrl+click operations to select or deselect object may fail on the 3rd and later objects under dotted selection frame

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Ctrl+click operations to select or deselect object may fail on the 3rd and later objects under dotted selection frame

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

When multiple objects are selected, whether comments or base content, a dotted frame appears, but I have found that clicking on objects while holding down the Ctrl key directly under the dotted frame to select additional objects or partially deselect them does not work. All three cases described below have this basic point in common, but there are some differences, so they are described separately. Note that the verification will be explained using comments converted from a single rectangular comment to four lines.

• sample.zip
Case 1: Comments

• In the first half of the video below, you attempt to select the four lines one by one in the PDF-XChange Editor while holding down the Ctrl key. When you select the second line, a dotted frame is displayed indicating that both the first and second lines are included in the selection. However, since the third line is under the dotted frame, it is not selected by clicking while holding down the Ctrl key. Attempting to first select all comment lines and then deselect some lines by Ctrl+clicking does not work as well. In the second part of the video, the same operation is performed in Acrobat Reader to show that the selection is successful.

Animation1.gif

Case 2: Adding base content to the selection one by one

• In the video below, I flattened the comments into base content, enabled the Edit Object mode, and attempted to Ctrl+click to select multiple lines as in case 1. In the case of the comment, the third line could not be selected at all, but the situation is different in the case of the base content. The mouse cursor changes in three patterns depending on its position as shown below, but only in the leftmost case (When mouse cursor is "S") in the figure below can additional lines be selected.

figure.png

It is natural that the rightmost case cannot be selected, but it is not clear whether it is the intended behavior that the middle case, where the mouse cursor is a cross-shaped moving cursor, cannot be additionally selected.

To summarize the above, in Case 2, all comments can be selected or deselected by clicking with the Ctrl key pressed when the mouse cursor is in the shape of S, unlike comments.

Animation2.gif

Case 3: Selecting all the base contents and then deselecting them one by one

• The following video also deals with base content with flattened comments. Unlike Case 2, you first select all four lines by dragging to select all base content lines, and then try to deselect the lines one by one by Ctrl+clicking. The mouse cursor is shaped like an "S" and you click while holding down Ctrl key, but for some reason, a single click does not deselect the line, and an additional click is required. I cannot determine whether the need for two clicks is the intended behavior or not.

Animation3.gif
Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 10.1.3 build 383
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 23H2 Build 22631.2715
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl+click operations to select or deselect object may fail on the 3rd and later objects under dotted selection fram

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello rakunavi,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

I sent all the information about this case to our developers and opened a support ticket.

#6702: Editor 383: Unable to select all the lines while holding the Ctrl button

When there is development on this issue we will notify you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we are doing our best to solve the problem in the shortest possible time.

Regards.
rakunavi
User

Re: Ctrl+click operations to select or deselect object may fail on the 3rd and later objects under dotted selection fram

Post by rakunavi »

Thank you, Dimitar, for creating the ticket!

I am relieved to share my situation with you.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule.
Please give my best regards to the developers.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

I realized belatedly that the case I introduced above as Case 3 has nothing to do with whether the object you are trying to partially deselect by Ctrl+Click is under the dotted selection frame or not. I also found out why it takes two clicks to deselect some selections.

In the following video, verification is performed on a flattened sample of three oval comments. In the first half, additional selection and partial deselection are performed in a manner corresponding to the previous case 2, and in the second half, partial deselection is performed after full selection by dragging in a manner corresponding to the previous case 3. Watch the video, paying particular attention to the changes in the Content pane.

• Animation4.gif
  • sample.zip
Comparing the respective content panes of Case 2 and Case 3 when all three objects are selected, the Path is selected in Case 2 and the XForm is selected in Case 3. Because of this difference, the first click in Case 3 shifts the focus from XForm to Path, and the second click finally deselects it.

• figure1.png

figure2.png
In God's eyes, everything is obvious and it may be superfluous, but I hope I can be of some help.

Best regards,
rakunavi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

Sorry for the multiple additions of information.

Above I reported that in case 3, when all objects are selected by dragging, the XForm is selected, but I noticed that when dragged so that only a portion of the object is included, the Path is selected. In that case, the single click can partially deselect the selection. See the video below for more details. As in the previous video, please note the changes in the Content pane in this video.

• Animation5.gif

full.png

half.png
Every time I encounter some issues, my understanding of PDF-XChange Editor deepens.
I just hope this completes the report.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, rakunavi

Thanks! I have updated the ticket with the extra information, have a good day!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello Daniel,

This is follow-up information.

The case 1 issue described at the beginning of this topic was found to have occurred after build 370. In other words, it worked fine until build 368. For reference, here is a verification video comparing the behavior of build 368 and build 385. In the verification, multiple rectangle comments are drawn and an attempt is made to select only the inner rectangle. Build 368 allows Ctrl+Click to deselect the outermost rectangle, but build 385 does not.

• Animation.gif
If we had a lasso selection tool in such a case, we could simply surround the inner area and be done with it, but the said feature request has already been rejected on the grounds that it is "too niche/ not very useful for PDF files". Thus, even if someday the issue in this topic is solved, the tedious task of Ctrl+clicking to deselect one by one will remain forever, which is unfortunate.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, rakunavi

Yes, this item is still being looked into, I am sorry it is taking so long to resolve, but do not worry, the team is aware.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com