How to 'clean' a pdf file?  SOLVED

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Music1609
User

How to 'clean' a pdf file?

Post by Music1609 »

I am working on large pdf files, 45mb and larger. After deleting or replacing objects and exiting the file the file size has increased / almost double. I know from working with other software that a lot of information and actions are stored in the file, is there a way to clean this history out of a file to decrease the size? My concern: one file has grown from 45mb to just under 500mb. I have compared the size (bytes) of the existing objects to the size of the replacement objects. The replacements are the same size or smaller in size.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to 'clean' a pdf file?  SOLVED

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Music1609

thanks for the post. Have you tried to "Optimize" it yet? File, then Save As Optimized will make a copy. The default settings are pretty good. I am keen to hear how small the 500Mb gets.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Music1609
User

Re: How to 'clean' a pdf file?

Post by Music1609 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:30 pm Hi, Music1609

thanks for the post. Have you tried to "Optimize" it yet? File, then Save As Optimized will make a copy. The default settings are pretty good. I am keen to hear how small the 500Mb gets.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Paul, Thanks for the quick response. So, I wasn't aware of the 'optimize' option. The '500mb' file was actually 463mb and optimizing brought it down to 34mb. Greater than my expectation. Also, I have not checked every page to see if I lost any text or objects. But a shrinkage of 90+% is pretty amazing. Thanks again!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

How to 'clean' a pdf file?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com