Feature request: Add "Goto Page" links to comment text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Forum and Tracker Team,

This feature request has been already raised but may have been overlooked, since the original thread (being about another issue) is set to "resolved". Therefore, I thought I'd open another thread particularly to this feature request.

It would be an awesome addition to make it possible to add internal links to comment text similar as with base content text.

The latter is done by selecting, for example, some base text, then right-clicking or hitting the hotkey for "Add Link", and adding a link to the selected text, for example a "Goto Page x" link, see in the screenshot below to the left.

With comment text, however, when selecting a word e.g. inside a text box, and then hitting the hotkey for "Add Link", the link is added to the bounding box of the entire textbox, not to the text that was selected.

While it is possible to add a link to selected comment text via right-click, this works only for Web Links, but not for other types of links, particularly not for links to other pages of the same document, see in the screenshot below to the right:

image.png

Of course, a GoTo Link that (if it were possible) is added to a text selection in comment text cannot remain fixed to that text (as a Web Link can). Instead, any such GoTo Link will be a link object floating above the comment text object. However, I believe that this small imperfection is easily acceptable in exchange for gaining the much advantageous feature of adding GoTo links to comment text selections.

Thanks for considering this as a feature request!

Best regards
David

--
Attachment – PDF document with sample links:
Add goto links to comment text.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Add "Goto Page" links to comment text

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, David.P

The "solved" flag is something that is usually placed by the topic owner, not us. Even if we do place it, it does not indicate the status of, nor have any direct relation to, the ticket(s) which may or may not be present in that thread. Our ticketing system is entirely disconnected from the forums.

Now, onto your request here; with base content text, we are adding a separate "link object" item that is imposed on top of the text itself, this object is able to contain specialized JavaScript actions and such to perform the various feats that you see presented in that menu.

Unfortunately, inside of a comment, we do not have that luxury, it is simple HTML hyperlink text, which severely limits what can be done there. You could use the hyperlink function, and enter a file path to open an external document, but I do not believe that it will be possible, without the use of JS actions, to perform tasks like navigation to a specific page inside of the current document. To accomplish that, you will need to place a link object, which necessitates it being part of the page, not hidden inside of a comment/popup box.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you, Daniel, for your reply.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:35 pmTo accomplish [navigation to a specific page inside of the current document], you will need to place a link object, which necessitates it being part of the page, not hidden inside of a comment/popup box
Yes, this is exactly what the feature request is about: To be able to programmatically place a link object around selected comment text exactly in the same way as it is currently possible with base content text.

Best regards,
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

I think you may have misunderstood. It is not possible to place such a script containing object inside of a comment popup. The specification does not allow it., these objects can only be placed on the page itself, and this cannot be placed "inside" of a comment/popup).

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes that's exactly what the feature request is about, Daniel: placing a link object above the comment object (not inside the comment object, as this is not possible as you correctly state), at the right place relative to the selected comment text.

It is of course also not viable for comment pop-ups, only for comment text that is always visible on the page, i.e text boxes and callouts.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

In that case, for the time being you will need to activate the "add/edit links" tool, and drag a box overtop of the comment on the page.

I don't know if x/y coordinates exist for comments text content like they do for base content text items (since comments are essentially flow based content). I will check again with the team if that could be possible in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you, Daniel.

You're absolutely right, the question whether X/Y-coordinates for comment text content are available (or can be calculated) is crucial for this feature request.

Looking forward to an answer from the devs on whether this might be doable. And, of course, to any other comments or votes on this feature request.

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Thank you for the patience, After a discussion with the dev team, I am afraid that we will not be able to offer this...

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Understood, Daniel.

Just as some of my previous feature requests initially were met with a fair amount of pushback but later became killer features of PDF Exchange Editor, I remain hopeful that all is not lost here ;)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com