Intermittent COM exception when creating printer

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

nick.tucker
User

Intermittent COM exception when creating printer

Post by nick.tucker »

Hi

I have an intermittent problem with PDF-XChange 4.0 build 197 running on Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 terminal server where HRESULT 0x80080005 is returned from the last line in the following code snippet which is the source corresponding to the attached crash minidump:

if (m_pFactory == NULL)
{
CLSID clsid;
if (SUCCEEDED(CLSIDFromProgID(L"PXCComLib.CPXCControlEx",&clsid)))
m_pFactory = PXC::IPXCControlExPtr(__uuidof(PXC::CPXCControlEx));
}

if (m_pFactory != NULL)
{
if (m_pPrinter == NULL)
{
LOGWRITE('Y',"Create PDF-XChange 4 printer [**]");

m_pPrinter = m_pFactory->Printer[L"", L"PDF-XChange 4.0", L"<our license number>", L"<our license key>"];

This works fine the vast majority of the time on this server, and its printer spooler process remains running throughout. Please help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Intermittent COM exception when creating printer

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Nick,

I have passed that to the devs, and they will answer as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Stefan
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Can you try to reproduce the issue when pdfSaver4.exe process (it is COM server of PDF-XChange) is launched manually before your application prints on PDF-XChange driver?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
nick.tucker
User

Post by nick.tucker »

Hi there

This problem is quite intermittent - it only occurs about once a day on a heavily used terminal server.

So I'm afraid it's not one that I can reproduce on demand for you.

Would it be perhaps possible for you to produce a debug version of your product that I can deploy so future minidumps would give you the detail you need?

Thanks

Nick
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I'm afraid it is not easy to help without reproducing this issue. Code error means "Server execution failed", and I'm afraid there may be a lot of reasons to get such error code.
If you able to reproduce this problem, can you collection some additional info when it happens, like is pdfSaver4.exe launched, memory/other resources used on Terminal Server, etc?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.