Insufficient data for an image error in Adobe

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jeffp
User

Insufficient data for an image error in Adobe

Post by jeffp »

I have a strange issue.

In the attached zip file go to page 45 in the "AFTER" pdf file. If you open it in the ViewerX it is fine. But page 45 in Adobe gives and insufficient data for image error and won't display the page.

All we did with the "Before" pdf file to create the "After" pdf file was to place OCR text in it using your DLL calls.

Is there anyway you can tell what happened to page 45 that causes it to not render in Adobe? Was it something related to the way we placed the OCR text in it. Strange that it opens in the ViewerAX and not Adobe.

Thanks.

--Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KarlTH
User

Re: Insufficient data for an image error in Adobe

Post by KarlTH »

Hello Jeff,

I had the same error message on other documents in our company in Acrobat 9.4 and with Acrobat XI there was not any problem. Maybe it is because of the JPEG2000 compression?
It seems that older Acrobat or Adobe Reader versions have problems understanding the image compression. :twisted:

Try the latest Adobe Reader version with all minor updates!
https://get.adobe.com/reader

Problem description from Adobes knowledgebase: Insufficient data for an image message after updating Acrobat
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/insu ... image.html

Best regards,

Karl
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Thanks. I'll look at that, but I still think it may have something to do with how I added the OCR text into the page. It only happens on page 45 and it doesn't happen in the original pdf, only after I add OCR text.
KarlTH
User

Post by KarlTH »

I am not an expert from Tracker Software but I had the same issues on ISO standard PDFs and the current Acrobat or Adobe Reader version always had no problems. Just give it a try! :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the help KarlTH!

Jeff please do give it a try as suggested and let us know if all is OK with the latest Adobe versions?

Regards,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Latest version of Adobe still has the issue. What result to you get if you open the AFTER pdf with Adobe and go to page 45?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

I see the same thing in the latest Adobe Reader and, in other Readers, see something slightly different (i.e. partial image rendering), though ultimately the same problem, I suspect.

Could you please provide sample code that details how you created the "After" file?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

My actual code is a bit complicated but essentially it creates a PDF page and places the OCR text using PXC_TextOutA and PXC_DrawText. It then adds that text to the original PDF using PXCp_PlaceContents.

Is there anything on the structure of that Page 45 that indicates bad formatting or something?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Jeff.

The issue is reproduced and we will investigate and try to fix it. Thanks for report.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Was it something in the DLL routines that place the OCR text? Or in your save to file routine?

Look forward to the fix.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

Vasyl asked me to make a ticket for this - the number is RT-3067.

We appreciate your patience here!
Was it something in the DLL routines that place the OCR text? Or in your save to file routine?
I'm not a developer, so I'll have to leave that to Vasyl to answer.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

What do I do with the ticket?

Will you repost here once the fix is done?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

The tickets are for internal use only, but use can use the ticket number to e.g. request an update.
As soon as there are any news in the ticket - we will post them here in the forums as well!

Regards,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Just wanted to get an update on this fix. My customer has been asking about it.

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

There hasn't been much movement on the ticket, so I've asked for an update. As soon as we have any further info we will let you know.

Best,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Will this issue be resolved in the new Editor SDK?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

I checked - it looks like that it is fixed in Editor..
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

But will it eventually be fixed in the non-editor components even if I don't get around to hooking up the Editor for a while.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Jeff.

I just checked the latest version of Viewer ActiveX SDK and couldn't reproduce such problem. Can you check it again with latest version?
If it is still reproducible for you - please provide list of parameters that you using for OCR..

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

This issue is still not fixed. Open the attached file in Adobe and scroll to page 33 and you will get the error again.

Just to reiterate. Page 33 opens fine in your ActiveX viewer. This is only an issue when opened with Adobe, but the file was created using your SDK Pro DLLs.

As mentioned before, my actual code is a bit complicated but essentially it creates a PDF page and places the OCR text using PXC_TextOutA and PXC_DrawText. It then adds that text to the original PDF using PXCp_PlaceContents.

I am using Build 4.0.313.1 of the DLLs.

Thoughts?

--Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Can you provide original document before OCR ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Sure. Attached is a Before-After set.

On this set the issue is on Page 45.

--Jeff
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

Looks like the file was stripped. Please try uploading it in a ZIP folder or RAR/7Zip archive. If the file is too large, please send it directly to support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link back to this topic for reference.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Here are the files separately.

Again, page 45.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

problem located and should be resolved in the next build mid month approx.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Great. Thanks.

What build will it be so I know which one to look for.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

The new build should be 314.

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

This issue has come up again.

Take a look at Page 21 in that zip file below. Again, the issue is when opening it in Adobe.

http://www.lucion.com/files/Example.zip

I'm on build .315

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Have you had a chance to look into this again yet?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

we are investigating this further as there is some odd content and properties of this document as it appears to have been created using our OCR libraries - but has PDF/A set has a flag and our OCR does not natively support this and when we delve a little deeper it appears it may have been made by some other method - perhaps you can throw some light on the subject ?

How was this file created and with what tools specifically ?

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Your DLLs were used only to place the OCR content into the file. Earlier in this thread I mentioned the exact procedures I am calling. Your OCR engine was NOT used to create the file or get the OCR Text. I use an engine called TOCR that gives me the OCR text and word coordinates. I just use those coordinates and call into your DLLs to place the text.

Also, to clarify, the PDF is already in existence before I place the OCR text. Not sure what program my client used to create the PDF (or he may have received it in an email from someone else). But I just open the PDF with our DLL, place the OCR Text, and then resave it with your DLL.

Let me know if you need anything else.

--Jeff
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Will try to reproduce it.

Do you reproduce that issue only on one computer or on different computers?
For now it seems like memory corruption during copying block of memory. And in all corrupted blocks, always sequence of 10 bytes is corrupted.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

It has been reported a few times by the same user. I assume that user is always using the same computer. It has never been reported by anyone else. And again, it's only when it is opened in Adobe, not your AX control.

Is there anything that can be done?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

I don't know where to look for the problem, frankly.
This file is damaged, for sure, but it seem like a random damage, and it looks like that is hardware error.
Can you ask the customer to check on another PC?
And again, it's only when it is opened in Adobe, not your AX control.
As I said, the image is corrupted for sure, but the Viewer tries to decode as much as possible, while another app might stop decoding and report an error. it is implementation defined.

jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

What about this idea:

I see that the original file in this case was produced by Total Image ConverterX. When we do our OCR, we just place the OCR in the original file using your DLL calls. Then we save the resulting file out with the DLLs, which changes the PDF Producer to PDF XChange.

Would it help in anyway if, before I did the OCR stuff, I just opened the original PDF in either your DLL or ActiveX control and immediately saved it out. This would make the PDF Producer PDF XChange before I even begin the OCR placement.

Could this quick save as possibly help here in any way?

I've ask my customer to try it on a different machine, so I'm waiting to here back.

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jeff,

If the errors are repairable, a save as should fix them indeed, however there might be some errors that the Viewer/Editor can "ignore" and still display the content, but fixing them might be ambiguous, so in that case no fix will be applied, and that broken content could remain broken.

In your case the problem is with broken streams and unfortunately those will not be fixed by a "save as".

Regards,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

But remember, the original PDF file, before I add the OCR text, is just fine. It opens fine in Adobe, all pages.

It is only when I add the OCR text and resave with your DLLs that the issue occurs. The last zip file I send has both the BEFORE and AFTER file.

ALso, currently I'm constructing a new PDF with all the OCR text for all pages and then using PXCp_PlaceContents to place the contents in the original file. Is it better to do this one page at a time, or is it fine to build all OCR pages and then call PXCp_PlaceContents once? Could that make a difference with this issue.

--Jeff
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

I don't think any of these will help as it seems that the problem is on the user's machine.
PXCp_PlaceContents copies content from a specified page of the source document and adds it to the destination page, and it moves all required resources (images, fonts, etc.) from source document to the destination one.
And this move is just a copy of the memory block, no decoding/encoding is done (in this case, because the documents are not secured).
And during the copy of that memory block some of them corrupted, and I do not see any regular pattern of corruption (like memory offset multiplied of some granularity, etc.), except that always 10 bytes of the stream are corrupted.

I would recommend first of all to test the memory of that machine, and also check if the problem is reproducible on another computer.