WARNING new update 368→370 [glitch] UI is reset

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

You read it right,

I have not even updated it yet:
image.png

Still, all my "Common" (I thing this is the user interface shortcut button layout) got reset. by itself, super weird.

So be careful, remember to take backups of all your settings and presets, luckily that is something I do semi-frequently.

The presets part of my settings seems to not have changed though , they all remained, rectangles, highlights, arrows and so on....

How could it be that all my UI suddenly is reset? Yesterday my ribbon layout was my usual custom one, as usual, so I think it most certainly is related to the new update.

Reset to default, screenshot (this happened automatically, and I think it is a glitch or bug):
image(1).png
Ca. How it was before (restored backup):
image(2).png
I'm excited to try out the new update though :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: WARNING new update 368→370 [glitch] UI is reset

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

My apologies, you said that this happened Before you even installed the update? There are no changes at all which the updater makes before you choose to begin installing an update, so that should be quite literally impossible... unless there is a third party app which has/could somehow reset/modify our registry entries? For that matter, I just double checked with the Dev team, and the installers themselves still do not even have ability to wipe/reset current user registry entries, (despite my insistently asking if we can offer such an option for "clean install" purposes), so even if you had installed before you spotted this issue, it shouldn't have been possible for the update process to cause it.

I am very glad to hear you had a backup of your settings here, but considering this is the first I have heard of a reset occurring, and your statement that it occurred before even completing the update process, I am inclined to expect something else, (unrelated to updating) is afoot. Perhaps it was a remnant of a bug in 368 which lead to your settings not saving properly last time you closed it?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:57 pm Hello, MedBooster

My apologies, you said that this happened Before you even installed the update? There are no changes at all which the updater makes before you choose to begin installing an update, so that should be quite literally impossible... unless there is a third party app which has/could somehow reset/modify our registry entries? For that matter, I just double checked with the Dev team, and the installers themselves still do not even have ability to wipe/reset current user registry entries, (despite my insistently asking if we can offer such an option for "clean install" purposes), so even if you had installed before you spotted this issue, it shouldn't have been possible for the update process to cause it.

I am very glad to hear you had a backup of your settings here, but considering this is the first I have heard of a reset occurring, and your statement that it occurred before even completing the update process, I am inclined to expect something else, (unrelated to updating) is afoot. Perhaps it was a remnant of a bug in 368 which lead to your settings not saving properly last time you closed it?

Kind regards,
Hmm... I guess we won't know for sure, unless someone else reports the same happening to them.
It's quite mystical... Especially since just the UI got reset... I don't think I could have accidentally reset this?
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

If it wasn't an accident or mis-click, than the only two possibilities I can suggest are that there is a third party software which prevented or reverted only some of our registry changes, or that there was a bug in 368 which you encountered shortly before updating.
All I can offer with 100% certainty is that the updater and installer themselves are not capable of causing this (especially because you state it happened before even installing the update), so it had to be something either in 368, or an external app, such as security software, that triggered this.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

The same thing happened just now

My UI got reset, before updating 370 (I think) to 380
*BEFORE* running the update.

So make sure to regularly backup your user interface and settings guys! You might never know when it might glitch and get lost.

(all my sessions are still there, and all my comment styles, so it is just the shortcut buttons and tab/ribbon layout (and keyboard shortcuts that got reset

See what I mean?
If I had reset my settings manually my sessions and comment styles would not have stayed....

Luckily I have backed up my settings recently, just wanted to report this to give a heads up to the rest of us that it most likely was not a fluke *this time or the previous time*.
Wishlist
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

maybe it is connected with the fact that I am not even able to restore my backup (which was created a week ago)
image.png
Wishlist
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

We can't reproduce such issue on our side...

Can you provide that settings file for investigation? To support@pdf-xchange.com for example...

And please be sure you haven't installed a utility like 'registry-cleaner'. Such app may periodically remove some data from your registry which is related to other apps.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello MedBooster,

We are terribly sorry for this.
Were you able to load your settings from that backup file before? Can you please send us that backup file? You can use our file service to upload the file.
Also, next time you run into the UI settings having been reset, please launch Windows Command Prompt as Administrator and run the following command:

Code: Select all

reg save "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software" <output .hiv file path>
( <output .hiv file path> is just a placeholder here, can be, for example, "d:\TrackerSoftwareSettings.hiv" )
Then send us the output file (zipped). Please do not attach that file to your forum post as it may contain sensitive information.

Thanks.
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Roman - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:13 pm Hello MedBooster,

We are terribly sorry for this.
Were you able to load your settings from that backup file before? Can you please send us that backup file? You can use our file service to upload the file.
Also, next time you run into the UI settings having been reset, please launch Windows Command Prompt as Administrator and run the following command:

Code: Select all

reg save "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software" <output .hiv file path>
( <output .hiv file path> is just a placeholder here, can be, for example, "d:\TrackerSoftwareSettings.hiv" )
Then send us the output file (zipped). Please do not attach that file to your forum post as it may contain sensitive information.

Thanks.
I was able to restore my settings backup file ( I just had to download it locally, restoring it directly from Google Drive would not work as it usually does)

It might be because the toolbar has changed?

Could that be possible?
That the user interface is reset if you add a new shortcut button for example that is in the default UI?
Wishlist
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Could that be possible?
That the user interface is reset if you add a new shortcut button for example that is in the default UI?
No, that cannot be a reason of your trouble. Our standard toolbars can be customized by the user and at the same time we can modify them by adding some new items - all such changes should correctly merge together as well. It is a basic requirement - to do not lose user's customizations in any case. So seems there is another reason and we must find it 'at any price'...
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:42 pm

Could that be possible?
No, that cannot be a reason of your trouble. Our standard toolbars can be customized by the user and at the same time we can modify them by adding some new items - all such changes should correctly merge together as well. It is a basic requirement - to do not lose user's customizations in any case. So seems there is another reason and we must find it 'at any price'...
Since I am the only one that seems to be reporting this, and it only happens a few times a year and I am able to load it back through my backups it is fine
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

It just happened today again on version 385. a few day s after updating. The trigger was simply restarting my PC (even though I think I had closed PDF-XCE properly and saved all documents.
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

We have really not seen anyone else report this, so we do suspect it is something specific to your machine - a clean up tool or something similar that does decide to wipe some registry settings and includes our Editor in that "wipe".

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

It just happened again , seemingly because PDF-XCE crashed (I tried waiting till the program would "respond", but it didn't), and when I reopened it the UI was reset to default (interestingly.... all my presets in the comment style palette are still there)

The reason it crashed was that I moved around some stamp files (making my own dynamic stamps)

Luckily I had backed up my settings (export settings) recently...

edit:

keyboard shortcuts are also reset, and the session isn't completely cleared but rather only shows sessions from October 2023)
I might have 1000s of sessions, maybe that's something that could be causing the reset.... I should probably back it up and clear it.
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, MedBooster

I am sorry I need to clarify, Is this settings reset in relation to the process of updating, as this topic states, or was it a random event tied only to a crash?

In either case, the first thing we will want to see is, a "crash dump". If you can please configure crash logging, and the next time this happens, fetch the crash dump file, and send it over to us, that would be quite helpful.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... estigation
Any information pertaining to what you were doing that may have lead to or caused the crash will also be helpful. If This crash also happens to result in a change to preferences, a quick "export" of the new preferences after that crash (before you import your backup of course) would also be useful for the tests.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com