[bug] "Input Files" / "Successfully processed files" / "Delete" deletes the source and destination file

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

[bug] "Input Files" / "Successfully processed files" / "Delete" deletes the source and destination file

Post by Jensen Head »

In "PDF-Tools" full interface mode and File Explorer context menu. "Unsuccesfully processed files" / "Action: None".
This action will be applied to successfully processed input files.
  • None - nothing will be done with input files.
  • Copy - input files will be copied to the specified folder.
  • Move - input files will be moved to the specified folder (note: files will be removed from its origin folder).
  • Delete - input files will be removed from origin folder (note: files will be permanently removed without the possibility of recovery).
Create PDF from Images.pdtex — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PP1uEi5gjA2A_Jo71H8UZBLSKaWFenOU/view
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: [bug] "Input Files" / "Successfully processed files" / "Delete" deletes the source and destination file

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Managed to reproduce this on my end - making a ticket now and will ask our devs to investigate this further!

Ticket created: #6516: PDF Tools deletes files unexpectedly.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Re: [bug] "Input Files" / "Successfully processed files" / "Delete" deletes the source and destination file

Post by Jensen Head »

With "Successfully processed files: Delete", incoming images are correctly converted to the selected format, but the original images are not deleted. PDF-Tools 10.0.1, build 371 (Enhanced OCR) (Jun 28 2023; 16:09:39)
_
Screenshot_2023-08-02_13-27-01.png
_
Images to TIFF.pdtex — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rHJm6b43Uuv6DtbfK1jgABp2N8jQySwW/view
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Jensen Head,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

Indeed the files are not deleted after a successful run.

I forwarded your report to our developers so they can fix this.

Regards.
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I didn't find any mention of this bug in Version History, but it seems to have been fixed. At least in version 10.1.1.381 (19 Sep 2023) I was unable to reproduce it. Currently, successfully processed files are deleted if the tool settings indicate this to be done. Thank you!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

If the "Successfully processed files" setting is set to "Move", and when performing an operation the error "There is not enough memory to finish this operation with the settings specified. Please select a lower 'Accuracy' level and try again" [1] appears in the log, then Clicking "Cancel" (or "Stop"?) deletes the original documents. They are also not in the destination folder for successfully processed documents. The materials are lost. It seems to me that in the current implementation the “Successfully processed files” function is very dangerous to execute.

[1] see #39281
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

So are you saying here that the issues reported for ticket 6516 are still happening in build 385?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I am not a tester or a programmer, and I cannot judge whether these are manifestations of the same bug, or the nature of this behavior is different. From the user's point of view, the problems are similar and appear when using the same functionality. I assume that the previous fix eliminated some of the problems associated with deleting processed documents when they should not have been deleted. But then I didn't check for the tool to terminate prematurely (neither by creating this thread nor by checking the result of your patch). Sorry that I can’t answer your clarifying question unambiguously. And yes, I'm currently using version 10.2.1.385.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

Thanks for confirming that it is the same issue (from your point of view) that has reappeared. I've just reopened the ticket and asked our devs to check that once again!

Kind regards,
Stefan