Diferences between PDF Xchange and PDF-Tools in OCR Converter

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

migueldebadia
User

Diferences between PDF Xchange and PDF-Tools in OCR Converter

Post by migueldebadia »

Good morning, I have the following problem, using the OCR of PDF-Tools and then exporting the text to a txt, the information I obtain is different if I do it directly with the OCR converter integrated in PDF Xchange or if I do it with the PDF -Tools.
In the PDF Xchange version, when I pass it with the PDF-Tools plain text converter, I have a version with text, but when I do everything from PDF-Tools, the version I get is very different.
Can it be automated directly with PDF Xchange? Any ideal with this problem?
Thanks for the help
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Diferences between PDF Xchange and PDF-Tools in OCR Converter

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello migueldebadia,

Welcome to our forums!
The settings for the OCR inside the Editor and Tools are independent - so please do check and make sure that you are using the same in both - namely that the OCR engine is the same and you are not e.g. using the Standard OCR in the Editor and the Enhanced OCR in Tools or vice versa.

If the two OCR engines are the same - can we please have screenshots of the exact setting you have in both Tools and the Editor, and a sample file (both before processing and both processed results) - so that we can run some tests on those here on our end?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Xmedia
User

Post by Xmedia »

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a similar problem. The recognition in PDF XChange Editor is much better than in PDF Tools.
I have noticed in the settings that I have a selection in the editor: Here I have selected the advanced module (FineReader).
With PDF Tools I only have the standard selection.

Is it possible to activate this in PDF Tools as well?

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards
Adrian
Bild_2024-01-08_020633017.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Xmedia,

Do you have a Pro license?
If you do - you should be able to (re)install the full Pro bundle and this should have the FineReader OCR engine also installed for PDF Tools.

If you have separate license keys for the Editor Plus and Tools - a tools license by itself does not include the EOCR, and that's why you might see only the standard OCR engine in Tools. If that is the case - please contact us on sales@pdf-xchange.com and we will discuss with you the correct option so that you can gain access to the EOCR inside Tools.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Xmedia
User

Post by Xmedia »

Hello Stefan
Thanks for the quick feedback.
I have 2 different licence keys:
1 for the Editor / Editor Plus
1 for the PDF Tools

I will write an email so that I get the correct option.

Thank you very much

Greetings
Xmedia
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Xmedia,

Thanks!
Got your e-mail and replied accordingly.
Unfortunately neither of your current keys covers the EOCR for PDF Tools, so I advised you of the upgrade options available to you over e-mail.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Xmedia
User

Post by Xmedia »

Hello Stefan,

I just did the upgrade.
Now it works :-)
I didn't realise that at the time.
The EOCR is extremely much better than the standard OCR detection. Especially when there are coloured markings on the document

Thanks for the quick support

Best regards
Xmedia