Portfolio- how to add more emails in Outlook

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

j.schneider
User

Portfolio- how to add more emails in Outlook

Post by j.schneider »

Hi all, i am a new user here.

I am the responsible IT guy for our office, and we are using the "Editor" and newly purchased also the "Standard Printer".
The reason to use these was that our main IT decided that the other Editor is unsafe and not to be used anymore, so here i am. :roll:
In the past we made heavy use of the other Editor portfolio feature to archive project related emails in seperate portfolios for each customer, subsupplier etc.

The issue i am having is as follows:
I can generate a portfolio out of MS Office with the Office-plugin, it´s quite slow but it´s working.
But it seems impossible to drag and drop more emails into the portfolio, the only workaround at the moment seems to be printing the emails as pdf and then add them via the menu, which is very time consuming and frustrating.

Is there any option or trick i am missing? Or is that really not possible with the pdfXchange? It was with the other editor...

I have already searched the FAQ and the forum but with no solution.

Thanks in advance, Jens.
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Portfolio- how to add more emails in Outlook

Post by Jordan - Tracker Supp »

Hello Jens,

Welcome to the Forum!

We do have a solution for this in our PDF XChange PRO suite. It is installing additional add-in for Outlook that allow you to convert emails to Portfolio directly from your Outlook client:
image.png
You can read more about it here:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxp10/ms ... -in_s.html
Best regards,
Jordan
j.schneider
User

Post by j.schneider »

Hi Jordan.

Does it really need the PRO? As i´ve stated already we have the "Editor" and the "Standard Printer", the printer already installed the add-in:
image.png
My question was maybe a bit unclear:

Converting to portfolio is working, but how can i add more emails to an existing portfolio?
With Adobe Acrobat (and i think also with the Reader) i was able to open the portfolio and just drag and drop more emails directly from MS Outlook into it, that seems to not work with pdfXchange? Is there any other way?
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Jordan - Tracker Supp »

Hello j.schneider,

You are correct that direct drag and drop does not work, but you can use two approaches how to add emails to already existing Portfolio (both are basically one extra step to what you are use to) :
  • You can create a new Portfolio with the emails that you are looking to add and them merge the newly created to the already existing Portfolio.
    You can drag and drop the emails in a folder and then use the add file or folder option in the portfolio interface:
image.png
image.png (12.82 KiB) Viewed 627 times
What our plug-in does is take any attachments to the e-mail body and add them as attachments to the PDF, while the body of the e-mail becomes the main content of the portfolio file.
Best regards,
Jordan
j.schneider
User

Post by j.schneider »

Hi Jordan.

That helps a bit, but new issues arise:

if i add .msg-files, a complete folder or a second portfolio to an existing portfolio, none of the values like "From", "Subject", Date", etc.
are added, all of them show blanks or "no value (in german "Kein Wert")", which is pretty worthless:
image.png
Do i have to live with that or am i doing something wrong?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, j.schneider

I see the same here, and have passed it along to the Dev team. I expect that there will be something we can do to change this in the future, but for the time being I am afraid that yes, there is little to be done. No settings we offer would change this as of yet.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
j.schneider
User

Post by j.schneider »

Hi Daniel.

That is sad to hear but thanks for the effort though.

Please keep me updated in case you add functionality.

Drag and drop out of Outlook into an existing Portfolio (or general drag and drop functionality also for other files) and also showing correct data (from, subject etc.) would be very nice to have.

For now the portfolio function only seems usable if you generate it once and do not add any files later.

Also one more hint, the Outlook Add-In with all its menus seems to be english-only, it ignores setting the language of either the Editor or the Standard Printer to german. Maybe because there is no german language file made yet or because there is no language option in the Add-in settings.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, j.schneider

thanks for the feedback, it all makes it's way to the team. and I expect some of this to be done, though as always what does get prioritized is always at the development team's discretion.

Regarding the translations, we rely on volunteers for that, maybe this will come soon, hard to say.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com