How to enable working on a pdf

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Music1609
User

How to enable working on a pdf

Post by Music1609 »

I received 'locked' pdfs. I have been asked to update certain information. I can convert to MS Word, but 50% of the info is either enlarged or changed to a different letter. E.G., the letter S becomes the number 5.
I can convert using OCR but that turns each page into 3 separate blocks, top 1/3, middle 1/3, and bottom 1/3. I can't select individual text or text objects. The pdfs are drawings. Any suggestions?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to enable working on a pdf

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Music1609

it is hard to say without seeing a sample as there are so many variations and possibilities for how the files are structured. Have yo tried reprinting the PDF to our PDF-XChange Printer? It will make a copy that has the visible content but will strip away nonprinting content and not be "secured". This does require that the security on the documents allows printing.

May we see a sample perhaps?

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Music1609
User

Post by Music1609 »

Thanks Paul.

I really shouldn't share too much, NDA and all. BUT, not knowing about the PDF-XChange printer option, here is what i did.

Printed the original document with the PDF-XChange printer option.
That helped unlocking the original document. But some of the pages were one complete block - I could not select any individual text or objects on the pages.
So, I optimized the PDF-XChange printer file.
So far, this optimized document looks like the original and I can edit text & objects.

Not sure if this is an acceptable process - meaning I won't run into other issues later - But so far so good.

Thanks for helping!!
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm Hi, Music1609

it is hard to say without seeing a sample as there are so many variations and possibilities for how the files are structured. Have yo tried reprinting the PDF to our PDF-XChange Printer? It will make a copy that has the visible content but will strip away nonprinting content and not be "secured". This does require that the security on the documents allows printing.

May we see a sample perhaps?

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Music1609,

Glad that you found a solution that works for you!
Most likely the original document is security protected and not allowing modifications to it, but allowing printing. That's why you can't modify the original, but can the printed copy.

Kind regards,
Stefan