How to OCR Without Creating a New File

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Hello,

In PDF-Tools, I don't see an option to OCR a file and save it, without creating new file with a new file name. I probably don't understand the options. What option in the "Save Documents" options should I select to OCR a file and save it, without creating a new file? I don't want to change the file name or anything--just batch OCR a ton of pdfs.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to OCR Without Creating a New File

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, bqxmprij

that is possible but not recommended. The following settings will have Tools overwrite the source files without interaction.
image.png
You choose the source folder and use the original file name. But we strongly recommend against doing this. If you do this there will be no possibility of reverting back to the original if there are issues. To be frank, OCR is not an exact science, as good as it is, all OCR, not just ours, makes mistakes. There will be times when you do not like the results and have no way to recover from the changes.

I would urge you to at least archive the PDFs somewhere prior to doing this. That at least will let you recover from any OCR mistakes.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Perfect. Thank you. I can get the originals again if needed.
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Should the "when file already exists" option be changed to "overwrite with a new file"? I don't want 900+ prompts.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com