PDF Field Identification

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

crutherford
User

PDF Field Identification

Post by crutherford »

I'm working with a form where I've inserted fields that are being calculated.

I'm getting the javascript console pop up with an error "Field: Calculate:8: TypeError: this.getField(...) is null".

Within PDF-XChange Editor, how can I find the numbers on fields so that I can troubleshoot this issue?

Nowhere in Properties that I can see does it show me what the numbers are for each form field that I have in my document.

Please advise.

Thanks!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDF Field Identification

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, crutherford

You would want to use the "field name" in the JS, not a numeric identifier.
image.png
Beyond that, we may be able to help troubleshoot better if we had a copy of the document, or a sample of the problematic JS. If the document contains sensitive information that should not be shared on a public Forum, please email us via Support@PDF-XChange.com with a link to this forum post, so we know it is related.

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
crutherford
User

Post by crutherford »

All of my fields are named, and I am using those names within my code.

The js console is showing me that there's an error in with a js...it's telling me which line but it isn't telling me where the js is.

Field:Calculate:8: TypeError: this.getField(...) is null

I can tell that it's in a calculation and it's on line 8 and even to the code that's giving me the error. What it's not telling me is where the code is located.

If I could see which field is throwing the error, I could then work towards finding the solution.

Thanks!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, crutherford

Thank you for clarifying, that makes much more sense than what I had originally assumed.. I have spoken with the Dev in charge of these errors, and he wants to look into making these errors more informative.

RT#6840: FR: JS error messages inform of cause location

While internal only, you can ask any member of our support team for an update on its progress. At this time I cannot promise a timeline for this change, but it is on the list.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
crutherford
User

Post by crutherford »

This will be a great enhancement, thank you!

Until that time though, what are the options available presently to help me identify the cause of the error so that I can move this project forward?

Thanks!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, crutherford

Manually checking the Js in each field will pretty well be your only option as far as I am aware. You can copy the JS from each field, and paste it into the JS console, (Ctrl_J) to see if it produces the same message.
Most of our support team is not perfectly fluent in JS, and are only able to offer basic troubleshooting when we see the code at hand, so without a copy of the file in question to discuss with the Dev team for this case, there is little else I can offer.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com