Editing Custom Stamps

Please post any ideas or requests for new features here for the End User Version of PDF-XChange (printer Drivers)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

Kryyth
User

Editing Custom Stamps

Post by Kryyth »

When you create a custom stamp with text and date entries in PDF-XChange, it is added to a stamp collection/palette.

You then apply the stamp to a PDF after type in and/or select dates you want on the stamp.

Currently, there is no feature in PDF-XChange to edit the entries on an already applied stamp.

Users need to delete and reapply a custom stamp again to make their changes, which can be very encumbering if having to apply the stamp on many documents at a time.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Editing Custom Stamps

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Kryyth

by definition in the ISO specifications the fields must be filled at the time the stamp is applied. As I understand things it is not possible to make a stamp that can have these modified after applying them.

Have you seen that functionality elsewhere?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Kryyth
User

Post by Kryyth »

Hi Paul,

No, I can't say I've seen this feature anywhere else.
That being said, it would bring a lot of value to PDF-XChange if possible.

As of right now my organization has been painstakingly adding text on top of empty stamps via Acrobat.
PDF-XChange offers the same painful approach, but it's nice that it is possible to at least do initial field entries.
We just can't edit them if there is a mistake made.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Kryyth

Sadly this will not be possible for quite some time, unless the Specification changes. We are beholden to the Spec, for the safety of your documents. Disregarding the spec can lead to mishandling when files are opened anywhere else, in turn causing file corruption , and eventual data loss.
As such, until this changes, we will not be able to pursue any requests for this feature, despite the large number (dozens if not hundreds) of requests we get for it each year. Most of our competitors are in the same boat as we are, and do not want to risk causing the damage that comes with offering that kind of disregard for the spec.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Kryyth
User

Post by Kryyth »

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your explanation. Can you provide which section(s) in the ISO 32000 (or technical specification) that you are referring to?
I want to make sure we are speaking on this subject in the same context, if not I may be able to word my question better.
Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Kryyth

Unfortunatley I do not have a copy of the Spec on hand, so I cannot quote the specific section, but it has been reiterated many times by our development team that the Specification explicitly prohibits leaving interactive content inside of a stamp comment. Comments cannot contain "form fields" (they are distinctly separate content types), nor can a single object contain multiple separate entry fields. Stamps clearly state that the item on the page, while it can be a collection of multiple objects inside of a container, none of those items can remain dynamic "after" placement.

Your question, (the ability to edit the content of a dynamic stamp which is already placed on the page), is one we have seen many times, and sadly, the answer has not changed..
An alternative request we have seen, (which is usually the followup to this inquiry when the answer is revealed to be "no"), is a way to create a new custom "form block" or "template" which acts the same as a stamp. Something that instead places a group of base content, and fillable form fields, which could be edited later. This one is "Technically Possible", but is exceptionally complicated to implement, and is not something we can promise will appear anytime soon, if at all.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com