Suppress font embedding

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

aisoft
User

Suppress font embedding

Post by aisoft »

Hello,
I am trying to generate PDF without most common fonts embedded but I am not successful. Plees see my source .doc, resulting .PDF and test project in VB 6.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Suppress font embedding

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Why do you suggest that fonts are embedded in your test PDF file? Actually they are not.
Of course a PDF file MUST contain some information about fonts to display text correctly, even if fonts themselves are not specifically embedded - this is required by the PDF Specification.

There are 14 fonts specifically that are supported by the PDF format without embedding could it be these you are referrign too ?

If so - there is nothing you can - or need to do, these fonts are :

Times-Roman, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol, Times-Bold, Helvetica-Bold, Courier-Bold, ZapfDingbats, Times-Italic, Helvetica-Oblique, Courier-Oblique, Times-BoldItalic, Helvetica-BoldOblique, Courier-BoldOblique

Also, in Windows Courier is replaced by Courier New, Helvetica is replaced by Arial, Times is replaced by Times New Roman ... automatically.

HTH
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
aisoft
User

Post by aisoft »

Thank you for making it clear. :D

I have another issue. When I add 4 lines of text into watermark, every line embeds its own subset of used font into resulting PDF. When I try to set embedding with PXC_SetEmbeddingOptions and PXC_SetFontEmbeddA functions, I receive an Error: PdfLib [Operation/Feature isn't allowed in PDF/A mode]. I did not set the PDF/A mode of document. Both read and writen documents are PDF 1.4.

1. How can I insert 4 lines of text as single watermark ?
2. What may I do to suppress the error specified ?
3. How can I turn the PDF/A format on and off ?
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Can you provide sample project and source files which reproduce each problem?
Please attach here or send to lazycat@tracker-software.com
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
aisoft
User

Post by aisoft »

In attached archive, you see the test project, input file (test.pdf) and output file (testWater.pdf). Please note that output file testWater.pdf contains eight embedded subsets of ArialMT font.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

You have not eight subsets of ArialMT, but only four...

However this is still too much.

You cannot mix the 2 library functions sets (pxclib40/xcpr040) PXC_ functions are for document creation and PXCp_ fuctions for existing document modification - both libraries use different structures and the functions call cannot be mixed.

Solutions for several embedded fonts:
1. Use PXCp_OptimizeFonts - after its use all similar fonts will be merged (if possible).

2. If you need to add complex content to an existing pdf file there is better solution - use the PXCp_PlaceContents function.

In a few words: you will need to create another pdf file using pxclib40 and then combine it with the existing file (remember that you will need to save the new document into temporary file, then read using the xcpro40 library, combine and then delete).

HTH
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager