Unpredictable generation of pdf files

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Gurmeet
User

Unpredictable generation of pdf files

Post by Gurmeet »

Hi,

I am using pdf XChange V4 in my test application which prints a pdf file by calling pdf-XChange API's.
I am not able to predict the actual time of genration of the pdf file.
Scenario :
I created a request for print from my code and sent it to pdf XChange, I checked my test app in debugger mode it executes the line of code where i am sending print command to printer.But i do not see any file generated in the destination directory. It generates file after few lines of code executed (In debugger mode).
It genrates the file after some time( in sec).

I want to know the exact line of code where i can ensure the pdf file generation in the destination directoy.

My guess is that it checks for spooled files. Can we set the property of PDF-XChange to directly print on printer bypassing the spooling ?
Please let me know, how can i get rid off this problem. ?
Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Unpredictable generation of pdf files

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Please note this topic has been moved to the developer forum...

This is not a criticsm generally levelled at the driver - most developer's will advise you it is one of the quickest available - we need more information on the tool you are using to develop with and also the type of files being converted - please zip and supply an example - some example code or a small sample app would help tremendously.

As a quick method to identify if it is your code or the driver - try printing to the driver directly (even in trial mode) for the same file content and check the file generation time as an indicator of where a possible issue may lie.
on receipt of the above info - we will try and assist further.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Unpredictable generation of pdf files

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

If you are using the Driver's API to generate pdf files it is only possible to advise printing has completed.

But after receiving data from your application our driver must analyze. optimize and generate thepdf content and save to file.

All those operations are time consuming, so we've made them asynchronous - otherwise the printing application will "hang" until everything is done. If you need to know when the file is saved you should use Events (OnFileSaved in your case) and make any synchronization required thereafter.

Hope that helps
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.