Must the Driver SDK printer be set as the default Printer to function?
I am currently evaluating the V4 PDF XChange printer driver. I noticed that the sample code was temporarily setting the PDF XChange driver as the Default Printer in Windows. The documentation explains how to do this, but it doesn't say why, or in which scenarios this would be necessary.
Is this a limitation of the product, that it works only if set as the default Windows printer?
As far as our driver is concerned and the need for it to be set as the default printer; this is generally not necessary. However, it is required when a developer's application prints an external file (for example, a Word Document using Word as the Viewer/print output method) and there is no ability to specify programmatically which printer the external application should send the output to (by default, all applications will inherit/use the default printer in this case)
More Like This
- KB#46: How do I post a support request to the forum
- KB#47: How do I rename the virtual print driver for distribution?
- KB#153: How do I purchase extended maintenance.
- KB#227: I have a problem with using the PDF-XChange SDK sample code with Microsoft Visual Basic in 'Interactive Mode' for debugging.
- KB#232: How do I enter my SDK serial and developer code into my application