I have a problem with File Associations and making PDF-XChange Editor/Viewer the default PDF Viewer
PDF-XChange Will not set as the default PDF Viewer/Editor in Windows or it has been reset to something else.
This is sometimes caused by installing updates to Windows, or installing other Software or Hardware which may come supplied with another PDF application. Despite your setting PDF-XChange as the default PDF Viewer (and even doing so via the Menu option File -> Preferences -> File Associations), Windows persists in using another Viewer/Reader as the default application for PDF files.
Setting the default in Windows 10
In Windows 10 Microsoft implemented a new menu and in some cases it will reset PDF defaults back to its new Microsoft Edge browser, and then prevent other applications from setting themselves as the default again. To rectify this, follow the steps below.
1. Open the start menu and search for Default app Settings:
2. In the window that appears, scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type:
3. Following that, Scroll down in the list that appears until you find the .PDF option:
4. The Default is most likely Microsoft Edge, but it may be unset, simply click on this and change it to PDF-XChange Editor (or your desired PDF viewing application):
5. Close these windows and restart the PDF-XChange Editor (restarting your PC may also be necessary in some cases).
If you also need to set web associations, please follow the steps below.
Web associations and Previous versions of Windows
More Like This
- KB#282: Why won't the "Send by E-mail" feature work in conjunction with Microsoft Outlook?
- KB#338: What are the MSI installation switch options for the PDF-XChange family of products?
- KB#447: How do IDetermine what version I should install/how can I retrieve my serial key?
- KB#286: How do Imanage licenses for PDF-XChange Products on a Windows Terminal Server?
- KB#415: Can I use PDF-XChange Editor to edit pages?