How do I use the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX control without the standard COM-integration usually required on a target system (e.g. without registering an ActiveX)?
You are experiencing unexpected behavior by the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX control, in your application.
You need to isolate the DLLs that are used by the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX control, in your application, to prevent changes or conflicts from other PDF-XChange applications on end users systems.
To achieve this you are required, by Windows, to specify as a substitute, 2 specific files: Server.X.manifest and Client.exe.manifest, both files are XML formatted files. The Server.X.manifest contains information about the external COM-component(s) to be used by the Client.exe application. The Client.exe.manifest contains a brief description about your Client.exe assembly and any dependency between the Client and Server architecture. In the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX SDK example folder: "Registration-Free COM" you will find examples of this method of use: PDFXCviewAx.X.manifest file (for the Server side) and Client.exe.manifest - a template manifest for any client application (Client side).
So, to use this method, you should:
1. Copy both files from this SDK-folder to your program folder.
2. Rename the Client.exe.manifest to <YourProgramName>.exe.manifest.
3. Open the <YourProgramName>.exe.manifest, replace name="Client" to name="<YourProgramName>" and save changes.
4. Check your program folder, it should contain: <YourProgramName>.exe <YourProgramName>.exe.manifest PDFXCviewAx.X.manifest PDFXCviewAx.dll PDFXCview.exe resource.dat
Having followed the above instructions <YourProgramName>.exe application will be able to load and use the Viewer control, without the usual standard COM-integration, on a target system.
More Like This
- KB#372: How do I Get support for a Developer SDK problem ?
- KB#227: I have a problem with using the PDF-XChange SDK sample code with Microsoft Visual Basic in 'Interactive Mode' for debugging.
- KB#269: Who owns the PDF format ?
- KB#31: I have a problem with compilng or running your SDK demo applications I am a getting an error message that certain DLL's are missing or cannot be found ?
- KB#234: How do I create Viewer SDK Server applications & unattended printing?