How do I use the PDF-XChange plugin to display PDFs in web browsers?
When I click a PDF link on a web page it does not open in the PDF-XChange Editor/Viewer plugin.
When PDF links are clicked they open in either the web browser or the default application for viewing PDF files. The browser-specific settings determine how PDF links are opened.
Follow the steps below to determine these settings:
1. Open Internet Explorer and press F10 to open the Menu Toolbar.
2. Click Tools and then click Manage add-ons:
The Manage Add-ons dialog box will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions in the Add-on Types menu, then select All add-ons in the Show dropdown menu:
4. Select the PDF-XChange V6 IE Plugin. (Please note that if a PDF-XChange printer is installed then there will be two PDF-XChange V6 IE Plugins listed, as detailed below. Select the Browser Helper Object add-on):
5. Click Enable to open PDF links in web browsers. (If there are PDF add-ons listed for other PDF products, such as Adobe Acrobat, then ensure they are disabled in order to avoid conflicts).
Please note that the settings in Google Chrome changed in build 57 and it is no longer possible to determine the default PDF viewer when Google Chrome is used to view documents. However, it is possible to change the settings so that documents are downloaded and opened in PDF-XChange Editor instead of being viewed online, as detailed here.
Please note that Mozilla Firefox no longer offers support for NPAPI plugins, which means it is not possible to view PDFs in that browser as the relevant plugin for PDF-XChange Editor does not support it. However, it is possible to change the settings so that documents are opened in PDF-XChange Editor instead of being viewed online, as detailed here.
More Like This
- KB#160: How do I make PDF-XChange Viewer or PDF-XChange Editor the default application for viewing documents in Internet Explorer?
- KB#429: How do I set PDF-XChange Editor as the default method for displaying on-line PDF documents in Mozilla Firefox?
- KB#280: How do I tell if I am using a 32 bit or 64 bit version of IE?
- KB#495: I cannot open PDF's in browser...
- KB#303: How do I use the PDF-XChange Editor plugin in the Google Chrome web browser?