How do I Use/Update the Portable Editor
I would like to take the PDF-XChange Editor with me everywhere I go, and use it on multiple PC's, how can this be accomplished?
This can be accomplished by downloading and extracting the Portable version of the PDF-XChange Editor onto your USB flash drive, or other portable storage devices. You will need to manually add your license key in to the Portable version after installation as it stores this information separately from the installed version. This can be done from the Help tab, by clicking License Key.
Note that we classify a portable drive as a secondary device for single user licenses, thus if you plan to have this on multiple USB drives, you may require more than one license. Each user is allotted up to two installation, one on a primary Desktop Computer, and one on a secondary portable device: ie. Laptop, Tablet, etc.
Also note that while a PDF-XChange PRO license key will work in the portable version, the PDF-Tools suite and PDF-XChange Standard Printer, included with it, are not available as portable versions, thus you will effectively be using the PDF-XChange Editor Plus.
Below we will detail:
- Installing a portable version to your portable device
- Running and licensing the portable version.
- Updating the portable version
Click the above links to jump to each section.
Note that if you have an expired license key, you will need to download the appropriate version of the portable Editor from our previous builds archive.
1. Open the PDF-XChange Editor Downloads page and click the dropdown arrow beside the Download button, select the Editor Plus Portable Version
2. When prompted by your browser, Open or Save the file.
3. The Windows Compressed Folder window will open, click Extract all
4. The Extract Compressed (Zipped) Folders dialog will open, click Browse to begin selecting a destination.
5. Locate your portable device and create a folder in an easy to access location. Give this a memorable name, such as PDF-XChange.
**Note: While it is possible to run the portable Editor without creating its own folder, it is ill advised as this can lead to conflicts with other files stored on your portable device.
6. Click Select Folder, and the click Extract.
A window will appear, displaying the extraction progress, once this completes, the new folder on your portable drive will open automatically.
The PDF-XChange Editor is now available to be used on this portable drive from most Windows PC's you connect this device to.
Note that the portable version is always 32-bit, this means that it should be compatible with all recent version of windows, from Windows XP and up. Using older version of windows may work, however we may be unable to provide effective support for issues encountered in prior versions of Windows.
Running the portable Editor is simple, however as the portable version is isolated between installations, you must also add your license key into the portable Editor manually with each installation. This can be circumvented by following the Update instructions, which will carry over licensing information.
1. To run the portable version, open the folder you have extracted the PDF-XChange Editor to and double click the PDFXEdit.exe file that is present
The PDF-XChange Editor will open.
2. On the Help tab, click License Key.
The Registration Info Window will open:
3. Click Add New License Key...
4. The Add New License Key/Activation Code dialog will open, click Paste Key from Clipboard.
5. Click Continue, your license key will now apply to the portable version of the PDF-XChange Editor.
Note that we classify a portable drive as a secondary device for single user licenses, Thus if you plan to have this on multiple USB drives, you may require more than one license. Each user is allotted up to two installation, one on a primary Desktop Computer, and one on a secondary portable device: ie. Laptop, Tablet, etc.
If you encounter any issues following the licensing instructions, please contact Support@tracker-software.com for assistance.
Updating may be desirable if you do not wish to reapply your license key, have many customizations in your current portable version, or if Tracker Software has requested you update to resolve an issue. Follow the below instructions to update the portable version.
Note that the Settings and UI customizations cannot be carried over between all Major version updates, (eg. V6 UI customizations cannot be used for V7 installations). This is to allow us more freedom to give you the best features and UI
1. Navigate to the folder containing your portable installation of the PDF-XChange Editor.
2. Select the Settings.dat file and move it to a safe location. (such as the current PC's Desktop)
3. Select all file inside the current folder, and Delete them. Either by pressing Delete on your keyboard, or by clicking the Delete button on the Home tab.
4. Download and extract the latest version by following the these instructions, then return here to continue these steps.
5. Once the new files have been extracted to this folder, simply copy the old settings.dat file back into this directory
Your installation of the portable Editor is now up to date.
If you encounter any issues with licensing after performing an update, you license key may either be expired or blocked due to an upgrade. Please contact Support@tracker-software.com with your license key information so that we can assist you.
More Like This
- KB#447: Determine what version I should install/how can I retrieve my serial key?
- KB#282: Why won't the "Send by E-mail" feature work in conjunction with Microsoft Outlook?
- KB#338: What are the MSI installation switch options for the PDF-XChange family of products?
- KB#269: Who owns the PDF format?
- KB#456: How do ICustomize toolbars in the Editor