How do I setup Watched Folders in PDF-Tools
I have a number of folders where I commonly place documents and other files that I would like to be automatically processed by certain tools without interaction, Is this possible?
Yes! PDF-Tools offers Folder Monitors, or Watched Folders as a key function. This allows you to specify a folder to watch, and a number of other parameters to handle these situations. Note that when folder monitors are in use with "Disable interaction" enabled, some settings are assumed and cannot be customized during processing.
Setup a Folder Monitor
Any PDF-Tools Tool can be used on a folder monitor, and the process to set them up is quite simple.
1. With PDF-Tools opened, click on the Options dropdown and choose Folder Monitors.
2. From the window that appears, choose Create (or Edit if you are changing an existing monitor).
3. Define your options from the dialog that appears, then click OK (advanced options are defined below).
- Priority will determine the order in which Folder Monitors operate, High priority monitors will always complete processing before Medium and Low priority begin processing.
- Tool UI interaction can be used to disable interaction with the tool. This is helpful if you wish for the process to be entirely automated. Note that choosing Disable interaction assumes the tool you have selected is perfectly setup to work like this. As an example, when leaving actions in their default state, the Save action to place all files processed in the "My Documents" folder. Please see this article for details on creating Custom Tools.
- Monitor Subfolders will look in any folders within the Folder you have selected, not only at the existing files in the main folder.
4. Finally, Select the Monitor and Choose Enable to turn it on (Note that you must enable the monitor each time windows starts).
As mentioned in Step 4 above, Monitors must be turned on with each startup of windows. This is to prevent unwanted processes from beginning during login. You can setup Windows to automatically start Folder monitors during login.
1. Open the Folder Monitors as detailed above, then Right click on the desired monitor and choose Create Shortcut on Desktop:
2. The Windows File Explorer will open, In the search bar at the top of the Windows File Explorer, paste the following:
3. Move the new PDF-Tools icon from your desktop into this folder:
With this in place, the Folder Monitor will automatically be started every time that you log into your user account in windows.
If you have further questions, please direct them to Support@tracker-software.com
More Like This
- KB#456: How do ICustomize toolbars in the Editor
- KB#282: Why won't the "Send by E-mail" feature work in conjunction with Microsoft Outlook?
- KB#338: What are the MSI installation switch options for the PDF-XChange family of products?
- KB#447: Determine what version I should install/how can I retrieve my serial key?
- KB#286: How do Imanage licenses for PDF-XChange Products on a Windows Terminal Server?