V4 NOT rendering output from MS Publisher 2007 correctly

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

yakishsallyb
User

V4 NOT rendering output from MS Publisher 2007 correctly

Post by yakishsallyb »

Using MS Publisher 2007 on Vista.
Just installed build 144

Pages have mixed graphics and text.

Alignment of the elements is way off. and unsatisfactory.

It works fine in PDF-XChange V3. I have gone back to using V3 until this is fixed.

I will provide attachments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

We have tested here and cannot reproduce.

Can you please try and print this file directly to the PDF-XChange 4.0 Printer using the File -> Print method.

If this problem occurs again then please do as outlined in this FAQ and provide us with the files outlined and we will be pleased to take another look.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum/v ... .php?t=800

Many thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

I attempted to follow the instructions in the FAQ provided.

- I received a "not found" in the attachment in the FAQ.
- It did not generate the .xml file documented in the FAQ. (I searched my entire hard drive for any files with p*.xml).
- I have both version 3 and version 4 loaded. Only one version of the PDFSaver process was running in the Task Manager. I don't know if that's significant. I had PDFSaver4 running when I generated the temp file.
- The .tmp file mentioned in the FAQ was NOT in the Windows Temp directory, but rather in C:\Users\Sally\AppData\Local\Temp

The attached zip folder has the original PUB document, the generated PDF document, and the tmp file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

I just tried replicating this problem in Word2007. The same thing happens. The text and graphic elements are not positioned properly.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I have the same result as you from your temp file, but l cannot reproduce the problem on my system. I had try with Publisher 2007 (12.0.6211.1000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000).

Can you say version of Publisher used (can be gathered from About dialog) ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (12.0.6211.1000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000)

Also get mal-alignment with:
Microsoft Office Word 2007 (12.0.6212.1000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000)

and
Internet Explorer Version 7

I think the common thread here may be Vista - maybe not the application?
I am running Vista Home Premium, and have been updating regularly with Windows Update.
Also I am running Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Do you print using default resolution (300 dpi) or had change it ?

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

Pretty sure I went with the default of 300, although I have toyed with 600, earlier on with the same alignment issues. I know the cross doesn't come out great at 300, but that is the least of the concerns.
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

I've been sitting here comparing the correct results in the PDF file generated by version 3, against the incorrect results generated by version 4.

It LOOKS like all the text is shifted down by about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. And all of the graphic elements are printing in the right position.

So perhaps you need to look at what's going on with the text placement?
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

All my applications produce this problem. It's not limited to Publisher or Office.
Attached is a simple example of plain text printed from Notepad.
Note that the top margin is bigger than it should be, then all the line spacing is compressed so that the right amount of text fits on the page.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Looks like I see where the problem can be.
Can you using regedit export and send me a piece of registry located under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers\PDF-XChange 4.0\Profiles
?

yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

Here is the Registry Export file
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Please try to change "Sheet Size" to "Auto" onto "Paper" page of driver Preferences.

yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

This appears to have fixed it. Thank you very much.

I never would have guessed to make this change. I assumed that matching the sheet size and page size fields to a standard size (Letter/ANSI A) would be copasetic.

Is this the way it is supposed to behave?
I can't find anything that explains this distinction in the help file.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Hi,

When the sheet size is set to Auto, it will always have the same dimensions as the paper size.

If you set the Sheet size to the same value as the Paper size it will work until the printing application will not allow the change of paper size (it cannot change Sheet size). In this case, PDF-XChange will place the paper on the sheet using all other settings (Scaling, Offsets, etc.)

Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Hi,

By the way, there was an issue with text positions when the Paper size and Sheet size are different. Fixed in build 145.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Build 145 is now ready for Download :

Download latest Releases
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads/
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
yakishsallyb
User

Post by yakishsallyb »

I give up. I tried your new build 0145.
It appears to me that "auto" Sheet Size is the only way to get correct results. If I try to match the Sheet Size to the Page Size, using the standard Letter/ANSI in both, then the resulting page size is not Letter/ANSI, but 8.268 x 11.693, which are the dimensions that are grayed-out right under that field.

Whatever. I'll just use "auto" and I'll get by.

At this point the layout section appears to be pretty useless.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Will check again handling of SheetSize.