No Document Properties

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Athena
User

No Document Properties

Post by Athena »

I am evaluating PDF-XChange and would like to verify that the licensed product will populate the document properties with information input when a document is created from selected web content.

I have had to go back and input the information using the viewer for everything and I just want to be sure that this is a restriction of the unlicensed version and not a bug.

Thank you.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: No Document Properties

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Forgive my slightly 'slow' pickup - not sure to what you are referring .. ?

Are you saying that you have filled in a form online ?

If so, you can save it to your local disk and it should retain changes - and this is available in the free version - not just the paid for version and should work now without any license being required.

If this is not happening for you - please send a link to the form concerned and we will investigate and advise - or if I have misunderstood - please could explain in more detail the issue.

Also - the author of the document may have placed restrictions on what you are allowed to do - which could be a possible reason.

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Athena
User

Post by Athena »

I'm talking about the document properties for a PDF that is generated from web (or any other) content. This is one of my most frequent uses for PDF generation so the details are important. I frequently find content on the web that I want to save for future reference. I save the articles as PDF files and use the document properties as search criteria:

1. Select the part of the page to be kept
2. Right Click and select Print
3. Choose PDF-Xchange as the printer and click the radio button to print the selection, then click Print. At that point, PDF-Xchange converts the content then displays a SaveAs dialog
4. On the SaveAs Dialog, click the "Additional Properties" button and use the Information tab to input the document properties, then save the document.

When I open the document in the viewer and display the document properties, there's nothing there. Is this a bug or is it just a restriction of the evaluation version?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Looks like it is a bug. Which build of the driver do you use ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Athena
User

Post by Athena »

I just downloaded this a couple of days ago and I'm using Version 4.0, Build 159.

I'm disappointed to hear that it is actually a bug. PDF-Xchange Viewer is the only PDF product I've found (other than Acrobat) that supports XMP metadata and I was hoping that the PDF Exchange driver would let the user do everything in one step :(
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Sorry, I had discovered, and found it is not a bug, but 'unclear' feature.
To have this information stored as expected, please turn on option "Place additional information Into the Document" on "Document Info" page of Printer Preferences.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

PDF-Xchange Viewer is the only PDF product I've found (other than Acrobat) that supports XMP metadata.
For your information: PDF-XChange viewer also support Adobe's custom XMP dialogs, but this dialogs should be modified a bit to conform XML specification. If it is interest for you, I can send some examples.

Athena
User

Post by Athena »

Excellent! Not only does that work, but there's also an option to always prompt for the information.
Sorry, I had discovered, and found it is not a bug, but 'unclear' feature.
I think that's an understatement :P

It's confusing to offer the option to add information on the Save As dialog without noting that the information won't actually be added unless the printer configuration has been tweaked. I think I'd prefer to have that option checked by default. At the very least, the fields should be deactivated if the information will not be modified.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

It's confusing to offer the option to add information on the Save As dialog without noting that the information won't actually be added unless the printer configuration has been tweaked.
Agree, will redesign into the next build.